Kony 2012

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52709 by
Kony 2012 was created by
In case any of you haven't seen Invisible Children or have not yet seen this update I wanted to share this with all of you and I hope that you can find the time to become aware of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #52713 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Kony 2012
Here's some recent news on the LRA, hopefully pressure from lots of different angles can end it;

Tom Miles wrote: Wed Mar 7, 2012 7:23am GMT, GENEVA (Reuters) - The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a cultish militia that has terrorised parts of Africa for decades, has launched a new spate of attacks in Democratic Republic of Congo this year after a lull in the second half of 2011, the UN refugee agency UNHCR said on Tuesday.

One person has been killed, 17 abducted and 3,000 displaced in 20 attacks in Orientale province in northeastern Congo this year. The renewed violence was a cause of concern, UNHCR said.

"In the last year the area was more secure," said Celine Schmitt, a UNHCR spokeswoman by phone from Kinshasa.

But Mounoubai Madnodje, a spokesman for the UN's Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO), said the LRA was on its last legs.

"We think right now it's the last gasp of a dying organisation that's still trying to make a statement," he said.

The LRA, which emerged in northern Uganda in the late 1990s, is believed to have killed, kidnapped and mutilated tens of thousands of people in a reign of terror across some of Africa's most remote and hostile terrain.

It appears to have lost much of its power under mounting pressure. Its leader Joseph Kony is wanted by the International Criminal Court, the African Union has designated it as a terrorist group, and in October the United States sent 100 military personnel, mainly special forces, to train and advise the forces fighting against the LRA.

Madnodje said there are only about 200 LRA fighters left. They work in small groups of five or six, raiding villages to steal food and forcing one or two people to work as porters.

"They used to control villages and take hostages. Right now it looks more like people trying to survive than anything else," he said. "It's small scale attacks.

"At this level, with the attitude of the (local) people, I don't think they will be able to recruit more people."

But experts on the LRA were sceptical about writing off Kony's force too soon. Mareike Schomerus at the London School of Economics said small scale attacks did not necessarily mean the LRA was getting weaker.

"It doesn't tell us anything because it's the same thing they have been doing for the last 25 years," she said. "They tend to attack more when they're under military pressure and military pressure has been increasing in the last few months, since October especially.

"At some point the Congolese government claimed they were down to nine people. It's impossible to say. Estimates of numbers are very hard to verify".

David Leonard, a professor at the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex, said the LRA was "on the back foot" but low level raids were their normal way of operating.

"Most of their recruits have been brought into the organisation through this kind of raiding," he said. "If they can't raid they can't survive."

He added that the pattern of attacks -- a lull late last year and a resumption this year -- may simply reflect the wet and dry seasons rather than indicating any change in the LRA.

The difficult conditions and remote location will also hamper efforts to snuff out the LRA, and the attacks were likely to continue at an increasingly low level until local villagers felt they could stand up to the LRA, he said.

But a hard core of veterans around Kony would not give up easily.

"As you get fewer and fewer people, those that are left are going to be true believers, senior officers who, probably quite rightly, have no confidence that if they're captured will get treated with any sort of civility," he said.

"I think keeping them on the back foot is as much as you could reasonably expect."

Source

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52768 by
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

I felt the need to pass this video on to more people. I didn't know who Joseph Kony was until I watched this video and I hope by the end of today, you know him too! Uganda isn't a place where most people's eyes will look upon. I didn't even know what the fighting was all about. It seems this time, this is a case of pure evil and love of power twisting the very fabric of a country's structure. There is no logic to this war. To quote Alfred in the Dark Knight, "Some men just want to see the world burn!" The more people know, the more people can do something.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #52775 by ren
clearly, getting rid of amin was no solution, why would doing the same again change anything?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
12 years 2 months ago #52776 by Proteus
I believe there is already a topic for this - http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Discussions/52709-Kony-2012

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
12 years 2 months ago #52790 by Adder

ren wrote: clearly, getting rid of amin was no solution, why would doing the same again change anything?

You dont need to have hope about freedom to have a hope of being freed, but having hope allows people to free their minds from hopelessness and start dreaming, planning and maybe taking effective actions. I guess knowing some people are trying to ease your suffering might be enough to give some people hope, if not directly helping them already so its good to read some progress on the ground is reducing the LRA's scope. It reminded me of this upcoming movie;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddnloOFjwY

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 2 months ago #52794 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Kony 2012
Hope is overrated. WILL, that's what they need. The willing can acomplish anything. They want peace, democracy, freedom? They can act, go to any lengths necessary and not bulge. That's how things get done.Hope is nothing but a lovey-dovey feeling that makes people feel better about themselves no matter how low they are. It can provide a morale boost when there's poor results, but hope on its own is worse than no hope at all. They need to sort it once and for all, themselves.

And probably ban religion too. Christianity is toxic to that continent.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #52796 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kony 2012
Didn't you see the part where the young boy thought that dying would be better than living? Doesn't seem like they have much will without support? If the rest of the world forgets about them, it is less likely that they themselves will find the will.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #52797 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Kony 2012

ren wrote: Hope is overrated. WILL, that's what they need. The willing can acomplish anything. They want peace, democracy, freedom? They can act, go to any lengths necessary and not bulge. That's how things get done.Hope is nothing but a lovey-dovey feeling that makes people feel better about themselves no matter how low they are. It can provide a morale boost when there's poor results, but hope on its own is worse than no hope at all. They need to sort it once and for all, themselves.

One way to process decision making was to observe, orient, decide and act (OODA). More recently I've read Find, Fix, Finish, Exploit and Analyze (F3EA). I was wondering if the later replaced the former but I think F3EA is a specific cycle of action, so its probably OODAF3EA rinse and repeat (or more correctly OODF3EA).

I'd have to bet hopeless action has less of a chance then action based on hope. Having hope at least means sufficient opportunity for success exists enough to be comprehended, wheras Will alone means the chance for success was out of reach of comprehension! So to convince people to sacrifice, and stop surviving as a victim they'll need a Will to have hope, that will allow them to begin at step 1 of the process, and in that process I'd imagine 'Will to act' would appear no earlier then step 3. Looking at I think perhaps F3EA is specific because action needs more will then hope, even though perhaps will needs hope to inact.

So I think the will to act requires hope to elevate people out of the crushed condition of being a victim because once your in survival mode you might have already committed to avoiding as much risk as possible and clinging to any security you can find - not the best conditions to begin hopeless acts of will.

Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Adder. Reason: maybe its OODF3EA

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 2 months ago #52804 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Kony 2012

the young boy thought that dying would be better than living?

He should have thought if his life must be shit, he should kill or ruin everyone else's. When everyone is in the same shithole, they are willing to compromise, to find solutions. Can you imagine yourself on some kind of battlefield, and your enemy would rether kill themselves than live to fight you? How likely arethey to win?

If the rest of the world forgets about them, it is less likely that they themselves will find the will.

If the rest of the world was prohibited from interfering, they'd be much better off.

One way to process decision making was to observe, orient, decide and act (OODA). More recently I've read Find, Fix, Finish, Exploit and Analyze (F3EA). I was wondering if the later replaced the former but I think F3EA is a specific cycle of action, so its probably OODAF3EA rinse and repeat (or more correctly OODF3EA).

I'd have to bet hopeless action has less of a chance then action based on hope. Having hope at least means sufficient opportunity for success exists enough to be comprehended, wheras Will alone means the chance for success was out of reach of comprehension! So to convince people to sacrifice, and stop surviving as a victim they'll need a Will to have hope, that will allow them to begin at step 1 of the process, and in that process I'd imagine 'Will to act' would appear no earlier then step 3. Looking at I think perhaps F3EA is specific because action needs more will then hope, even though perhaps will needs hope to inact.

So I think the will to act requires hope to elevate people out of the crushed condition of being a victim because once your in survival mode you might have already committed to avoiding as much risk as possible and clinging to any security you can find - not the best conditions to begin hopeless acts of will.

When there is hope, people have expectations. they believe things will change. And whilst occasionally hope is good, it can also be terrible and have the opposite effect. People who have hope have something to lose. People who do not have hope have nothing to lose. So if they can't have the life they want, why should they let anyone else have it? all they need is will and no hope. It does work pretty well for the terrorists, they go to any lengths. That's also why they use kids. Get them high on coke and they make better monsters than adults (because they have drug-induced will and no hope).

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi