What Defines a Man as a Man?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51855 by Proteus
I think some people are missing the point of this thread. I notice how quick many of you are to being politically correct. This thread wasn't intended for "math" per sey. It's to be seen like a piece of art, as something to enjoy for what it expresses. I don't feel there is anything bad in what the idea of what "manliness" can express when it is noble and it influences responsibility, compassion, etc in a male.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Proteus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51858 by
Replied by on topic Re: What Defines a Man as a Man?
To answer V-Tog, I don't think there are many non-physical differences between men and women. Being a responsible adult is what makes a man a man and a woman a woman.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51859 by
I get you Proteus.

So here is the start of what I am working on...

I am a man, not by choice but by birthright. I did not ask to be man or woman, but have been placed in this form by the Force for a reason. As the Force is my guide I will follow the path that the Force has set for me. I am a man because I am the opposite of a woman. I have been placed here as man to accomplish the task of procreating my species with an opposite form known as woman.

The form known as man has the task of hunter and provider and this is the path I follow. It may not be my only tasks, but they are my main tasks. I will provide for the nourishment, and a safe shelter for my mate as she bears children and keeps watch over them and me. As the man, I am responsible for educating the younglings in the ways of the Force and of the world. Me, along with my mate shall bear this responsibility together and with equal part.

If I can no longer provide through sickness or physical disability, I will take what ever part I can to ensure the safety and health of my offspring and mate. This would include the raising of the children while my mate provides for the family...

more to come.

Is this more of your thought direction?

More
12 years 2 months ago #51864 by Adder
I think its important to develop ourselves in all areas and gender for me is just the physical form of the body.

So 'being a man' in focus is about developing a strong and agile body, in knowledge is about how to protect yourself and others, and in wisdom is about knowing how to care for yourself and others. For me that means physical training, knowledge of security issues, and being compassionate and understanding of how everything works. The sum of these things IMO is capable, trustworthy and loving.

These things are not limited to men of course, and I do not pay much attention to what society expects from gender. All these things can be found within ourselves, but our bodies are what they are and there is a range of real and noticable physical differences in muscle, bone and nervous system function across the gender's due to the different hormones circulating. As a result in any given situation those differences would likely lend one gender or the other to having a slight advantage by having better matched capabilities to the situation.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51887 by
The poem I posted earlier was in response to the question but the ideals contained within it I believe can be applied to any human adult whatever gender they may be.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #51900 by
I don't see any difference betwin both gender insted of the biological mechanics involve and of levels of hormones. A soul is a soul, and souls don't have "pure sexual" identity as humanly current idea.

In this universe, things are use to have counter parts; as light is oppose to darkness, life to death, yin to yang and female to male... None can exist without the other, but it's not their nature who define who they are, but the relation they have betwin each other. Stand alone elements are extremly rare, everything is use to depend on something else to be achieve and to evolve. Stand alone elements can't evolve, to just "be" imply no evolution.

There's different soul inter-relational concepts; soul mates, twin flammes and destiny partners (the most knowns). Soul mates are 2 souls depending on each other, balancing themself in every aspect, to make a total whole (as yin/yang concepts of a balanced whole). Twin flammes are one soul who was complete but who "decided" to split in two halfs to evolve as yin/yang aspects of the same soul (and who'll rejoin back after death as one soul). Desitny partners are these who getting along with a partner to evolve while not being perfect counterparts. What the ever concepts you are of, souls longs to get complete and to evolve with a conter part (or even with itself, ex.: a prisoner will face "himself" when alone in jail, to harmonize all inner parts/emotions he/she live to become a whole, accepting his/her yin/yang parts).

For fleshy humans,peoples are define by series of ways to act with each others depending on the genitals they have, but when took at the "soul level", the sex identity become extremly futile and the line betwin "sex identity" become extremly thin/important-less.

Attachment yinYang.gif not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by . Reason: error and grammar

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #51910 by
After our recent conversation....I now completely understand what you are saying here Pro.

So in response:

Manliness is (in my opinion) a virture that encompasses a few other virtues. Manliness is being loyal, faithful, defending with a firece and intense passionate love for whatever it is you hold dear and being wise.

I would argue that womanliness is being Kind, compassionate, merciful, sweet, nurturing and understanding.

And when one partner finds themselves filling both roles...it's about being true to you. Finding the balance of both sets of qualities and virtues without loosing yourself.

More
12 years 2 months ago #51940 by Wescli Wardest
I have thought about this from time to time my whole like. And the men I have always looked up to have shared certain traits. So if I were to draw from just that then what it means to be a man is:

1) To be a good father, who cares for and nourishes all children.
2) To be a loving husband, who cares for and defends the honor of women.
3) To be merciful when no mercy is warranted.
4) To be firm and consistent in life.
5) Children will love you without any effort on your part.
6) All will feel safe and comforted by your presence.

Is this what it means to be a man? For me it is.

And what does it mean to be a woman? I wouldn’t know; but, I know what traits I have always admired in the women I have known throughout my life.

Do either have anything to do with being a Jedi? I don’t think so. When I read entries or replies I don’t see male or female, young or old. And for me it is often surprising to realize that there is an individual at the other end of the conversation. I often just put everyone into a large “other Jedi” group.

May the Force be with you all.

Monastic Order of Knights

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 2 months ago #51960 by RyuJin
from one perspective what defines a man as a man would not be a set of traits(either physical or otherwise) but the man themself...since every person is different the only way one can truly define something is by being it with every part of their being...just a thought

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
12 years 2 months ago #51961 by Proteus

RyuJin wrote: from one perspective what defines a man as a man would not be a set of traits(either physical or otherwise) but the man themself...since every person is different the only way one can truly define something is by being it with every part of their being...just a thought

Absolutely, which is what makes topics like these interesting and inspiring. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi