reinterpreting the bibles view of homosexuality

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49169 by

Linesk wrote: It is no "fact" that homosexuality is mentally OR physically unhealthy. I respect your opinion, but you should present it as such: JUST an opinion.

Dude, didn't mean to offend...

I think it's obvious. No one's willing to outright say it lest they be deemed a "Nazi" or something similar, but the evidence is there. No one's willing to state the logical conclusion, but the evidence is there and abundant. I mean, look at the statistics of HIV/AIDS among gay men, or the prevalence of mental illness among homosexuals. Note that the mental illness persists in nations where homosexuality is widely accepted, and religiosity is low.

Not saying every homosexual, or even most of them belong in a padded cell or anything, just saying that the truth is there, and it's being ignored. I'm all for tolerance and acceptance of everyone, but at the same time it is irresponsible and unjust to ignore a problem (or, in the case of homosexuality, to affirm it) in the name of political correctness.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49170 by Ben
Star Forge, I'm not really sure that you can say that homosexual behaviour is mentally and physically unhealthy without qualifying it in some way, particularly the mental side? Unless you are homosexual then I'm not sure how you could possibly know...?

Edit: Ah, I think we posted at the same time there.

B.Div | OCP
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Ben.

More
12 years 3 months ago #49171 by Ben
So you think that it is up to you to say that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to choose to risk their health for the sake of being happy? Sure, some homosexuals might have mental health problems, but so do heterosexuals - there's nothing to say that their mental problems are related to their orientation.

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49173 by
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mental%20illness%20amoungst%20homosexuals&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nami.org%2FTextTemplate.cfm%3FSection%3DFact_Sheets1%26Template%3D%2FContentManagement%2FContentDisplay.cfm%26ContentID%3D54036&ei=o30pT7_JD8WyiQLGjemwCg&usg=AFQjCNEPDpbqKDxWAO-hKsA6y3IF7x_H5w

Um, maybe higher risk for anxiety, depression, and substance abuse.. Other than that! Not really!
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49174 by

V-Tog wrote: So you think that it is up to you to say that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to choose to risk their health for the sake of being happy? Sure, some homosexuals might have mental health problems, but so do heterosexuals - there's nothing to say that their mental problems are related to their orientation.

I stated earlier that I am 100% for tolerance of homosexuality and against bigotry toward anyone. I'm fine with letting gays be as gay as they can be. However, I think's it's also an injustice to them to not acknowledge to downside to their lifestyle and activities. I mean, look at the statistics concerning STDs, ridiculously high promiscuity levels (particularly among gay men), and mental illness.

It also should be noted that here in the States, when the APA took homosexuality off their list of mental disorders in the early 70's, it was done rather sneakishly, without notifying the majority of APA members, and was done for political reasons rather than objective scientific study, and many of those involved have admitted as much.

I don't know what the solution is. Like I said, this is an issue I've struggled with. Under no circumstances would I want to restrict someone's freedom or take away what makes them happy, but at the same time, I can't ignore the other side of the argument.

More
12 years 3 months ago #49175 by Ben

Star Forge wrote: On the other hand, I am personally opposed to homosexuality

How is that 100% for tolerance of homosexuality? You seem to be backpedaling...

B.Div | OCP

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 3 months ago #49176 by RyuJin
actually...aids is more prevalent amongst young african american heterosexual men than it is amongst homosexuals...it's also a fallacy that it's mentally and physically unhealthy...trying to force yourself to live by someone elses standards is mentally and physically unhealthy...scientifically there have been no legitimate testing done to either prove nor disprove negative or positive affects of homosexuality...the taboo placed on it by christianity has made it a neglected field of study...

personally what one does in the privacy of their own home is nobodies business but their own, and if doing so causes them to feel emotionally or spiritually bad, then perhaps they are living a lie and need to re-evaluate themselves and their particular lifestyle... no one has the right to tell someone else whom to love, what to think, or how to live...true freedom is being able to choose for ourselves...true happiness is being comfortable with yourself no matter what others may think...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49177 by

V-Tog wrote:

Star Forge wrote: On the other hand, I am personally opposed to homosexuality

How is that 100% for tolerance of homosexuality? You seem to be backpedaling...

Backpedaling? Read my earlier posts, I claimed that I promoted tolerance of homosexuality much earlier than the post you just quoted.

I believe you're confusing tolerance with total affirmation and endorsement. I honestly think that homosexuals should not face discrimination or hate because of their behavior, and I have never claimed otherwise. On the other hand, as I stated before, I believe that it should not be off-limits to fully investigate the consequences of homosexuality and publish the results. This would all be a lot easier if this was treated as a scientific matter, rather than political.

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #49178 by RyuJin

Star Forge wrote: I believe that it should not be off-limits to fully investigate the consequences of homosexuality and publish the results. This would all be a lot easier if this was treated as a scientific matter, rather than political.

ah there it is...the only reason it became a political point is because of religions interference in politics...until we can truly separate church from state religion will always play a role in politics and thier views...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49179 by

RyuJin wrote: [quote="Star Forge" post=49177 I believe that it should not be off-limits to fully investigate the consequences of homosexuality and publish the results. This would all be a lot easier if this was treated as a scientific matter, rather than political.

ah there it is...the only reason it became a political point is because of religions interference in politics...until we can truly separate church from state religion will always play a role in politics and thier views...[/quote]

Right on. Here in the States, we have a very small but VERY, VERY vocal minority of religious zealots like the late Falwell who try to impose their religious morality on everyone, and intrude into politics, while at the same time supposedly supporting the seperation of church and state.

Likewise, on the other end of the political spectrum is the other part of the problem, which is political correctness, which essentially means that saying something along the lines of "we should further investigate the consequences of homosexuality" makes one a Nazi.

I say just get all the zealots out of the way, whether they be far-right Baptists or bleeding-heart liberals, and just try to look at things honestly.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi