Public
12 years 3 months ago #47859 by
There is no glass...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47866 by
I used to be a pessimist, and I have been spending a good amount of time and energy lately turning myself into an optimist. Very simple things can help you accomplish this, like looking up instead of down while your walking. Everything you do is something you were trained to do, weather you realized you were being trained or not, including your outlook on life. This training can be changed, but it's like learning to walk again and can be very frustrating (as I'm finding out).

As for the glass, I agree with Master Ren, it is always full, the question is what is it full of? Water, air, half water and air?

As far as luck goes, I was always told not to wish anyone luck because who knows if your giving them good luck or bad luck? Don't trust in luck, trust in your own skill and training.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #47869 by
As I said the glass is refillable.

A pessimist believes we are going to die and that's the end of it. No hope for the life. The glass is half empty because my life on earth is almost over.

An optimist has hope that there is a life after death. Although they believe in the Force they just have not committed. The glass is half full because I think there is something else there.

A realist says the glass is filled with half water and half air. He uses logic and understanding of his physical world to account for things. They are the closest of the three to the Force. But still lack the vision to realize the full scope of the power and timelessness of the Force.

I strive to be none of these. I live for this moment. Reality is what is happening now. I will not die because the body decays but the luminescent consciousness that I AM re-joins with the Force to "live" forever.

I believe in the Force and the absorption of my essence into it upon my physical death. This life is only the beginning of an amazing journey and may not even be the beginning but a continuation of an essence that has been here before. The glass is refillable because I am an entity of the Force and there will be a "new" life for me when my body has past.

The glass is refillable, the glass does not exist, the glass exists while I use it and is gone when I walk away. It returns when I re-enter a room that I left it in. The water does not exist because it is not water...it is the Force, as we are the Force, as all things are THE FORCE!

WHOA! flashback to 1978 :whistle: so esoteric. Beat the bongo's and snap your fingers. B)
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: change the emphasis of sentences

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #47879 by
I had a second thought on this subject,(hey, 2 in one day :cheer: )

Should we care about whether the glass is half full or empty? What is the reason for the glass to be in this state? Is there a need to water a plant? Is the person who this glass belongs to in need of hydration for an ailment?

Would it not be more appropriate to ask: I see you have a glass of water that is not completely filled, are you OK? May I be of assistance to you in any way?

The glass is inconsequential to the reason the glass was put on the table with water in it. A Jedi should notice the glass, but reflect on the reasons for the situation and not on the obvious.

We as Jedi strive to be Masters of the Force, hopefully by now we have learned to be masters of the obvious.

Please forgive me if this sounds arrogant in any way. It is not meant to be. It is a thought process that keeps me on my toes and thinking about my own faults and deficiencies. As I struggle to gain my enlightenment, I will stumble and fall. Please lend a helping hand.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: I sounded arrogant

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 months ago #47886 by ren

Would it not be more appropriate to ask: I see you have a glass of water that is not completely filled, are you OK? May I be of assistance to you in any way?

The glass is inconsequential to the reason the glass was put on the table with water in it. A Jedi should notice the glass, but reflect on the reasons for the situation and not on the obvious.

A Jedi would notice half a glass and mind his/her own business.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47889 by
Maybe not mind their own business so much as assess whether any mind should be paid to the situation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 months ago #47890 by ren
No. Mind their own business. I'm a big fan of wu-wei, where inaction is just as valid as action.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47902 by
"Guys?" Jack called over Con, Benedict, and James over. With all three of them seated, Jack poured a glass half-way to the top and set it down.

'Is that rum?' Con asked, doubtfully sniffing the air over the glass.

"Shut up." Jack groused, "Con, you're the pessimist - what do you think of this glass?"

'You didn't fill it up all the way.' Was his response.

"So... is it half-empty or half-full?"

Con shrugged.

'They're the same thing.'

Jack turned to Benedict, "You're the guy who's always obsessively optimistic. What's your call?"

Benedict blinked.

'Well... you DID fill at least some of it. That's better than not filling any of it, at all.'

"And the half-empty versus half-full..."

'It's half-way full, before you can fill it up to the top. If you'd filled it completely, then drank half of it, THAT would be half-way empty, before it was emptied completely to be filled again.'

"Kay..." Jack turned to James, "...And you're the engineer, here."

'Actually, I'm in school for accounting...'

"Shut up. Half-empty or half-full?"

James gave the glass a credulous look.

'Um... why didn't you just pick a glass with half the volume of this one? Then, it'd be exactly the size you need.'

Jack sighed, then noted down their responses: "Pessimist: Doesn't matter. Optimist: Depends on how it got that way and what you do with it. Engineer: Glass is twice the size it needs to be." Then, she drank the contents of the glass.

More
12 years 3 months ago #47905 by Br. John
If the half full half empty state bothers you pour the water into a smaller glass.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #47916 by
While it's true that inaction is just as valid as action, wouldn't an assessment (even an unconscious one) be necessary to validate whether action or inaction was called for?

It may be actionable, if only to find a smaller glass to put the contents in.

I choose to believe the glass isn't a glass, but probably some form of illusion meant to make us think there is a glass and that the volume of liquid in it matters at all.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by . Reason: GAH!!! spelling.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi