pessimistic/optimistic/realist?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47819 by
how do you view the glass? is it half full, half empty with a leak, or a glass containing liquid that is drinkable? Like do you think that you have bad karma from a past life if you're a pessimist. And how do optimistic people feel (i dont know cause im not one). And how about the realist, do you believe that everything happens for a reason, or is that an optimist thing. agin i dont know. and what about luck.... is it bad or good or just a myth. thoughts anybody?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47821 by
Well, I personally view the glass as half full. I like to have hope and see the positive side of things. I wonder about realism though. When I hear someone say, "I'm just being realistic," it usually means that person is saying something extremely negative and when someone brings up the positive possible outcome the other person claims he's being realistic. Basically, I have always seen realism as a justification for pessimism. I for one do not believe in luck. Luck is too random and I don't believe in chance or coincidence. May the Force be with you.
Leena

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #47822 by Adder
Hehe, tough question... ooops I mean good question, errr. I'd like to think I'm an optimistic realist. The glass's natural state is not full, otherwise it couldnt be moved easily and the water would get dust in it (it doesnt have a lid so its not suitable for storage). I actually think the glass and its contents are seperate, and thus a glass can be both full and empty as without being pessimistic or optimistic, becuase it is an indication of the water level only, and not the condition of the glass itself. You see being half empty can be positive because the measure of emptiness means its less likely to spill.

If the glass had a lid and was used for storage, then you could definatly say it was half empty as a pessimist or half full as an optimist because the overall entities usefulness is being described in subjective language. I cannot comment on luck or karma other then perhaps its possible.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Adder. Reason: clairifcation

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47824 by
I prefer to be a realist. If I know the context in which the glass had recently made contact with the water, I can say (if the glass had been filled with the water) that it was half-full, or (if the glass had been recently drunk) that it was half-empty. Normally, however, I would just say that it's half a glass of water.

Though if you want specifics, It's a glass with half water, and half air inside it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47826 by
thanks guys so much. i like how people think and you guys think differently than i which makes me twice as intrigued. but um again thanks for kinda like letting me in your head for a second.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 3 months ago #47827 by ren
I'm realist. We are all going to die. there.:laugh:
Also, the glass is full. Half the volume is taken by a liquid that is drinkable, half the volume is taken by prefectly good air.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
12 years 3 months ago #47838 by Wescli Wardest
Full or empty... I just want to know who drank half of my beer?!?!

Monastic Order of Knights

More
12 years 3 months ago #47840 by Br. John
Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47841 by
I view the glass as refillable. So drink up and keep looking for the positive aspects of life. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #47847 by

ren wrote: I'm realist. We are all going to die. there.:laugh:
Also, the glass is full. Half the volume is taken by a liquid that is drinkable, half the volume is taken by prefectly good air.

Lol! I've not heard that answer before but I like it; it is perfectly valid.

---

For the OP:

I think my answer will change according to circumstances. Right now, I'm an optimist. But if my house was burning down and I knew there was nothing to do to save it, I'd be a realist in that circumstance. But seeking to rebuild later and put the past behind me, I'd return to being an optimist.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi