Why Are People Still Afraid of Atheism?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 5 months ago #45262 by ren
please allow me...

Original text by PoC, reversal of situation by Ren:

Agreed. I actually never see Christians gather together at all.. But if they do, what do they talk about?
"Hello, everyone! There is a god! Let's begin the day with a group discussion on your experience of god. I baked cookies and brought coffee for everyone, please, help yourself! There is a god! Now, I'll start and we'll go in clockwise order and begin with how you experienced god this week!"

I'd imagine it more like a support group.. They used to have an Christian church but I think they got tired of sitting there all day talking about the religion. They had pamphlets about the life of Jesus Christ. A book by God. Seems a limited basis for discussion. The only fuel for conversation I would imagine christians have would be all the crazy things the atheists do and say! That would be a never ending source of amusement!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45263 by
LOL Just to be clear I wasn't trying to poke fun at you, atheism or Christianity. Just trying to imagine what it would be like in a real atheist support group and wondering if there is such a thing. Musing on the idea, because atheism seems like a personal idea. You definitely made a point to me by a reversal of what I said. Just don't really know if I got the point that was intended.

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 5 months ago #45264 by ren
Oh lol I got it right don't worry. I was just trying to show how "funny" christian activities can look in an atheist's eyes... :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45265 by
Oh, okay! Cool! Then I got the point! Christian activities are pretty funny to me, as well lol. I haven't identified with it all in quite some time. Needless to say, that's why I'm here! I have teetered on Atheism before. Really, I just don't know what to believe. Does the force emanate from an original source, that of a god? Or is a god only what feeble, mortal man can understand of a much more complex and powerful force... I have no frickin clue!

More
12 years 5 months ago #45266 by Adder

ren wrote: You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals...

When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc, then I'll start considering their evangelism as something more then just hatred, but yea any sort of direct marketing campaign tends to be intrusive. I prefer opt-in rather then having to opt-out and its getting worse with SMS's and telemarketers. Soon a stylized Jesus will be ringing me on my phone asking for a donation!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45267 by

ren wrote: Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45272 by

NumbEffect wrote:

ren wrote: Uh, I'd like to point out when it comes to evangelism, atheists are far from being the worst. You don't see atheist adverts in hospitals, preachers in the streets, telling christians or whatnot they will eternally suffer for their evil ways. They dont knock at your door to give you the good news or whatever. Your atheist neighbours do not talk behind your back about how you failed to attend the weekly atheist meeting at that atheist place to do atheist things.

ETC

I may be out of the loop being from Australia and moving across to America but i'm in a town that would be considered part of the bible belt and i don't think its that bad i definitely don't know anyone talking crap because they didn't attend church but this is just what i've seen from my experiences yours could be completely different.

As to people coming and knocking on doors no more than 20 minutes ago i had some mormans come knock on my door i don't have a problem with it if its their choice to do these things that's there choice just because you may not like it or understand why doesn't mean its wrong or should be condemned. That's like going to another country and them driving on the other side of the car and road and you saying how stupid you're on the wrong side. In your opinion that's correct but to everyone else your the n00b because to them they drive on the right side of the car/road.

This is just my view my opinion but as i said in an earlier post why athiest or on any other religion has a such a negative reaction is because of the few stupid people that can't just let people believe what they want to and have to go attack someone else's beliefs. You say the word muslim in america and majority of people will think terrioss and thats only because of the radical extremists that have given a bad name to the rest of them im met plenty of muslims and they are really nice people.

Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45279 by

Nameless3450 wrote:

NumbEffect wrote:

ETC

Ha I lived in the bible belt in northern Florida, you must just be out of the loop there. Every baptist church I ever visited there is a huge gossip mess then a small talk about jesus and gossip once more. Then the preacher says something like this: "Blah blah HELL blah blah SINNERS blah blah HOMOSEXUALS blah blah CHRIS ANGEL IS OF THE DEVIL!" Omg I remember when they were talking how Chris Angel was sent from the devil and how you shouldn't let your kids watch him, I was like "Are you fucking serious right now?" I mean he is an ILLUSIONIST that does ILLUSIONS he did not sell his soul to find out what card you picked!
If you ARE in the loop however it may be possible they don't discuss it in front of you. I learned that they don't gossip in front of anyone with an accent from a different country or other races lol.

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha

• ren
    Registered
More
12 years 5 months ago #45287 by ren

When atheist evangelists start running their own schools, hospitals, aged care facilities etc

Well, they do those things.... Just don't use the opportunity to advertise their lack of faith.

I mean even anti-theists are harmless. Remember the London bus campaign? "There's probably no god, now stop worrying and enjoy your life". And the outrage you could read about in the news, bus drivers refusing to drive those buses, etc?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #45290 by

NumbEffect wrote:

Nameless3450 wrote:

NumbEffect wrote:

ETC

Haha thanks for clearing that up for me dude it doesn't help being a foreigner people just talk about you naturally haha

Yeah well most people will try not to insult others to prevent them looking ignorant and by doing that shows their ignorance. That or they will talk soooo slow to you like your retarded my fiancé is from the phillipians and she has to deal with that even though she speaks nearly perfect English. To a lot of Americans people are more treated like a puppy than a person lol

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi