Monogamy - Should Jedi Follow Society's Rules?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 7 months ago #42744 by ren

Sana wrote: I can understand the celibacy and lack of relationships idealism, as I think it is more of a way to limit attachment.

Attachment, as has been showcased many times over, sometimes has negative affects. Fear of losing the person if someone has not accepted that all people go to the Force. Fear of causing another person pain or suffering or sadness. Anger at how another has treated someone you are attached to. Devotion to another person can cause a shift in focus. While all this falls under the ability of control, there are things that cause even the best to fail at limiting their responses. Children are something that must be protected at all times, and at times worry may trouble even a peaceful soul due to progeny.

Although, honestly, fear of attachment is also a problem.

At the same time, I see relationships as important. If one cannot interact with others, how can one hope to help them?

I guess it is a double edged sword.

Very nice post. When it comes to having a relationship vs celibacy in the Jedi context of emotional control, I think letting a relationship go through rough or terminal patches (cheating, death ?) and at the same time being able to completely control the emotions that usually arise in this type of situations demonstrates true mastery.

Also I believe that the celibacy of the movie Jedi is down to serving the order 24/7 and not the avoidance of emotional/attachment issues. No-one spends day and night with their spouse, but movie jedi masters seem to always be accompanying their apprentices... And there is quite a strong bond as demonstrated by kenobi when qi-gon dies. The master/apprentice method is probably the worst there can ever be when it comes to avoiding attachment.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 7 months ago #42755 by RyuJin
personally i wouldn't want to be married to more then one woman...they're hard enough to deal with on a one-on-one basis as it is :laugh: (j/k...probably why i'm still single)

monogamy vs. polygamy....basically it's islam/mormanism/etc vs. all of christiandom...i don't find either one to be morally correct or morally wrong...what makes them right or wrong then? simple...the person perceiving them...just because one society say's it's wrong doesn't mean it is, and just because another society says it's right doesn't mean it is....you have to look into your own moral code and decide which is right and which is wrong for you....no matter what you do in life or where you go, there will always be the conflict of morality, what is morally just for one is not morally just for all.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42757 by
I would just like to set the record straight. Mormons do not practice polygamy and do not endorse it in anyway. The extremist fundamentalist sects of our church do...but not the main church. And as far as I am aware..mainstream Islam isn't polygamist either....

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 7 months ago #42765 by RyuJin
thanks for pointing that out ;)

it's often forgotten or overlooked, did not mean to offend

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42826 by
'This has sure gotten a lot of responses.' Why Jack had let fanfiction characters out to play, she would never understand, but the self-proclaimed Jedi Prince, Ken, was happily poking at her laptop. His mother, Kendalina was alternating between swatting her son's hands away from any non-child friendly content, and glaring at Jack, 'Miss Kendalina, did you not once say that monogamy had a use as a medical purpose?'

Kendalina just grunted.

"Her exact words being 'If you get knocked up with a disease or a baby, and you've been monogamous, then you'll know who to go to to kick their a-"

'I did NOT!' Ken continued to grin and devolved into a 'Did too/Did not' argument with his mother.

Meanwhile, Triclops -- yes, the Boba Fett/Frankenstein creature of the Emperor's and Ken's father, Triclops -- sat up from where he'd been knitting on the couch.

'The Lost Wookie seemed to have an opinion on a solution to the problem, which was to be celibate and avoid it, entirely.' He offered, changing the topic. Kendalina snorted.

'Master Windu would've LOVED him.' She snarled, sarcastically, 'Repressing desires and restricting yourself because it's 'Not appropriate' just causes more problems, like the lid on a shaken bottle of soda makes the thing pop. We've got Skywalker to show us THAT.'

'Kenda.' Triclops nudged, gently, 'What you just said COULD be misinterpreted as a justification for rape or adultery - the kind where the adulterer secretly cheats on a loving and giving partner without being open or honest, just because they felt like it.'

'Controlling your behavior to respect the wishes of another person is different from stopping yourself just because of a preconceived notion that celibacy is a must. For example, say you were in LOVE with someone...' Kendalina stressed the word, briefly turning her head to her son's ear, 'And dealt with them everyday, were very close to them, possibly spent every day with them because... I dunno, they were your MASTER or something...' And she was now deliberately jabbing Ken, 'But you decided to not say anything or act on it because you'd studied the Old Order and knew that passion and attachment were forbidden to the Jedi...' Ken was now starting to glare at his mother with very hurt eyes, 'You're not doing yourself any favors, nor being honest with the person you supposedly love.'

Ken had, at this point, recoiled from their author's computer and was facing deliberately away from his parents.

'What about asexuality?' Triclops asked, 'Someone who has no desire for romance of any kind, nor wants those desires. Master Yoda was most likely asexual.'

'Or the heroic sister of the author, huh?' Kendalina shot at Jack, whom was reclined in her chair and reading a book at this point. She just shrugged, 'The point isn't about adhering to a model of behaviors -- the point is honesty and understanding. If you don't understand yourself or are honest with yourself about yourself, you don't know your strengths or weaknesses, and as a Jedi, that doesn't help you connect with the Force. And then, once you get that, being able to show respect for the others involved should compose the Jedi behavior for relationships. So... asexual, monogamous, polygamist... Stang, you don't see me even giving the boy-' She jabbed her thumb at Ken, '-Any flack for HIS romantic notions, and HE fell in love with the Skywalker spawn -- the very person whose conception led to the fall of the old Order and the creation of the Empire -- of all people.'

'Except you obviously DO have a bone to pick about that.' Triclops pointed out. Kendalina stuck her tongue out at him.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #42829 by
tell me, what are the rewards for being right on a subjective topic?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 7 months ago #43316 by
Why dost thou needst rewarding for an intellectual conversation? This is purely everyone sharing their minds and opinions. I believe that, at the least, this is more of a way to share, experience, and grow through listening to our peers and putting forth our own opinion. Once written, sometimes the opinion does surprise the writer.

Please excuse my random semi-Old English speaking, too many books, not enough modernism.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi