Will you support or participate in a long term work group?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #25081 by
Well brother, I have an idea. Perhaps each site that is active would take unique or great posts of knowledge and deposit them in one place. A true library, divided into categories and organized by a dedicated librarian. If sites were willing perhaps they could elect or appoint an individual to monitor posts on their site, and when one was found to hold great knowledge or wisdom they could copy it to the library. The same could be done with training. So that there was not repetition, but growth within the library. The librarian and the individuals form the various sites could work together to assure that topics were not repeated unless they brought new and wise points to the overall topic. Though I have noticed some sites do not wish to share the product of their training unless you are accepted as a student (I don't understand that at all). Also there are many sites who do not share all their forums with everyone. In this case it will be especially useful to share, in that otherwise it would likely go missed by the majority of the community.

I know it doesn't alleviate exactly what you were talking about John. However it would allow people to post in one area and know that if it is sufficiently unique or insightful it will be copied to a safe and central place where all will have access to it.

If we can not come together in peace collectively right now, perhaps we can agree to locate our continued collective knowledge where all can benefit form them. If this was attempted, it must be done with the idea to include all viewpoints and all idealism's. Even though we may not agree with someones ideas or beliefs, they still may help us grow and learn from each other.
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by Jon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #25085 by Jon
Since this concerns worldly issues such as legalities of copy right, presentation, interaction and workings of the site, I would consider this more a matter for our executives directors and admins.

Personally however I would like to add that I have had enough experience to realise that such an action needs good planning, legal know how, a lot of time on line and dedication. Due to other personal duties that each of us have in life and for what other reasons there may be it is rare to find such consistency as you require. Very often great sounding projects pop up like mushrooms but very soon we never see these people again. Then what? Such a library is not just a wonderfull thing to have or opportunity to use, it is a responsibility. What we would have are the intellectual, spiritual and personal possessions of members which need to be protected and treated with respect. Who will garantee this? I also mean legally? For example: what is printed here is protected by copy right, so if we publish it somewhere else what happens then?

Also I must say that my loyalty is not only to Jediism but to TOTJO. I know some reading this may get rubbed up the wrong way but thats why I am here and not somwehere or everywhere else. TOTJO has become a home, a place of trust and after 2 years has become a part of me. My spiritual inheritance was, is and will continue to be ment for TOTJO, something which I can only hope will be respected.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25087 by
It was merely an idea that came to me when reading Br. Jon's reply. I thought he might enjoy the thought, at the very least.

As for what you mentioned about copyrights and protecting peoples intelectual and spiritual possessions...

I find myself wondering why anyone prescribing to the Jedi philosophy would worry about receiving proper credit, or more so would ever want to keep ideas and knowledge form anyone. I realize you might have meant that in another way, such as making sure a persons posts did not get altered etc. But I wanted to address the idea of coveting knowledge. Why would a Jedi or anyone for that matter object to displaying that which can be used to help others.

As a man on the Jedi path I will stand and say \" Let anything I produce, be it knowledge, wisdom, or otherwise, be given freely and openly to those who may grow from it.\"
I am concerned with learning and growing, not credit and usage.

I respect your view and do not wish to attack it. I simply had that stored up inside and wished to release it. I believe it was a relevant time to do so. I wish not to offend, but rather to learn and grow.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #25088 by Jon
As has been said so often, everyone is more than welcome to visit, become a member, participate, post and learn. So I don`t quite understand what that has to do with withholding information. Just because it is kept here instead of being plastered over the internet? Also I am not sure about protecting what was posted has to do with accreditation. Maybe our views on posts are different, some see it as a source of information other as a part of a living human being. Strange but I too am interested in learning and growing, and for quite some time now as have 1920 members here. But this is what we are here for to discuss.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25092 by
As I believe its been mentioned in this thread before - (if not hsis wont be a repeat :D)

TOTJO has a 'library' in the works - we had one previously but die to a change in server providers we lost the site although the content remains relatively intact and safe.

So in terms of a 'shared' or common resource - well

Watch this space (or webspace :D)

I feel everyone is equally entitled to an opinion on this and any subject - how one takes a response of another individual is entirety up to you.

There will always be copyright laws whether it be for written work, audi, video etc etc.

Now whether or not a 'Jedi' wishes to earn a few pennies or whatever for their work is entirely for their conscience to decide - money is a necessary evil and if someone feels they would like some recompense for their efforts then thats fine by me and if i feel the work is worth it - i'll pay for it.

Simple fact is bills dont pay themselves - no matter how self sufficient a person is - there will always be something that has to be paid for in someway.

So as far as the library will go - the material will be free - ish

The servers still need 'renting' and thus paid for - in terms of copyright or whatever of whatever - if someone wishes their material to be removed - it will be. Any information will have all credits given where applicable as its simply manners.

On a personal note - and this is me speaking for me - if I spent alot of time, work and effort in producing (for example) a document for this temple, with the point and intention of it being for the membership of this temple - I would be a little miffed if I discovered someone had copied it etc without at least asking.

If this makes me a 'Bad' Jedi or person then so be it.

Here is a last thought - should all books and music etc etc be 100% free?

MTFBWY - A

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
14 years 9 months ago #25105 by Jon
So when will we be able to see this new library Grand Master Kana?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25121 by
Not to sound rude or whatnot, but can someone please tell me what happened to all the information that was posted in the first library being built last year?

If some of that information is needed again, I saved it to discs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25128 by
hmmm, I am looking at my last post and I can see the feelings flowing off it. This was not my intention. Though I should have realized when I felt the need to add \"I don't intend to insult but...\"

That just shows the work I still need to do. However, I thank you all for taking it gracefully. When I said \"their are sites that wont let you see their training or certain forum boards unless they decide to let you\", I was not talking about this site.

My original reply on the library idea was meant for Br. John. It was meant to be thought provoking along the lines of his last post here. I do not intend to argue its finer points, as I have not looked into it that deeply. As I said it was meant for Br. John as an idea that might help alleviate the feeling he was having, or at least provide a thought process leading in the direction of helpful.

Thank you, though... i believe this topic has wildly gone off topic. While I do wish go get to know the moderators who are posting here, I am not sure it suits us best to continue it here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 9 months ago #25129 by
Tiamat wrote:

Not to sound rude or whatnot, but can someone please tell me what happened to all the information that was posted in the first library being built last year?

If some of that information is needed again, I saved it to discs.

In the immortal words of GM JarJar 'How rude' :D

well - the crux of the issue was I had a matter of hours to back it al up manually ie copy n paste the whole content into text files.

So all the content is on my hdd in the form of text files - it aint pretty but its functional.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #25136 by Jon
Which leads me to my origional question. Could you fill us in then Grand Master Kana on your project. Will you set up a new site as Library? How will this be accessible to the membership? Will this be accessible only when it is finished or while you are setting it up?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi