Replied by on topic Re:A church/monastary
well maybe a yoda in my bedroom that i give alms to but thats it lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14831 by
I think the idea of an actual temple, while a good idea, seems like a lot more work and requires a lot more people than we have in any one particular area. Having a church or monastery is a lot of work, so my question is do we really have that kind of man power currently?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14833 by
Zaiss we help one another no matter where. If it means i take vacation and go to where ever to help then I would do it. But need at least a month notice for my job. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14837 by
But you would have to go back to your job eventually. And how long would you stay to help with the project? Also, even though you may be able to do so, not all of us can. I wouldn't be able to go help with anything for more than a weekend if it was any large degree of distance from me.

I'm not saying that it can't be done. Everything can be done, in some form or another. My question is do we have any vague idea as to how we would do this? We seem to have the willingness to get this done, but, like most things, it requires planning. Where do we start? What's needed? These are questions that I don't have the answers to, so I'm asking.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14857 by
While I do believe a distance should be kept between Lucas - and monetary gain (that can lead to the Dark Side!) - we should still not forget our roots.

I'm not saying \"We need a 10-foot-tall Yoda statue!\" but... we shouldn't ignore the films and such, anymore that we should recognize where much of the Jedi Philosophy comes from. True, it stems initially from other religions, but they were marked as \"Jedi\" by way of Star Wars.

Though it can become a problem if we do involve Mr. Lucas, as it would become something of a business venture, which would detract from the religious aspect, and cause it to be no different from, say, Scientology.

Not trying to make any waves, there, I'm just saying... it would bring a dubious light onto it.

I do think we'd need to have a good income in order to manage the upkeep of the Temple, but... yeah, it could cause problems with Lucasfilm, Ltd. Which is why we'd have to ensure it's a nonprofit organization.

(Also, profits could lead to materialism. Look at the Vatican, they're all... really... yikes.)

(Also also, regarding the \"Jedi Army\" - not a good idea. We should, at the least, be purely for advice, counsel, and possibly protection for those who seek it from us. Ideally, we'd all be trained in combat purely as a \"just in case\" scenario. Though I think whoever mentioned that was probably joking. :laugh:)

Sorry if I'm ranting, I need sleep.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14859 by
When did I ever joke about anything, the Jedi Squirrels are ready anyway :silly:

More
15 years 11 months ago #14860 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:A church/monastary
George Lucas knows about us.

TOTJO is a church and non-profit corporation in good standing.

We can Charter local congregations at no cost and they are part of us.

We cannot make money for any person but if somebody donated $$$$$ to us or if an investment made money we could only use it for charitable purposes.

We can legally have employees and pay them but have never had any.

If there are enough Jedi in a local area to form a group, even if they buy a building, there are still no issues with Lucas.

Jediism cannot be trademarked because it is the name of a religion.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14861 by
Thank you Br. John :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor