A church/monastary

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14793 by
Replied by on topic Re:A church/monastary
I am gathering together people who are interested...I am hoping to finish my training soon so I may start taking friends on as Apprentices so I may start a church and build one...theres lots of cheap land in this area i live in, even though it is wisconsin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14795 by
I should have pu this in my initial response (it was late, i was tired etc) one of the reasons I dropped out of the Catholic church was the insistence of going to church, and the hyprocracy of the xmas catholics (ie go to church once a year on xmas day and call themselves christians) sorry if your one of them , its just my view n not personal.

I have always felt the whole world is a church, you dont hve to be in a building to pray or whatever and I certainly dont want a man who lives a secular life with no real experience outside that of others telling me how to live my life.

So as said, if a group can get together then great, and if they can do something together as a group then even better, but for me, I have found my 'church' it is at http://templeofthejediorder.org

the world around us and the spirit within are my cathedrals. I do appreiate some people need a physical 'building' so they feel they are in a church or whatever, but not for me. Also as a christian, I experienced a strange phenomenon where you would see the same people week in week out, and they were so engrossed in their own thing they wouldnt communicate with others, I saw the same people every week for years and never even got the names, surely this cant be right or healthy.

What we have here is a great community and beats any church I have experienced.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14799 by
The problem with having a church is that it will become a tourist attraction. People will say I have been to the Jedi Temple it's .......(Insert random description and thoughts)....... Noone will take it seriously, I think in the future there could be a church, but we are not ready yet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14800 by
Very well put Akkrin and I agree. The time has not yet come for that, but when it does we will know.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14806 by
As I said before, there is a physical temple (of sorts) in the UK (Anglesey, N.Wales) who meet once a month (I think) I have had emails from them and replied.

They do have a website http://www.jedi-church.com/ which is still under construction

I have to agree with the tourism element thouigh

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14807 by
Well, our temple in Michigan is (allegedly) complete;
I intend to work on gathering a congregation here in the Ark-La-Tex area during the summer;
The Jeditown site has listings of Jedi Gatherings all the time.
Progress is being made.

True, a physical building is not 'necessary'; WE are the Temple, not some structure of straws, sticks, bricks, what have you. However, there is also something to be said for having a place to gather and come together. We are social creatures, after all, and a group is arguably stronger and more enriching than any one individual.
So what if our gathering place(s) becomes a Photo-op? Lots of churches and sacred spots are. Does this make them any less sacred to those who believe? Do those who gather there do any less good? They may not take it or us seriously, but they will see that WE do. And that's what counts. IMHO.
MTFBWUA,
-Chance

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 10 months ago #14809 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:A church/monastary
I don`t see the tourist issue being a problem. We all have to start at the surface before any depth can be reached. Why should people not get to know us, be it through tourism? What better opportunity is there for curiosity to be answered with sincerity? What we should be worried about is not the sincerity of visitors but we who are representing Jediism.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14810 by
Very true, as long as we dont have to bow to statues of george Lucas... we'll leave those outside for the tourists :silly:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14811 by
My sentiments exactly, Sauron.
-Chance

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 10 months ago #14812 by
Point well made Sauron, it is from there that others will learn one of the tenets of our faith.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi