A church/monastary

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14769 by
A church/monastary was created by
I was wondering has there ever been any thought to build a temple/monastary for Jediism a physical building that Jedi can come together and even take monastic vows and live in? or has this been done?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14770 by
Replied by on topic Re:A church/monastary
there are physical places you may wish to call temples/church to Jediism, but I see no point in a monastery as such, would that not be a self defeating idea? how can one help others if you seclude yourself?

There are places in various states of USA and one in Wales too (meetings for prayer etc)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14773 by
Dont think it would be a good idea either.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14776 by
well buddhist monks live in monastaries and catholic and they still help others

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14779 by
I for one, agree with SidAnDunn on the fact that having a place to gather other than the website (nothing against it, I would just rather see my fellow Jedi) would be a great idea, I do remember reading about this once in the forum, and this is one of my longer term goals, either initiating or helping the building of a physical place where we can gather. I understand it is not necessary, but it wouldnt hurt.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14783 by
I wouldn't mind seeing something like this, either.

At least as a living quarters or a place to pray, certainly not a place to keep secluded - I hate to go back to the fictional Jedi, but although they had a physical temple, they often spent their time elsewhere on missions to help others. With exception to the Masters on the Council, unless a Master was specifically needed.

Though they still did have a physical gathering place.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14784 by
I agree with Kana Seiko Harkui. For what is physical except for what we hold. Do we really need a building to show about. Anywhere we gather is a physical and spiritual bind for any who come. \"You need not find me in a building of wood and rock. Just turn the stone and i will be there.\" A physical place for us could cause complacancy and as Jedi we must be more flexible than that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #14789 by
haha, oh you people never cease to amaze me. I can't count how many times i've seen this exact post float around the temple lol. Just know that having a physical place is very difficult to put together and we have been trying for over a year now. If ANYONE has made break throughs please post and tell us

More
15 years 11 months ago #14790 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re:A church/monastary
The only real Temple is the one that's in your heart.

If there are enough Jedi living in close proximity having get togethers, local projects and even a temple to have services and training is fantastic.

As time goes on these things will happen but if they are at the expense of our Global community then we'll be greatly diminished.

Split a piece of wood and there is The Force; lift a rock and The Force is revealed.

Founder of The Order

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 11 months ago #14791 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:A church/monastary
Although I heartily agree with all that has been said we cannot just forget that we are tactile beings. We cannot just live off air and love. Some need a good solid staek and others a sweet tasting salad.

Due to the disperse nature of our community we could never realy support a building in such a way as to justify it being called a community Church never mind a Monastry filled with fulltime residents living a life of abstinence.

I can talk from experience though, we should never underestimate the power of a Church of Pilgrimage. A Church of Pilgrimage both calls its members and sends them out. These places are places of discernment, understanding, and fortitude. Having such a place in our case would be realistic and certainly makes sense.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi