Lifestyle Choices - Car Drive Wheel Transport

More
4 years 4 months ago #347507 by JamesSand
The title sounds a little odd, that's because I did a search for Car, Drive, Wheel, and Transport to find out if this had been discussed before (because I sort of thought it had), but found nothing.

So, future searchers, you're welcome.

So a bunch of people profess to be jedi, and that leads to all sorts of online-guruism and intellectual navel gazing and whatnot. Certainly a lot of strong opinions on popular strong-opinion subjects, like diet, or firearms, or national economy based currencies - but what about the other mundane things, particularly the mundane things you might have control over? Like what kind of mattress you sleep on? I think we discussed the evils of toilet paper vs bidets at some point?

Obviously, what I am thinking about right now is Transport? How do y'all get around?

How do you get around now?
Why?
Is there a way you would prefer to get around? (different method, or just a nicer car?)
Why don't you do it the way you would prefer? (always a chance to roll out some excuses....)

When you make decisions on your transport options, do you take a moment to consider if Jediism can guide you on that decision?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347511 by OB1Shinobi
2008 Mazda 6 because, reasons.
Next vehicle will be either a dodge challenger or some kind of van. Because, reasons.
Always with those damn reasons, lol.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
4 years 4 months ago #347513 by JamesSand
Plenty of reasons would shortlist both a dodge challenger and a van....you can barely get a playing card between the two as far as comparable features...

More
4 years 4 months ago #347516 by Rex
Currently a 2007 Audi A4

Preferably a motorcycle (something like a dual sport) because fuel efficiency or an Alfa Romeo because they're gorgeous (fun factor is heavy on both)

Probably my next vehicle will be something like a Subaru

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347523 by
Currently using public transport, because I don't have a car and even can't drive.
But I dream about buying Tesla Cybertruck when I would have enough money for it. Because I love electric cars, and Tesla in particular, and also I like that Cybertruck is such a weird-looking science-fiction-style vehicle with characteristics of an armored off-road and rather powerful engine. It's actually a quite well-done military/police car, but available for a usual citizen! And it also would be capable to use solar energy, so, ecological reasons too.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 4 months ago #347524 by
I drive a car (2013 Nissan Altima, got it "factory certified refurbished with an extended warranty so that I won't have to shell out for repairs until at least I am done shelling out for a car payment). Even though I live in a city I still wouldn't be able to take the bus. I live about a 1 minute walk from the bus stop, and my school is next to a bus stop on the same route. Still, it would take me about an hour on the bus to go about a mile, and cost more too (gas for one mile isn't very much...). My work is about half an hour drive (on the other side of the city.... I like the people and while in school I don't work often anyway) and I calculated the route for that once when my precious car broke down. If I tool the first bus out I would get to work just in time to turn around and take the last bus that would get bnb me home that night... so no, that doesn't work. When I fly home I'll take an Uber or Lyft to and from the airport as it is a lot cheaper than parking my car at the airport for the week.

Meanwhile my sister doesn't drive, but also doesn't have a job. If she needs to go somewhere usually her husband will drop her off on the way to work AMD pick her up on the way back. If she is going to go somewhere on the bus she makes a day of it. I also have had a few employees who don't drive (either can't afford a car or so.ethign happe ed to their car usually), and it really limits their availability l. If they want full time they usually take an uber or such to get to work because catching a bus when we close at 10 PM is a challenge. I have one coworker who lives right on my way home who recently ended up without a car so the nights we work together I give her a ride to save her from the 2 hour bus trip. All that being said, the US is notorious for having terrible public transit. When I've traveled overseas there was only one time we rented a car (going onto the outback in Australia... turns out there's not much public transit where nobody lives) but otherwise public transit has always worked fine. Of course we were tourists and tourism spots tend to be right on public transit lines, plus we'd pick a hotel with that in mind.

Not sure if that gives any sort of clear answer, but that's a summary of my experience with different transit. As for car vs truck, I've had to drive a truck on occasion for work, and I'll keep my car, thank you. I much prefer the maneuverability and extra space in my lane.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #347574 by Adder
Currently a small 2wd SUV... need the big I internal hatchyness to carry odd shaped things, small exterior size to fit all parking spots, high ground clearance for same reason, diesel for longer range and less frequent refills. Don't need 4wd so the extra weight is an inefficiency, weight burden and unnecessary maintenance load. After my youth sports car phase while I was a mechanic, I've bought 2nd hand every 10 years, a 5 year old model each time. Currently MB GLA 200 CDI. Yes to my Jediism playing a role, it plays a role in everything where applicable... but not for appearances, rather design language, engineering dynamics, utility, but mostly cheap price per age/mileage.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi