Jediism - Known as a "Hyper-real Religion"

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #340615 by Proteus
Jacob, in the TOTJO discord chat brought up the term "Hyper-real Religion", in response to religiously related education material over-using "I Statements". I recognized the term but forgot exactly what it described, so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Wiki Summary of Hyper-real Religion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-real_Religion

Would you consider this to be an accurate description of Jediism?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neaj Pa Bol, Carlos.Martinez3, Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340618 by

Proteus wrote: Following critiques in the Handbook of Hyper-real Religions,[10] Possamai modifies his original[1] definition of hyper-real religions to:

A hyper-real religion is a simulacrum of a religion created out of, or in symbiosis with, commodified popular culture which provides inspiration at a metaphorical level and/or is a source of beliefs in everyday life.

Would you consider this to be an accurate description of Jediism?[/quote]

I think this definition fits pretty well, but not perfectly. The part that kind of hangs me up is the reference to "a simulacrum of a religion". As I understand the meaning of "simulacrum", it means a representation or an image ... so, Jediism would by Possamai's standard would be something that resembles a religion, but isn't one.

Many Jedi don't experience their belief system this way. It is experienced as serious of a faith tradition as any of the Eastern or Abrahamic paths. So, I think Possamai's assessment is off a bit in that respect.

But he is right that it is based on commodified popular culture. Some may take that as belittling the faith, but I don't see it that way; it's actually a recognition that some of the highest values of contemporary culture are well expressed in popular modern mythology ... to the extent that some of us find inspiration in that mythology, even as we recognize it for what it is. I find that to be a life-enhancing perspective, and a positive outcome of commodification if there is to be one.

More
4 years 9 months ago #340619 by Adder
Saying 'simulation that lacks a real world referrant' seems to be an inflated way to say fantasy.... or perhaps more aptly 'phantasy'! I'd think hyper-reality always existed in spiritualities, and the difference now is we've realized we can make our own which might work better? So maybe it's more about the measure of dogma and nature of role adherents have with the creation of exploring practice.... by virtue of access to so much information and time saving tools, rather then an entirely different approach.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 9 months ago #340636 by
Idk if "hyper-reality" can't be applied to the established religions, and not just faiths like jediism. True, some are just superficial and hold no true personal value. However, I think that depends on the practitioner..

I think the present day religions all have their degree of hyper-reality. Just as much as any nontraditional spirituality. You could say the abrahamic and buddhist faiths would be less so because of their "historical" basis. That seems subjective to me, though.. with all the discrepancies in translation and seemingly lacking scientific corroboration of the more fantastical stories. Adherents take them seriously at varying degrees. Old school paganism and the proliferation of anthropological archetypes in it may qualify as a hyper-reality for those who didn't read between the lines. The more initiated student may have understood differently the purpose of the various rituals and stories..

It seems the only difference would be actually having some deep spiritual experience. Religions are dogmas and rituals used to recreate a sort of "super-real" state in one's self. That sense of connecting deeply to something greater than yourself. So deep that it can dominate one's nature.. are they suggesting that this sort of trendy spiritualism we see today cannot inspire genuine spiritual experiences on their own?.. it just seems like semantics to me..

But this idea of hyper-reality kind of begs the question, "What IS reality?".. I think settling the question of what these experiences themselves are in an objective way would put the issue to rest.. I mean, what if we understood what happened when we died? If there's nothing after. Then a lot of this is pointless in my opinion..

More
4 years 8 months ago #340643 by Carlos.Martinez3

Proteus wrote: Jacob, in the TOTJO discord chat brought up the term "Hyper-real Religion", in response to religiously related education material over-using "I Statements". I recognized the term but forgot exactly what it described, so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Wiki Summary of Hyper-real Religion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-real_Religion

Would you consider this to be an accurate description of Jediism?

Hey Pro - I would say that one of the “joys” of at least , my own Jedi ism, is that it ... CAN... be a option or a definition like many other things we can choose. It all depends. Partly on what’s chosen and by who. Seeking character is a more difficult thing to do and even more is labeling it. Not my cup of tea. Level maker that is ... I find it neat that we as modern day Jeddist even our own labels and ideas. There was a neat “kay fabe “ idea that came out as well that makes me think of this description as well. Labels that fit almost anywhere. How do you label or name working that can be adjusted or tailored to anyone of the 7 billion individual hearts... pretty tough some days! Lol .
If I create soothing and dwell in it - does that make it constant?

I’ve read countless articles of individuals overcoming things for the better of groups of small people. Wouldn’t that be a different type of world to live in ? People just acting like people not for fame or favor but just to help.? Anyhow - I like the idea of “hyper real religion “ because then what will the hyper real religion of the hyper real religion look like? Maybe THATS Jedi ism ? Maybe it’s both ? Hmm? Thanks for the ideas and thought. I’ll be looking and keeping up with this thread if I can! Thanks

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi