TOTJO LIbrary Discussion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332546 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
I’m all for finding ways around the system. Especially when the content creator has been deceased for a long time.

However, I’d encourage us to find ways of compensating living creators, whose works we admire.

Just thought I’d throw that thought in. Busy day!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #332548 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
I did a bunch of edits, as an aside.

I'm all for compensation, I specifically buy the books I derived benefit from when I am able to to compensate them.

Sometimes the deceased authors have foundations or charities they liked. Overall simply buying the book or doing a donation should suffice.

It does give me an idea to try and find books that cover the IP or seminary and bundle them. Hm.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332550 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
I suppose I am adding the weird perspective of "books written in languages other than English" - i.e. German, Dutch, French; that would be cheaper to post and and harder to find in local libraries than just "books". It's that odd thing of living in Belgium though that you get so used to things being written in "foreign" that they do just become... "books". Sorry I didn't make that clear!

More
5 years 3 months ago #332553 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
Rather than setting-up a type of 'hardship fund' to donate books to people who can't afford them which can be massively open to abuse, and probably limited in scope - I'd rather TOTJO buy the ebook and then be able to lend it out to any member. But I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise!

Twig - good point!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #332554 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
I just love seeing the fact that we're discussing (and making an actual effort towards...?) making the library -and dare I say it by extension the IP -compliant with international copyright protections. About dang time.

THANK YOU

I hope this apparent effort bears fruit.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332555 by
Lending out an eBook seems morally grey. I know that you mentioned that we have a right to share up to 5 or 6 copies of an eBook across devices, but does that not come with a stipulation that the eBook should not be shared interpersonally?

Or is there opening in that policy to share between people?

More
5 years 3 months ago #332556 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion
No that'll work. I wonder how to set that up. I also leave it in your capable hands. I can donate money to such a fund

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Loudzoo

More
5 years 3 months ago #332557 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic TOTJO LIbrary Discussion

Connor L. wrote: Lending out an eBook seems morally grey. I know that you mentioned that we have a right to share up to 5 or 6 copies of an eBook across devices, but does that not come with a stipulation that the eBook should not be shared interpersonally?

Or is there opening in that policy to share between people?

I don't know if this exists in other platforms, but I do know the Nook system has (used to have at least) a lending mechanic. It was limited. Only certain books were eligible and you could only lend it out to one person at a time. While it was lent out, you couldn't read it. And it defaulted to a two week period...

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332558 by
A big thing, and would be an undertaking spearheaded by the librarian... Jedi made documents, books, essays, ect.

I find, with this, you'd have to be a bit forceful. Ask people to write about certain things, stuff they're going through or things they have experience in. Thiught peices, poems, parables (feel free to add my Jedi and the Ancient Tree parable to the library btw)...to create a self made library rather than one that teeters on morality.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 3 months ago #332559 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Library Discussion

Nakis wrote: Edit 2: I also want to ensure that we have the greatest ease of access for everyone. I'm not saying any one way is best, but allow me to state my concerns that I would ask be in consideration:

1. Some Jedi do not have access to great library systems that can meet their need.

2. Some Jedi have limited funds in terms of buying or sending books to each other.

3. Some Jedi are still under their robes and may rather keep digital files that are easily hidden rather than risk being outed in public if the books are found by family, friends, co-workers.

I only ask on these items to help address those who are without or are in more risky situations. I'm not saying there is a perfect solution, nor that we need any 1 program that addresses everything, but I ask when we enter this conversation that these are kept in mind and that we continually find ways to keep costs low, keep high dissemination of information, address concerns, and keep things legal.

I want to address your second edit because I think it’s important that these points don’t get buried in the edit-palooza.

1. While Jedi might not have access to a “great library”, almost any library can function with inter-library loan. Even if that means having a Jedi Literature Advocate speak to both libraries in question. I have only not been able to acquire a book once, and that was because an obscure library in Europe wasn’t interested in flying the book overseas.

It may take more work, but it’s worth it. It’s not about the books that a library does or doesn’t have; it’s about the US Postal Service and Worldcat.

2. This is absolutely true. And, if we can find a way to verify financial hardship, then that could be worked around. Loudzoo is right to be wary of a scholarship program being abused. That sounds like a long-term project to really understand the tax and other financial implications.

3. I empathize. Though, I’m finding it hard to imagine connecting Alan Watts and Joseph Campbell specifically to the Jedi Path. Do we have any books thay directly out us? Or am I missing something?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi