TOTJO LIbrary Discussion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332560 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Avalon, that’s a very interesting mechanic. Though, would that require the recipient to also have a nook?

Arisaig, I agree. We should be able to stand on our own two feet intellectually. Reliance on outside materials to teach our basics is not good spirituality.

Joseph Campbell does not own the Hero’s Journey.

Alan Watts doesn’t own meditation.

Nobody owns the Force.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332562 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
It requires a Nook account. B&N has Nook apps for phones and PCs (and I think Macs) both that are free and will read the books.

I actually had a friend lend me a book for a school project a few years ago when I was writing a persuasive essay on the way the military handles sexual assault cases. It was a life saver because I couldn't find that book at a local library.

Ari, I have always loved the idea of Jedi created materials. I think we might be better off using both legally obtained outside material in combination with said created materials. There's something to be said for the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality and there is a ton of great material already in existence... We just need to find a proper system for it.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332563 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
There is plenty to investigate here - for instance lendle.me might work well for sharing ebooks in the US

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Loudzoo.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332565 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic TOTJO Library Discussion

Connor L. wrote:

Nakis wrote: 3. I empathize. Though, I’m finding it hard to imagine connecting Alan Watts and Joseph Campbell specifically to the Jedi Path. Do we have any books thay directly out us? Or am I missing something?

The main consideration for this point is less the IP but any other Jedi, or religious material, or assumed religious material that we may have in our library. I used to go to a church in which D&D books were explicitly believed to teach magic. Some places may see a philosopher and believe that the book is immoral or wrong. My consideration for this is to allow the Jedi in question find a safe path for them to maneuver as their region dictates. Sometimes what we see as silly is taken very seriously elsewhere, so it's more giving people the ability to move on their own terms.

This in no way changes the debate, just clarifying my concern here. The current discussion is going good, I just wanted to make sure that these points were talked about.

Licensed Clergy Person

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 2 months ago #332566 by
Replied by on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Oh! I see.

My main focus has been the IP, hence my bias in my responses.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #332568 by Nakis
Replied by Nakis on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
Aye, the best and first uses for the Library are for IP, it's also used for so much more which is why I addressed my concerns so widely. It's less 2-5 books and more the...30+(?) We have in the library.

Any decision made would need to either be replicable for all materials, or find a way to keep everything we have and -will- add.

Licensed Clergy Person
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Nakis.

More
5 years 2 months ago #332572 by Loudzoo
The library should definitely be useful for the IP but there is only 1 book required for the IP - The Book by Alan Watts. The Kindle edition is less than £5 in the UK, there is an abridged version as an audiobook on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5hLnNRxYqc&list=PLC08230E51CF8718B&index=1, and you can download it for free (apparently legally) here: http://www.freespiritualebooks.com/the-book.html

We will be able to work out 90% of the library with out radically changing very much at all. The other 10% we'll have to see . . .

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook

More
5 years 2 months ago #332573 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
I'm glad to know that we are having this conversation. I can see where Nakis' concern may lie especially as many of the books in our current library deal with some interesting topics: satanism, buddhism, paganism to name a few. People should not have to eat that particular courage to explore that topic

Like Avalon, I am quite happy to see this coversation happening. It speaks to the sort of librarian that we have that we are looking for solutions and I will support the well thought out ones with my Council vote

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Loudzoo

More
5 years 2 months ago #332574 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic TOTJO Library Discussion
It would be nice for the things that we can't share that does need purchased if there was a section with links for suggested purchases too, nothing required to do IP or Degree schemes etc but suggested reading/learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Loudzoo

More
5 years 2 months ago #332575 by Loudzoo
exactly Tella and we can provide links through the TOTJO Amazon Smile account so the Temple can earn a fee cents each time someone does buy something

The Librarian
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi