lightsabers and self defense

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331301 by OB1Shinobi
Thanks for the video. Id say you got a more realistic method when you took the blade off and just used the light. Which brings me back to my earlier statement about simply using an actual flashlight in one hand and a real weapon in the other. You may not wish to use light at all, but if you do, how to do so effectively has already been delineated by police and miltary professionals. I know that lightsabers are fun and theyre the jedi thing, but if youre going to be serious about the question of defending your home or family in a real, life or death situation, why muck about with how best to use a toy as a substitute for a proper tool? Why not begin the topic by drawing on the results of those who have already learned through real life application?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331303 by OB1Shinobi
You know what would be a cool video? Hitting things with a lightsaber. I suggested a can of soup earlier but im sure if we wanted to, we could come up with all kinds of objects that are common enough that we all understand them, and the breaking of which would prove a lightsabers destructive capabilities. How about a cinder block? How far can you hit a baseball with a lightsaber? Can you put a serious dent in a metal fence post? Break a coconut? What else?

Even if you dont want to make a video about it, it would be useful for your own practice (if you havent done it already) to find out what the saber is really capable of. Maybe even bring along a baseball bat for comparison.

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331305 by
Replied by on topic lightsabers and self defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-FquKWbQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncCcansHSM
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
5 years 4 months ago #331310 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic lightsabers and self defense
If you have questions about the strength of a polycarbonate blade...watch the mallet test

https://youtu.be/jodvHSJxjyI

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331311 by OB1Shinobi
I would have liked to see him really smash the heck out of it, with serious intent. Maybe even with a metal hammer, rather than a rubber mallet. But ok, its not even that i dont believe the material is strong enough to be weaponized...what id really like to see is how hard you can hit with it. Could a small female generate enough force to render a large man unconscious, or crack his skull or shin bone? Could a small male? Could anyone?

People are complicated.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
5 years 4 months ago #331312 by RyuJin
https://youtu.be/h3LMDdzFfw0

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
5 years 4 months ago #331313 by RyuJin
They try to break it

https://youtu.be/cqIQ8lkZC3g

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
5 years 4 months ago #331314 by RyuJin
Looking for a specific video i saw years ago..

https://youtu.be/hZPNNTDyBUk

Quotes:

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331316 by OB1Shinobi
The more of these videos i see the more apparent it becomes that these things are toys. To their credit, they are very durable toys. But its not just how much damage they can take that matters, its how much damage they can inflict. Can any of you break cinder block? A cobblestone? Can you bust open a can of green beans? Can you put a big dent in a metal fence post? Or the round metal poles the city uses to hold up the signs on the road? Smash a car windshield? Warp the mesh of a metal shopping cart? These would be convincing videos.

Now that i think of it, manufacturers certainly know that kids are going to be swinging these things at each other and probably figure the worst thing that could happen is for some 16 yr old to get his/her skull cracked by an excited little brother or sister. They probably intentionally design the sabers so that its nearly impossible to seriously injure someone with them.

You might be strong enough to hurt someone with that but until Cold Steel releases a lightsaber line, i will stick with the hammer or the good ole baseball bat for all my bludgeoning needs.

People are complicated.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331318 by OB1Shinobi
Ryujin, youre experienced in at least ten martial arts, from what youve said before, and have been trainig for decades. You may well be able to use these things as a weapon but youre an exception. I couldnt put a heavy guy on his arse with any of the sabers i saw in the vids that i watched, and i dont think most other people could, either.

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi