lightsabers and self defense

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331211 by
Does anyone use or would use a lightsaber for self defense?

If not would anyone use martial arts or prefer to use their saber

how effective would you think they would be if someone broke into your home or tried to mug you or would it depend on the kind of saber you buy. (I'd think they actually be kind of useful at night due to the fact they glow :P

Has that ever happened to you where you had to defend yourself with a lightsaber?

Also a bonus

Does anyone use a red lightsaber or lightsaber pike or double bladed, because I have only seen Jedi use standard or shoto and use single or dual blades :P
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #331212 by
Replied by on topic lightsabers and self defense
Seems there is a fascination in creating new lightsaber threads...

Would we use lightsabers?
How to use Shoto Sabers
What do you do with lightsabers?
Does anyone have a Darksaber
The main difference between these two lightsabers

And I'm pretty sure these questions were answered in at least three of those...

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331214 by OB1Shinobi
Get a can of soup or green beans out of the pantry, take it outside and hit it with your lightsaber. If you can bust the can open in 3 hits or less or wack it hard enough to launch it onto the roof of your house, then youve got something that can work for self defense.
Tell ya what, make it five hits or less.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
5 years 4 months ago #331226 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic lightsabers and self defense
Lightsabers have a tactical advantage if used at night...since most have extremely bright led's simply turning one on in an intruders face would blind them long enough to disorient them and allow you to attack a few times before they could retreat or retaliate...and if you have a heavy grade polycarbonate blade....it's as solid as a wooden rod or stronger and can effectively bludgeon them...so defensively, a lightsaber is a good weapon to use depending on its quality....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331231 by OB1Shinobi
RyuJin made an important point wth the words “depending on its quality” .
There are people who will back off if you swat them with something that really stings, but the ones you have to prepare for are the ones who will just come at you harder. A bludgeon weapon that cant break a skull or a shin bone or knock a large man senseless is sub par, particularly in a confined space where he can rush you and you cant just back away. If you can keep moving around while whipping the snot out of them with something light then they might eventually decide its not worth the trouble, but if you have your back to the wall they can eat a hit or two in order to get close and then its a grappling match. Id add that bludgeons in general arent great for indoor fighting, as the walls and furniture will often get in the way. Shorter bludgeons are like maybe a pair of nunchucks or an expandable baton or - my preference - a ball peen hammer with a lanyard attached, will be better suited for confined environment.
Stabbing implements would better than bludgeons and projectiles would be better than stabbing.

About the light. The saber may disorient someone but you also have to think youre hitting him with the part that glows. He can see your body in the glow of the light and he can track the weapos movement. Just shining a regular but very bright flashlight into someones eyes effectively blinds them to you. All they can see is that beam of light, and it hurts. They cant see any of your body so they dont know what your holding and cant tell when you move unless the light moves. This with pistol in the other hand is a superior home defense combination. If you dont have a pistol, well like i said, ball peen hammer on a lanyard would be my preference. Or a meat cleaver.

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #331232 by
About the light aspect... depend on your setup, if you have no soundboard to fight against, you can (with practise) flicker the blade on and off by lightly tapping the ignition. This creates a strobe, and can easily stun and disorient your opponent while you go in for a solid strike.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331234 by OB1Shinobi
Thats an interesting idea. If you could generate a strobe light effect that only he would experience then that would definitely be an advantage. I dont feel too confident about using your finger to manually ignite each burst of light while trying to maneuver yourself and the weapon in a home invasion situation, though. Might, with practice, be able to do such a thin, but probably not under that kind of pressure, tbh. A strobe option on the saber might work. Again, its not an advantage if its affecting you both, equally, so check for that.

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 4 months ago #331235 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: If you could generate a strobe light effect that only he would experience then that would definitely be an advantage. I dont feel too confident about using your finger to manually ignite each burst of light while trying to maneuver yourself and the weapon in a home invasion situation, though. Might, with practice, be able to do such a thin, but probably not under that kind of pressure, tbh. A strobe option on the saber might work. Again, its not an advantage if the strobe is affecting your vision of him as well.

I should do a video to demonstrate. I've used it against my brother to mess him up. I hold the blade to the side, so I don't see it, or in a high guard above my head. The strobe affect then is only visible to him (the surprise effect helps, I'm prepared for it, he isn't.). Its sorta funny, because to him, the previously glowing blade dissapears, changes places, strobes, then changes places suddenly and twacks. XD

More
5 years 4 months ago #331237 by thomaswfaulkner

Does anyone use or would use a lightsaber for self defense?

No, I don't think I would use my saber as a form of defense unless I would absolutely had no other choices available. I typically only have the saber in one to two places...in the house or in the yard. In the house, it wouldn't be effective, like OB said..it's range is just not appropriate to stop unexpected person in my house. They are in my house for a reason, and I don't want them there. If my lightsaber was in my hand, it'll make a good projectile to either create that space to get away, or to get in and neutralize the threat.

If not would anyone use martial arts or prefer to use their saber

For me, leaning back on what little I do know about combative would be a nice baseline, but I'm looking to do a few things: 1.) Neutralize the threat; and 2.) Not die in the process. Anything I can do to achieve those things, with the least level of intervention possible, in that moment, is fair game.

how effective would you think they would be if someone broke into your home or tried to mug you or would it depend on the kind of saber you buy. (I'd think they actually be kind of useful at night due to the fact they glow :P

You'd have to think about the mind of the criminal. The glow of the saber is nice, but depending on the situation/environment, it discloses my location and it places me in a situation where I have to face the combatant with my hands occupied. If he is armed, I'm a a giant lighted target. If anything, if I'm holding that saber, you can sure bet it's going to be lobbed at that person to gain some leverage in creating that space or closing the distance. I'm not trying to be a hero in any break in situation, I simply want to live.

Has that ever happened to you where you had to defend yourself with a lightsaber?

Not at all and I hope I never have to.

Does anyone use a red lightsaber or lightsaber pike or double bladed, because I have only seen Jedi use standard or shoto and use single or dual blades :P

Nope nope nope.

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #331238 by OB1Shinobi
I see what youre saying. Yea, thats pretty cool.
The thing about someone being in your home is that youre not going to think very well or execute fine motor movements very well if it happens. The more details you have to remember for your tactic to work, the more likely something will go wrong. Getting a strobe option would make the tactic more reliable, provided that you and the saber can inflict the level of damage necessary to kill or knock someone unconscious.

EDIT:
A couple people have Thanked me and i hope this doesnt “mess up” your feeling that what ive said was worthwhile but i have to add this: if you are planning to protect yourself from an intruder in your home, get a gun. Lightsabers are cool and fun and theyre the Jedi thing, and maybe some of them even could be useful in some SD (self defense) capacity. But if we are making plans for a life or death encounter, lets be serious: get a gun. Thats the best SD option you have (if you live somewhere that allows it).

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi