Is the term “toxic masculinity” useful?

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #322053 by Zenchi

Luthien wrote: I would assume by the way you dismissed my posting of a link with your passive aggressive posting of a link that would supposedly counter what I posted that you didn't actually read what I posted. Regardless of whether you didn't read it or simply skimmed it, it doesn't prove either of us right or wrong. It is quite the opposite; it poses that toxic femininity and toxic masculinity point to the same direction--worst-case gender archetypes exist in society. I do respect that you read what Dr. Saad wrote, as I have listened and read some of what he has to say about a lot of things (being that he's an evolutionary behavioral scientist). This whole tribalist stance that you take against the "left and feminists" is pretty absurd. But, such is the effect of a mind virus. The same happens on the left, I promise. I don't identify with either side of the political fence because they're both extreme in their views. Anyway, before I get too off topic, I read a snippet in a Wikipedia article:

Toxic masculine norms are a feature of life for men in American prisons, where they are reflected in the behavior of both staff and inmates. The qualities of extreme self-reliance, domination of other men through violence, and avoiding the appearance of either femininity or weakness, comprise an unspoken code among prisoners. Suppressing vulnerable emotions is often adopted in order to successfully cope with the harsh conditions of prison life, defined by punishment, social isolation, and aggression. These factors likely play a role in suicide among male prisoners.

So, basically, if you were to spend some time in a male prison, you would see all the toxic masculine behaviors being displayed, although way more extreme in nature than in society as a whole.

I've spent time locked up, I'm not overly concerned with "being right" nor do I refer to Wikipedia for any source of truth, lol. Just offering an alternative perspective... :)

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Zenchi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #322054 by Carlos.Martinez3
Used to be : that type of behavior ran the inside with an iron fist clenched back in the day but in America you would be surprised what runs in the systems now. Seen it first hand - that’s a beast all in itself. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously selling something. Any how- as I see it - the real problem with toxic behavior is its being passed and cultivated and it’s offspring seem to take it to more further and further and make ways to mature or mask it as difrent names. I applaud the chain breakers - those who are actively changing it in themselfs and in those they reach! Whoo rahhh! To all those who have broken and will break those chains I salute you and hope our children collaborate some day! To those trying currently..
There is light at the end of the tunnel ... you may have to be and hold it yourself so be ready !
It can and has been done ! May the force we share and seek and serve be with us all !!!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #322055 by OB1Shinobi
Ive been reading the article you posted Luthien and i havent finished it yet (there a lot to it) but so far its been quite good. I havent gotten to the point where he defends the use of the term "toxic masculinity" and if i had to guess based on what i HAVE read so far, it doesnt look like he ever will. But again, thats only a guess. Anyway, i think its worth reading for everyone.

As for prison: i dont think its fair to use it as an example of toxic masculinity simply because its way too artificial of a setting. What happens in prison is a result of the prison context. The environment is already there and the pattern is already set; a man who find himself in that setting had better be able to access some of that "toxic masculinity" or else he might next find himself wearing tight-a$$ pants and painting his lips red with jolly ranchers (and not because he wants to). So this begs a question: if a person feels the need to engage in "toxic" behavior as an adaptive mechanism to keep himself safe, is it really toxic, or merely an adaptive mechanism to a dangerous situation?

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #322056 by
I get what you mean about prisons being a smaller, more violent portion of society that doesn't interact with the rest of society. I wonder if prison culture influenced toxic masculinity in the general, larger society as a whole, or if some of the toxic behaviors influenced prison culture. I know it's more adaptive to the environment, but I wonder how it started or where it came from. Nature, presumably. Then again, not everything that is natural is good for us.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #322064 by
There's no "debate" on the usefulness of the term. Debating the term instead of debating the problem is just plain distraction from the problem.

And again, just more knee-jerk reactions to the word "toxic" applied next to the word "masculinity" as if it is an insult towards masculinity.

All I can figure is that everyone is so eye-deep in the phenomenon that they can't even see it and therefore can't discuss it properly...except you Carlos, you seem to have gotten a grip and realized that you were a victim of Toxic Masculinity. Sadly, most men don't and are stuck in it forever.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT BASHING MEN, IT'S ABOUT CALLING OUT A SOCIETY THAT WON'T LET MEN LIVE TO THEIR FULL HUMAN POTENTIAL BECAUSE THEY ARE STUCK IN THE MYTH OF THE "REAL MAN"....and that is the complete and total explanation in a nutshell.

Application of the term in any other way only helps Toxic Masculinity continue to pervert our society and anyone that pulls this conversation AWAY from the true definition of Toxic Masculinity is obviously still suffering under its control over their paradigm of reality; or they are still convinced that the myth of the Real Man is true and they are trying to destroy the term and the movement behind the term...which yes is real and is happening just like it happened when women stood up for themselves against this society.

And how this went from being a problem that EVERY MALE in America must face and handle, to being an issue for male inmates is a fine example of just exactly how arguing opinion will degrade the discussion and derail it from its true purpose, which is to break down and destroy Toxic Masculinity in America.

Sorry Locksley, but I am exiting this discussion because it can't seem to stick to facts over the butthurt opinions of some. Thank you for trying to make the temple aware of this issue in our society. And yes, I am still highly disappointed that this type of very deep thought conversation couldn't get off the ground with Jedi. I would have greatly enjoyed a full discussion with ideas on how to do my part to break down Toxic Masculinity for the men in my life so I can help to set them free from the unreasonable expectations of our society....my son is struggling with this right now and TM is SERIOUSLY affecting his sense of self-worth to society.

I know what Toxic Masculinity is. I understand it. There's no "debate" on the usefulness of the term. Debating the term instead of debating the problem is just plain distraction from the problem,

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #322065 by OB1Shinobi
All youve done is insult those who dont agree with you and insist that youre correct, wothout addressing any of the points made. That seems egotistical of you.

DeboraJ wrote: I don't believe opinionated speculation is the way of the Jedi; I believe consideration of the facts is.

This is so easy to say to other people but you havent shown that youre willing or able to do it yourself.

TM is not divisory....

If its not your personal intent to be divisive then perhaps you should stop using language that youve been informed is causing a divided reaction. Its easy enough to talk about "stereotypes, assumptions", and "prejudices" isnt it? Theres any number of ways of expressing any idea arent there? If i continue to use terms deemed offensive by the very audience that i am trying to reach, then at some point you have to wonder what my message is really about, and if its truly the same as the message that i say im promoting, right? If it were really about the issues then you wouldnt be so attached to the terminology.

Remember the issue of using "gay" as an insult? Of calling things "gay" as a way of saying they were silly or dumb? It turns out that doing this was offensive to people. Undoubtedly you are one of those who would agree that its unacceptable. Im guessing that you feel demanding privilege checks and alterations of peoples accustomed language is perfectly fair and reasonable..... until its you who is asked to check their privilege lol

It IS the beginning of a Men's Movement.

It didnt originate with men and it isnt being embraced by men. In fact, if you are paying attention to the reactions of men you will find that the majority of us have a NEGATIVE response to it. How is that a mens movement? Its not: its a leftist movement that leftists wish men would embrace.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
5 years 10 months ago #322067 by Zenchi

DeboraJ wrote: There's no "debate" on the usefulness of the term. Debating the term instead of debating the problem is just plain distraction from the problem.

And again, just more knee-jerk reactions to the word "toxic" applied next to the word "masculinity" as if it is an insult towards masculinity.

All I can figure is that everyone is so eye-deep in the phenomenon that they can't even see it and therefore can't discuss it properly...except you Carlos, you seem to have gotten a grip and realized that you were a victim of Toxic Masculinity. Sadly, most men don't and are stuck in it forever.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT BASHING MEN, IT'S ABOUT CALLING OUT A SOCIETY THAT WON'T LET MEN LIVE TO THEIR FULL HUMAN POTENTIAL BECAUSE THEY ARE STUCK IN THE MYTH OF THE "REAL MAN"....and that is the complete and total explanation in a nutshell.

Application of the term in any other way only helps Toxic Masculinity continue to pervert our society and anyone that pulls this conversation AWAY from the true definition of Toxic Masculinity is obviously still suffering under its control over their paradigm of reality; or they are still convinced that the myth of the Real Man is true and they are trying to destroy the term and the movement behind the term...which yes is real and is happening just like it happened when women stood up for themselves against this society.

And how this went from being a problem that EVERY MALE in America must face and handle, to being an issue for male inmates is a fine example of just exactly how arguing opinion will degrade the discussion and derail it from its true purpose, which is to break down and destroy Toxic Masculinity in America.

Sorry Locksley, but I am exiting this discussion because it can't seem to stick to facts over the butthurt opinions of some. Thank you for trying to make the temple aware of this issue in our society. And yes, I am still highly disappointed that this type of very deep thought conversation couldn't get off the ground with Jedi. I would have greatly enjoyed a full discussion with ideas on how to do my part to break down Toxic Masculinity for the men in my life so I can help to set them free from the unreasonable expectations of our society....my son is struggling with this right now and TM is SERIOUSLY affecting his sense of self-worth to society.

I know what Toxic Masculinity is. I understand it. There's no "debate" on the usefulness of the term. Debating the term instead of debating the problem is just plain distraction from the problem,

So glad you have us all figured out. You telling men how they should be men, is.... laughable. I'm not being ill compassionate towards your son and his current plight, however he does not represent the majority of men. The fact you feel, believe or think you can so easily group the opposite sex Into a little box is only proving my point that it's how the term is used, and not the term itself that is essentially the problem I have every time it gets brought up...

It's not the term, it's how it's presented and used as a weapon in heavily biased political agendas. None of which are healthy in today's society, imo...

There IS a problem Debra in today's society, one that has been existent in the world for thousands of years, and has only been exaggerated even more so as a result of the internet. Pointing fingers at large groups is NOT the way to correct it. It has and will continue to be met with equal resistance. So let's be Jedi and put our thinking caps on, and find a better way to approach this shall we?

I'm genuinely trying here, stop coming into threads and dropping bombs and then throwing your hands up and leaving...

It doesn't help...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #322068 by
That is odd , what has been said untill now is precisely why the concept toxic masculinity is...a sham , in nature we see masculine as normal , feminine as normal and here as humans we put toxic in front of it as if this behaviour is somehow ...unnatural. We can educate our men and woman and rape is not ok that you dont have to be half naked to attract the right mate.That ist healthy to cry and talk about our pain And somehow .. We cannot even have a discussion here in a Jedi Temple without insulting eachother ..weird right??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #322080 by
I see no insults, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 10 months ago #322081 by

Luthien wrote: I see no insults, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

DeboraJ wrote: Sorry Locksley, but I am exiting this discussion because it can't seem to stick to facts over the butthurt opinions of some.

At least from what I can find. But I think it best to drop the issue, its been addressed, continue with this conversation. Its been a wonderful read, if albeit I've not contributed to it. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi