A Wolf Among the Sheep

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319427 by
Replied by on topic A Wolf Among the Sheep
I think the point of this thread became self evident as soon as people starting posting replies. It has evoked conversations about ego, the triangle, and how we identify ourselves and others in the group dynamic. The discussion has been relatively calm and polite, even while challenging possible misconceptions. Let's not sell ourselves short by assuming the purpose or intent of the original post and instead explore what reaction it has evoked in ourselves and decide if that reaction is worth sharing here.

For what it's worth, what I took from the original post is that sometimes people feel like they are on the Path alone. While a wolf doesn't belong in a herd of sheep, sometimes a wolf doesn't even feel like they belong in a pack of other wolves. Part of my Path here has been exploring where I belong in this big mix of personalities, or if belonging is even something I strive for. It changes on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel loved and included and embraced by others, and sometimes I feel betrayed and alone. It is how I deal with these emotions that reflects my training and efforts here, and not all of us are at the same place in that training or experience.

For the record, I see this place more like a zoo. There are wolves and sheep, sure, but there are also eagles and anteaters and porcupines and lizards and giraffes. That's why this thread should exist. We get to explore who we are as individuals and perhaps determine which other animals we can live peacefully with and which ones will try to eat us :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #319431 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic A Wolf Among the Sheep

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Proteus wrote: For a self-proclaimed wolf, you seem awfully concerned here going through the trouble to write all of this. Why?

"Kyrin Wyldstar" It is for someone in particular. I'm not allowed to name who but they know who they are.

If this was for someone in particular, why didn't you just PM this to them?

rugadd
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by rugadd.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319432 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: I feel as if the original point of the thread was drowned out by some egos. What exactly was the point of posting this, and what kind of conversation did you hope it would spark?

This is a post of wisdom and prudence. Thank you. You see that I never actually declared myself to be a wolf, or a sheep. Others have decided that. But you see how quickly people here have scanned my post and jumped to conclusions and then the keyboard without even considering or pondering what I have said.

The sheep run around in a frenzy screaming I'm not a sheep or "we" are all sheep because I refuse to believe in the wolf. The wolf waits and watches and knows the truth.

I'm still confused, what was the original point of the post?, why did you post it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319435 by

Akkarin wrote: I'm still confused, what was the original point of the post?, why did you post it?

The question is not why I posted it, the question is why do you think I posted it? What did you interpret from it, how did it make you feel?

More
6 years 1 month ago #319436 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic A Wolf Among the Sheep

Senan wrote: Let's not sell ourselves short by assuming the purpose or intent of the original post and instead explore what reaction it has evoked in ourselves and decide if that reaction is worth sharing here.

For what it's worth, what I took from the original post is that sometimes people feel like they are on the Path alone. While a wolf doesn't belong in a herd of sheep, sometimes a wolf doesn't even feel like they belong in a pack of other wolves. Part of my Path here has been exploring where I belong in this big mix of personalities, or if belonging is even something I strive for. It changes on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel loved and included and embraced by others, and sometimes I feel betrayed and alone. It is how I deal with these emotions that reflects my training and efforts here, and not all of us are at the same place in that training or experience.

For the record, I see this place more like a zoo. There are wolves and sheep, sure, but there are also eagles and anteaters and porcupines and lizards and giraffes. That's why this thread should exist. We get to explore who we are as individuals and perhaps determine which other animals we can live peacefully with and which ones will try to eat us :)

"Wherever you look there is something to be seen" - Talmud

On what may be (or perhaps not) a similar note, I think this thread opens up the possibility of discussing our relationship with the group dynamic... I've seen many feel discouraged and eventually withdraw altogether from the community, and though by far the community itself is not perfect, and there is room for improvement, the best any one of us can do individually is to learn to manage the flux of emotion, expectations and importance that is revealed by our participation here. A while back, I had considered leaving, I had begun to feel a stranger here. Someone was kind enough to point out "You keep looking for yourself among them". It hit me like a brick (no, not you Brian :silly: ): a part of me was searching for validation within these virtual halls, and because it is impossible to gain any sort of "self" from the outside (self-esteem, self-validation, self-development), my search was doomed to fail. I was looking outside for what was always within.

So whatever the original intent of the OP was, thank you.

On a less serious note, your post Senan, made me think of the movie Zootopia :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rP-YP4c5I

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, , Brick,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #319437 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Akkarin wrote: I'm still confused, what was the original point of the post?, why did you post it?

The question is not why I posted it, the question is why do you think I posted it? What did you interpret from it, how did it make you feel?

Doesn't seem valid enough. You must have had a reason for feeling it necessary to post this beyond what people might feel about it.

EDIT: My, or anyone's, feelings on a matter are irrelevant. If you wanted people to feel without discussing, you have a journal to post in. If you want a discussion, you need to have a purpose to the thread, or there is no point to it, and derailing becomes impossible to define.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319438 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

The question is not why I posted it, the question is why do you think I posted it?

Not my question, my question is why did you post it? I don't know why you posted it, that's why I'm asking the question.

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: What did you interpret from it, how did it make you feel?

You said:

It is for someone in particular. I'm not allowed to name who but they know who they are.

So I interpreted that:

This comes across passive aggressive, you might think your post is about them, but from all that I can see this thread is entirely about you. It seems incredibly self-indulgent.

Kryin wrote: you see how quickly people here have scanned my post and jumped to conclusions and then the keyboard without even considering or pondering what I have said.

I have considered and pondered what you said, I'm trying not to jump to conclusions which is why I'm asking you what the point was of you posting it, why did you do it?

More
6 years 1 month ago #319439 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic A Wolf Among the Sheep
Chicken in the hen house

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319440 by

Br. John wrote: Chicken in the hen house

Cool, but how does this help further the conversation?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319442 by

Akkarin wrote: [

I have considered and pondered what you said, I'm trying not to jump to conclusions which is why I'm asking you what the point was of you posting it, why did you do it?

Why are you asking this?
Haven't you already decided why I posted this in your first reply here?
By your own writing I posted this as an oversight. To be passive aggressive and to have this be all about me, to be self indulgent. You then invalidate what you have concluded is my position as the wolf and relegate me back to the herd by telling me there is nothing I have done that has not already been done by another.

You say you are not trying to jump to conclusions and yet you have already decided exactly who and what I am and why I posted this haven't you? You buy into the paradigm and then you dismiss half of the dichotomy by invalidating the wolf. Have you not?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi