On Member Poaching

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310513 by
Replied by on topic On Member Poaching

Goken wrote:

Goken wrote: Here's the way I view it. When my family ran a martial arts school we didn't post fliers for other schools.

I'd like to expand on this slightly. That is not to say that we did not know and talk to the other local schools. We also did have our recommendations for which schools people might like if ours wasn't for them.

But we still didn't advertise for them. ;)

I think you make a very important point here Goken. TotJO offers spiritual development to it's members. It isn't a store, or a business. As a religious institution, the spiritual development of it's members is one of the most important things that it can provide. It should be put first, in my view, above any intra-jediism politics. Not everyone who walks through the login portal will connect with the materials here. I don't think members should feel afraid to help one another if they think some path they have walked in the past might help another in going forward with their spiritual development.

However, advising a member on an alternative 'fit' spiritually is an extremely responsible position for someone to be in. Therefore, this might be a privilege reserved for Knights, or more specifically Clergy, as (I imagine) it suits their experience and training most closely.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #310521 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic On Member Poaching

However, advising a member on an alternative 'fit' spiritually is an extremely responsible position for someone to be in. Therefore, this might be a privilege reserved for Knights, or more specifically Clergy, as (I imagine) it suits their experience and training most closely.

We do (or did?) have a rule that only Knights can conduct training.

Where the free-for-all opinions of the forum end and forum training begins is beyond me.

I suppose there's some sort of a distinction between "Hey friends, I'm doing some pretty cool stuff with my physical training these days, have you heard of GOMAD?" and "Hey friends, these TotJO people are all losers, come hang out and my site and have more or less the same discussions and ideas, but I'm in charge, so it'll be way cooler, and we'll play beer pong!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lykeios Little Raven,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310522 by

JamesSand wrote:

We do (or did?) have a rule that only Knights can conduct training.

Where the free-for-all opinions of the forum end and forum training begins is beyond me.

I suppose there's some sort of a distinction between "Hey friends, I'm doing some pretty cool stuff with my physical training these days, have you heard of GOMAD?" and "Hey friends, these TotJO people are all losers, come hang out and my site and have more or less the same discussions and ideas, but I'm in charge, so it'll be way cooler, and we'll play beer pong!"

Of course, there is no such thing as those people who say "Hey, I see you had questions about meditation. My site has a cirriculum about the subject if your interested as an addition to your training here." Coz I mean....who ever heard of multi tasking and participating in more than one location....Pffft....crazy! ;)

More
6 years 3 months ago #310525 by JamesSand

Of course, there is no such thing as those people who say "Hey, I see you had questions about meditation. My site has a cirriculum about the subject if your interested as an addition to your training here." Coz I mean....who ever heard of multi tasking and participating in more than one location....Pffft....crazy!

And there in lies the fuzzy grey area - Is that offering an interesting resource, or is it offering training, or is it offering a cooler "club" to join? (i'm not making a call either way, I'm just floating some points of view)

I'm not a TotJO Loyalist, by any stretch, but I can understand how, in the views of the organisation, the best option here is for Knights to determine if they want to add such a curriculum into their apprentice programmes, or something along those lines.

Fuzzy.

Grey.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310526 by
All i continue to hear is

Fear

Distrust

In-ability to handle a few strays

Controlling

Restrictive

And hey. Whatever. That is completely the right of this temple and it's council. But sitting here trying to sugar coat the obvious is rather pointless and unfair to people stuck trying to dance around this "Grey Fuzzy Area."

There is a reason why I rarely if ever offer any advice or suggestions or ideas to new member questions. Because it is far too frustrating to try and figure out what is ok and what is not and takes too long to beg permission every single time you want to try and offer outside optional resource.

It commonly leads to posts being deleted and these topics resurfacing :-p

If there MUST be rules about this, then be clear. Fuzzy Grey is only going to encourage further future problems like this one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #310527 by
As previously mentioned Kitsu, we are doing just that. :-)
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310528 by

JLSpinner wrote: As previously mentioned Kitsu, we are doing just that. :-)

So I've read :) And commented on. At this point we are all 'Just Talking' now...I could be wrong?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310530 by
I just wanted to insure that we are working at it. Hatter is drafting a clearer set of policies in regards to a lot of the feedback we have received. Then he will get feedback from the moderators and such before it's taken before Council. It won't be ready fast, but it is getting done.

More
6 years 3 months ago #310546 by JamesSand

All i continue to hear is

Fear

Distrust

In-ability to handle a few strays

Controlling

Restrictive

And hey. Whatever. That is completely the right of this temple and it's council. But sitting here trying to sugar coat the obvious is rather pointless and unfair to people stuck trying to dance around this "Grey Fuzzy Area."

There is a reason why I rarely if ever offer any advice or suggestions or ideas to new member questions. Because it is far too frustrating to try and figure out what is ok and what is not and takes too long to beg permission every single time you want to try and offer outside optional resource.

It commonly leads to posts being deleted and these topics resurfacing :-p

If there MUST be rules about this, then be clear. Fuzzy Grey is only going to encourage further future problems like this one.

I'm in a grumpy mood, so we can play your game :)

All I continue to hear is that you feel
Fear, Distrusted, Controlled, Restricted :)

I'm not sugar coating the obvious, but you're making a fair effort and painting the whole scenario with a coat of "moustache twirling villain"

Your frustration is not necessarily a flaw with TotJO, and if I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to push TotJO into a corner - either they give you free reign to teach your own school of Jediism here, or they put in place strict rules preventing it, and you can dance a happily justified dance in proving what a narrow and controlling temple of jediism it is.

and until they do either, you accuse them of being vague and indecisive and arbitrary in their rulings.

I've never been any good at working out the difference between a "freedom fighter" and a "rebel" or "insurgent"

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310548 by
Except that I wasn't playing any game. Nor am I the only one who has these feelings and complaints. And I have clearly stated...frequently....that I recognize the Temples rights to do what they feel is right no matter how much I agree or disagree with it.

So....Your just being your usual critical self ;)

All I want is to be able to respond to people without fear of being reprimanded or deleted for being insightful/helpful. I don't think that is asking too much

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi