On Member Poaching

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310387 by
On Member Poaching was created by
Yesterday, I posted a response in this thread about journeys and such. I felt like it was an opportune time to hint at the future website that I and some friends are working on—a journey of sorts. I did not post a link. In fact, all I did was post a screenshot.

Today—not unexpectedly—I found that my response was deleted. This is where I get to my point... why are the staff here at TotJO so afraid of losing members?

I've built a lot of Jedi websites over the years, some of them during the existence of TotJO, for which I've posted links, which were promptly removed. You have to believe me, I have NO desire to "poach members". It is not my intent to get people to come to MY site instead of this one. In fact, I would prefer some sort of partnership, or at least a communication between the sites. Maybe that's asking too much, I don't know. But again, I ask, why is TotJO so afraid that members will leave? What is more important, the wisdom of the people, or the number of visitors here? Is this a business that is somehow believing that I represent competition? If it would make people feel better, I would GLADLY post a link to TotJO from my new site.

A friend of mine, Relan Volkum, one of the founders of the Jedi community, used to say "Unity is the key." How can the Jedi community ever come together if such divisions are upheld? The Force is with ALL of us, not just TotJO and its members.

I realize there is a small section of the forums dedicated to displaying links to other Jedi sites, but it is buried so deep inside the site that I would bet few even know it's there. When the time comes, I will contact the proper channel to get a link posted for my new site. Until then, I would like to talk about this issue. I believe all Jedi would benefit if there was more openness to the various sites around the community.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310388 by
Replied by on topic On Member Poaching
I never liked this member poaching fear and rule against sharing links.....but I've learned it's a fear this temple won't budge on. So I suggest not bothering. Feel free to share it at just Jedi though. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310396 by
I am also a member of Jedi Living and have done the Jedi Foundation tier one program.
But, I spend nearly of my time at this Temple.
We should cooperate with other Jedi sites, not fear them.
We all know where fear leads...

More
6 years 3 months ago #310397 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic On Member Poaching
It is my understanding(and I could be mistaken) that the member poaching rule was more focused on individuals who we're intentionally attempting to drag members away for the purpose of causing problems or corruption etc, like back when the annoying sith sites were more active and had a mission statement of actually trying to screw with jedi as more of a roleplay form as an example. This is a rule from way back when to protect membership, it also protected membership from members who just joined the community for the first time whose ego was so big they insisted they knew better then everyone and would try and peel members away to go start a new order when they were very inexperienced in reality etc, it was all to protect corruption of a members path, not to limit their path, or limit people going to other communities. It was not to long ago we actually had a thread that pointed people to several different places when there was a big disruption of drama here.

It's also not very clear(and this is actively in progress of being reviewed) but there is an allowance for links to other sites as a rule as well, you simply just need to ask for permission first, which I believe is just a formal request to council about the link you want to post, what it goes to, what that site is for, and what your intent is etc, and as long as we feel its not an attempt to do the above then it gets allowed, and this has also been done in the past, but again not clearly posted as a faq item or anything.

The rules/conduct/etc is in the process of being reviewed and re-written for clarity and there will be something far more easier to see and understand in the near future, several people are working on this project right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310398 by
I had given the warning about the member poaching thing, but I do have to agree with the points made. I welcome diversity in TotJO, especially across groups. I am glad to hear some of the rules are being looked into and we can hope to see change in the near future.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310403 by
I think its very unfortunate to just delete posts , the first thing to do i would think is to send the person a pm about the post where they can explain themselves. If than the post still is seen as a threat it can still be removed.

As one of the friends that Streen is talking about i can assure you that Jedi Temples and Jedi academic enviroments have nothing to fear from our website , if anything it could be a nice addition to what they learn at JL , TotJO , Just Jedi , and godknowwhatelse Jedi School.

I understand and respect the diligence of the moderators here and i hope for a good understanding amongst all Jedi , when someone oversteps this , please seek communication rather than deleting ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310405 by

Trisskar wrote: I never liked this member poaching fear and rule against sharing links.....but I've learned it's a fear this temple won't budge on. So I suggest not bothering. Feel free to share it at just Jedi though. :)

That is very kind thank you :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310406 by
It is also not necessarily a fear of member poaching, but more a demand from people that we be fair and consistent in the application of rules. If we allow one link, we have to allow them all. Otherwise the torches and pitchforks come out and we’re told it isn’t our right to pick and choose which links should be allowed and which aren’t. Someone inevitably complains that Sith sites with bad intentions are just as worthy or that someone’s podcasts should all be posted here. Anyone who has been around long enough will know who I’m talking about. It isn’t worth the drama.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310407 by

Tellahane wrote: It is my understanding(and I could be mistaken) that the member poaching rule was more focused on individuals who we're intentionally attempting to drag members away for the purpose of causing problems or corruption etc,

Im afraid not :-/ It was any and all links for any reason. I got banned for posting about Universal Force Alliance which was an early creation of Gathered Force Community with the sole intention of sharing Gathering information and archives....Soooo yea, no :-p

Things has lighten up alot since then I will give the temple that.

But I feel it shouldn't be in question at all. To just automatically assume people come here with negative intentions is a fault of the temple and not a Jedi behavior. Will the temple sometimes see mischief making members? Yes. And when that time comes it can be handled accordingly by moderators and knights of the temple pegging said mischief members as causing a "Disruption" not for sharing information.

But. I've argued this for years and its always been a "we are lookng into it" with no follow up. Sooooooo Whatever. At the end of the day every group has it's good points and it's not so good points. If folks really want to share knowledge and information. There are plenty of other groups who are less terrified of trouble makers ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #310408 by

Senan wrote: It is also not necessarily a fear of member poaching, but more a demand from people that we be fair and consistent in the application of rules. If we allow one link, we have to allow them all. Otherwise the torches and pitchforks come out and we’re told it isn’t our right to pick and choose which links should be allowed and which aren’t. Someone inevitably complains that Sith sites with bad intentions are just as worthy or that someone’s podcasts should all be posted here. Anyone who has been around long enough will know who I’m talking about. It isn’t worth the drama.

I understand your stance on this , but , no link was posted Senan , and as i said i respect the policy , and that it goes for everyone.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi