Being made fun of?

More
6 years 4 months ago #307153 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Being made fun of?
One thing that I like to ask anyone that that has issues with bullying is: " Why do you feel you give these peoples' opinions the power to impact you?" What about their opinions do you value that you let them for good or ill impact your mood and outlook? When I was bullied as a kid I came to realize that unless the person was someone I respected and cared about there was no real reason to allow strangers views to impact my day. Now that is not always easy to heed to but if you ask it often enough you tend to at least in my experience be able to shrug off the taunts of many.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #307165 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Being made fun of?
I am a fan first and foremost. I am a fan at the way G L wrote a story about a character ... many characters , I identify with, thru storytelling . His way was awesome and very mind opening to me. I can relate a lot to many difrent characters in his story's.
Now , I choose to be Jedi, as I choose to be many other things. There are sooooo many difrent variations of Jedi. Those who like to dress those who like to play those who like to read those who like to fight those who like to practice , the list goes on and on. There will be those in life who hate regardless of label or choice. Hate comes from any where and some times everywhere. As a Jedi we believe in may things but one of the many key things is we believe in the inherit worth of all. Easy er said than done. Even the haters ! It is said: Your focus determins your reality. Haters hate some time just to hate . Don't let it get ya down , there gunna be there your whole life , how you resolve and react is to you. Jedi ism CAN help to remind you of your choice or choises! May the Force be with you ! Feel free to pm me , my inbox is always open .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307172 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Being made fun of?
Theres gonna be times in your life when people make fun of you, for all kinds of things. Times when people judge you, stereotype you, misunderstand you, dismiss you, reject you, dislike you, condemn you. You have to know your own dignity and believe in your own value, even (ESPECIALLY) when youre the only one who does. You have to be able to stand on your own two feet and sometimes that means standing alone.

If you do your best to stay positive, to carry yourself with integrity, and to treat people with respect even when it seems like you have very few people on your side, the ones who are on your side will be of good quality and they will recognize you for your good quality.

Sometimes when people tease you it is an opportunity to roll with things and keep it playful. It IS kind of funny to call yourself a jedi, so let it be funny. Make a joke out of it and dont take it too personal or serious. Let it be fun and sometimes people will see that youre cool just by the way you respond without getting all butt-hurt.

But also, grow some teeth. If push really comes to shove, you should be able to stand up for yourself. When youre being mistreated then you have to call it out for what it is and let people know its not ok. Most decent people will stop if you call them on it in a cool, straightfoward way. Not because because theyre afraid of you, but because its the right thing to do.
But some people wont. For those who want to keep going, find a way to bite back. Find some way to show people that if if they really want to push it, youll make sure that it turns out to be more trouble for them than its worth and that youll give more grief than they want to deal with. Even if you dont "win", you can still get your point across by being a huge pain in their ass.

Youll find some weird magical thing happens to you after youve learned to stand up for yourself; you stop having to! Somehow, most people just seem to know that its better not to come after you once youve made it a point to give it back to them when they do.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307177 by
Replied by on topic Being made fun of?
Absolutely. I was a sophomore in high school 1986. If you're familiar with Napoleon Dynamite, imagine that dude with black hair, and yes, I had nun-chucks in my locker.

I was 6' 175lbs at the time; the only football player in chess club. Nobody knew what to do with me. Okay, maybe a few.

They liked to turn the stones of their class rings to the palm side of their hand and smack me on the head.

Jediism wasn't around, to my knowledge, but I had all the coolest gear.

Fear is the father of bullying. You intimidate them. You have a wonderful support system here, I can tell. You Jedi aren't too shabby! They won't do you wrong.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi