Being made fun of?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #306959 by
Being made fun of? was created by
So i'm a Sophomore in High school, and my friends and other people make fun of me because of my belief in Jediism. Does anybody else have the same issue?
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MadHatter. Reason: Moderated due to reference to youth members age.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #306960 by
Replied by on topic Being made fun of?
It is to be expected.

Many, at the beginning, thought I was just being a mega nerd (which I am, but besides the point). Also, well, high schoolers... they can be cruel for no reason.

My coworkers began to see this was more than just ultimate nerdom when they started seeing growth within me, seeing actual change physically, mentally, and spiritually. It takes time.

Until then, kids will attack those that are different because they are, well, kids. ;P Don't take their jabs personally, they probably don't mean it. Be the example of what Jediism is. Who knows, perhaps some will check it out and become Jedi themselves. ;)

We are here for you, Jedi. Always connected with the Force. :)

EDIT: I should add that, if you are in need of deeper spiritual help, the Contact Clergy button is above. But if you just need advise, to vent, or just chat, my inbox is open. :)
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306962 by
Many people fear what they don't understand. This fear might not even register within their thoughts. To rationalize the unknown they mock it, try to lessen it's power over themselves. Also as Ari said people are mean.
Let them turn blue in the face shouting insults while you continue to do what you do. While you grow stronger and wiser. Let them watch you change into something despite their mocking. Let them realize they have no power over you. Be the example of a peaceful warriors. Help those whom ask for it and fall not into emotional reactions. Make the most of your time and don't give up the moment with worry for the bullies.

More
6 years 4 months ago #306964 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Being made fun of?
If it helps I am a teacher at High School and people don't understand. In the end I don't really justify it because my actions do. Being kind to each and thinking logically will put you on a different plane than most people. On that plane remember we are all ignorant, and so I guess to sum it up. Don;t worry about their words and their actions no matter how cruel but focus on your words and your actions to ensure you are not cruel and adventually they will forget what details make what about you but the you that is the real you.

Hopefully this is understandable.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306965 by
I tackle my father-in-law by being really polite - not formal polite, but relaxed polite - I genuinely try to take an interest in where he got his understanding of my beliefs from. I don't know if that helps you any; because it may be easier for me I think. 1) I'm older, but 2) he confuses my beliefs with my mothers, and my mothers with... something I barely recognise... so it's easy for me to be having a little a laugh on the inside; and that might be what makes it so easy for me just to remain polite; un-bothered by unkind things he says, and genuinely curious in the other things....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306967 by
Derision and mockery can have a much stronger effect when you're a sophomore than when you're a bit older and less exposed to peer pressure, I think. But even now, remember that no one can take your honor from you. When people express a judgment about you, they're not really judging *you* but their mental construct of you. And so their judgment says more about their misconceptions than it ever could about you.

More
6 years 4 months ago #306968 by Angelus
Replied by Angelus on topic Being made fun of?
I joined TOTJO when I was in the eighth grade (2008 or so). I am now 23 and just out of University. I have told very few people about my being a Jedi, it didn't often occur to me, as the ways in which I choose to identify are largely my private business. Of those I told, none took a lasting interest or seemed to care enough to want to understand.

If you aren't bullied for being a Jedi, kids will find a reason to bully you for something else. It's like a series of fun little challenges to overcome. :)

Given the fact that Jediism is still largely unknown and that most find our faith inseparable from the Star Wars universe and mythology, I doubt the bullying or outright disapproval will go away after high school. It may become less conspicuous, but I don't suppose many people are willing, eager, or able to fully embrace the fact that it is a real faith practiced by real people.

I do not tell those around me that I am a Jedi Knight. It's not something I'm ashamed of, but you've got to pick your battles, right? Is there really a point in declaring it? I don't open conversations with discussions of my sexuality or my zodiac sign. And if faith or spirituality come up, I always say that I am an atheist (which is true) and that I am exploring my spirituality (also true). What more is there to say? What's important is that you conduct yourself with integrity, and in a manner which is consistent with the principles of the faith. Better yourself as a Jedi and better the world as a person. Better to be a Jedi in practice than in name, right?

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306986 by
I can't say that I had to deal with the idea in High School. I was made fun of for other things there though.

Ultimately I decided I had control of who I listened to, and was lucky enough to have a few friends that understood who I was and were supportive of me. Those are the people who I drew closer to me in life, and down the line the ones I told about Jediism first. Mostly they were supportive, although they really didn't understand it at first.

If their opinion matters they'll at least try to understand.

My significant other still thinks it's a bit weird, but he see's what I'm doing is important to me and has a respect for that.

Also, it helps to embrace the jokes. For my friends still trying to understand the idea, it makes them so much more comfortable when I go along with it. Granted this is from a group of people who I have no doubt joke out of love.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306988 by
Something to remember that being made fun of...is just a part of life. Dosn't really matter what it is, it 's just something that we all have to endure from time to time.

The most important part however.....is how you CHOOSE to allow it's effect on you.

During my highschool years, i was open and honest about being a Jedi, I also got my own fair share of teasing. I didn't care though. Id either laugh with them or shrug it off and let it roll off my shoulders. But I also continued to talk about it. To talk about what Jediism actualy was, the lessons we taught and learned...and little by little....others began to listen.

In the end. It is up to you. Hide it. Or Not. Care. Or not....

Personally....I find its easier to just not care what others think in this matter ;) Be the best part of you. That is all that matters.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307077 by

ThatStarWarsFan wrote: So i'm a Sophomore in High school, and my friends and other people make fun of me because of my belief in Jediism. Does anybody else have the same issue?

Some people make fun of you no matter what. I was bullied in school. For no reason. It hurts. A lot. If I were to relive those situations, I wouldn't put up with it. I don't exactly care what people think of me at this time, which may be the key in your case. But you also have to be strong. We are human, after all, and given how angry it made me back then, sometimes I wish I had retaliated. Just to show them I wasn't afraid of them.

But things change, usually for the better. I won't give you the cliche "Stand up for yourself". Just let them know you don't care what they think and that they don't scare you. In time, all this highschool bull crap will seem minuscule when you get out into the real world. I know it's hard. There will always be the mocking fools. But eventually you stop hearing them.

YOU are the Jedi. That in itself is something to be proud of. What are they? Anything? The foolish mock what they don't understand. Show them what a real Jedi is like ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi