• Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #306606 by Br. John
“There Is No Such Thing as The Bible” (But there are many books that are A Bible)

The messy scripture on display at the Museum of the Bible.

By William Saletan
Nov. 21 2017 12:15 PM

http://amp.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/11/the_messy_scripture_on_display_at_the_museum_of_the_bible.html

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Br. John. Reason: Removed duplicate line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307079 by
:blink:

Wow......

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what arrogance looks like.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

• Br. John
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
6 years 4 months ago #307104 by Br. John

Streen wrote: :blink:

Wow......

I don't have the slightest idea of what or who you are talking about.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307105 by
I've held that "everything is spin" as politics 101, rule 1, for the longest time. It's not too much of a stretch to apply that to religion, when taking into account that religious orders WERE government back when.

This is a lesson, also, of history is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for this. Great find!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307107 by

Br. John wrote:

Wow......

You denied the existence of THE Bible. I know there are other books that were not included in the Bible, but that is because they were largely discredited as being written a hundred or more years after Christ walked the Earth. The books of the Bible are there for a reason.

We may be Jedi, but to reject the largest religion in the world and the most printed book in the world is the very definition of arrogance.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #307108 by MadHatter

Streen wrote:

Br. John wrote:

Wow......

You denied the existence of THE Bible. I know there are other books that were not included in the Bible, but that is because they were largely discredited as being written a hundred or more years after Christ walked the Earth. The books of the Bible are there for a reason.

We may be Jedi, but to reject the largest religion in the world and the most printed book in the world is the very definition of arrogance.

That is the title of the article that this post was based on. All this post was, was sharing an article. The author of it makes no claims themselves but shares another persons work for discussion. So in what way is it arrogance to do so?

Further, I most assuredly reject Christianity and its holy texts because I am not a Christian. Just like Christians are not Buddhists or Wiccans and thus reject those paths and their texts. One does not have to agree with and accept a path. And to make a claim to the number of followers is simply an appeal to popularity.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MadHatter.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307109 by

Br. John wrote: I don't have the slightest idea of what or [strike]who[/strike] whom you are talking about.

Sorry. That was bugging me.

• Br. John
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • Founder of The Order
More
6 years 4 months ago #307110 by Br. John
So Streen, out of the seven versions of the Bible mentioned in the article, Hebrew, Samaritan, Catholic, Protestant, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Assyrian, which one (if any) is the correct and true version?

Founder of The Order

More
6 years 4 months ago #307111 by Carlos.Martinez3
As a Jedi, a real life Jedi, I believe in the inherent worth of all. As a Jedi I believe in the Force, that unseen...thing...these two views I hold, remind me that my faith is about myself and never about anyone else. Furthermore, it reminds me, that everyone has their own definitions, none of which can be invalidated by my single definition of my own path. My definitions have changed, since I started my Jedi path. To say one's faith, ones hope is invalid is never my goal. My syncretism and practice allows me to find other faiths, and ideas and make them my own regardless of credit. I subscribe to the all-myth.
There are many, who see differently, believe literally, and accredit precisely; my hope is that discovery/ science brings others together, too often it separates. Jediism is the label that CAN remove labels. My hope is that those who have faith, keep their faith, and grow in their faith and share their faith so in turn, I-my family-my son can experience different character available in different faiths. Many people use the word Bible. There are many books out there that are very good, for growing and for gaining character regardless of where they came from. A good example is a good example regardless of where you find it.
My the Force be with y'all as you seek it.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #307113 by
So this is just history. It's facts: The collection of texts that make up the Bible are just books. All of the books of the New Testament were written well after the death of Christ. Many of the books of the Old Testament didn't reach their final forms until around the same time.

On top of that, all of them have been translated and re-translated. Unless you speak Aramaic, you can't know what some of the originals contained. Most English translations are based on Greek into Latin into English. And that's assuming each hand-copied text was identical and correct, that we don't have any copyist errors or sloppy handwriting.

To give you some perspective, the same is true of all Buddhist sutras. And most Buddhists know this. Nothing is taken away from the value of those texts by this fact. What matters is what people learn from them.

Or, to quote the Bible, "The truth shall set you free." (John 8:32)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi