A Time for everything

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #303806 by
Replied by on topic A Time for everything
Ive about forgot what we were talking about lol.
I don't think I ever said that time controlled us. In fact we have control over our time. And sure we have a finite amount of that time but even though we don't know how much that is, it doesn't negate that fact that it is finite. Its because we don't know that we plan our future. As for living in the moment that can be a relative term as well because we can become so consumed with worry of the future that we forget to live in the moment and we end up just existing in the moment. In that regard we are very much slaves to time because we can do nothing else but exist in each moment as it is doled out to us.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #303812 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic A Time for everything

SamThift wrote: When you see a bird launch off a branch of a tree, out to find food for its offspring, do you think the bird cares about time? Does the bird consider its life in relation to previous moments and future moments? Is the bird fearful of its impending death, or the perception of limited time waning as it grows in age? Or does the bird just live in that moment and that moment at all?

I imagine the bird experiences a sense of urgency, otherwise it would stay "in the moment" hunting until it was successful, only to return to find its offspring dead due to starvation.

And by the way, that laser focus of "in the moment" the bird experiences, is exactly what we take advantage of to lure it into traps. Our ability to see beyond the moment is an evolutionary advantage, not a hindrance. (though I understand your point about obsessing over time and the ensuing anxiety)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303813 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: Ive about forgot what we were talking about lol.
I don't think I ever said that time controlled us. In fact we have control over our time. And sure we have a finite amount of that time but even though we don't know how much that is, it doesn't negate that fact that it is finite. Its because we don't know that we plan our future. As for living in the moment that can be a relative term as well because we can become so consumed with worry of the future that we forget to live in the moment and we end up just existing in the moment. In that regard we are very much slaves to time because we can do nothing else but exist in each moment as it is doled out to us.

Perhaps I did drift off a bit...for I think we are saying the same thing. I can really only agree with these statements you offer here.

I think, for me at least, I was just trying to point out a notion that time is more of a concept, a measurement, rather than an actual thing. Time is not reality. We have just grown accustomed to acknowledging the passage of moments in time, and that has trained us to expect further moment in similar measured concepts.

I don't like "time". I realize its importance....but I somewhat wish I did not have to adhere to it, or be aware of it, or worry about it at all.

I wonder what our daily lives would be like now had the clock not been introduced.

Maybe I am just letting it control too much of my own self.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303814 by

Manu wrote:

SamThift wrote: When you see a bird launch off a branch of a tree, out to find food for its offspring, do you think the bird cares about time? Does the bird consider its life in relation to previous moments and future moments? Is the bird fearful of its impending death, or the perception of limited time waning as it grows in age? Or does the bird just live in that moment and that moment at all?

I imagine the bird experiences a sense of urgency, otherwise it would stay "in the moment" hunting until it was successful, only to return to find its offspring dead due to starvation.

And by the way, that laser focus of "in the moment" the bird experiences, is exactly what we take advantage of to lure it into traps. Our ability to see beyond the moment is an evolutionary advantage, not a hindrance. (though I understand your point about obsessing over time and the ensuing anxiety)

Perhaps then a good counterbalance, or "opposite", of a time influenced existence, would be one based upon intuition rather than one lived without regard to time? So it is not the actual use of time, or ill-used time, or waste of time, or efficiency of time...but an intuitive and active mindset which would better guide our experiences of life?

Does that make sense? I'm kinda reaching for something here now...and as Kyrin pointed out...I may have derailed the thread a tad from its original question...and I am not entirely sure what that is anyway. But it seems there is something to be understood about our conceptual approach to life in relation to what we acknowledge as time, which could be bettered substantially.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303816 by
Times importance is based in how our society has advanced and evolved. Our ability to recognize patterns has allowed us to organize our experiences. It is useful but as we agree it can become an obsession.

We should never lose the moment, because that is our eternity. We waste our eternity living in our memories or anticipating things that may never happen. That is times curse.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303818 by

JLSpinner wrote: Times importance is based in how our society has advanced and evolved. Our ability to recognize patterns has allowed us to organize our experiences. It is useful but as we agree it can become an obsession.

We should never lose the moment, because that is our eternity. We waste our eternity living in our memories or anticipating things that may never happen. That is times curse.

Agreed.

The notion of us being slaves to time was offered earlier.

So I suppose part of what I am trying to tease out here is whether we could, if we should, or how we might remove this curse without losing out on the advantages our understanding of time provides us?

Can we truly understand and appreciate the eternal moment when we are also constantly aware of the passage of time?

More
6 years 6 months ago #303821 by Carlos.Martinez3
Time CAN be many things to many people. To say time is one thing only can mean a lack of understanding. If we can apply syncretism to this consent , we CAN find more ways to express and enjoy in a sense ... time.
I my self use time in many different ways. Some ways I am strained and teatered to it , but that's my choice to live by those set rules.
A theory I recommend every one to check out is Einstiens Dreams by Alan Lightman, great read and a great example of what can ... be. One example of many.

It's his log of things he notices and connects to .

It is my own opinion and practice to seek out many difrent definitions and ways. Time is one of those subjects , love , happiness , faithfulness , and many more can be the subject of this type of query as well.

In that light you could be there all day searching library's and peoples! Happy seeking .

Ps this book talks of time travelers.
I consider those who live and act with hopes and goals time travelers as well, those who act now what they want then. Kinna cool and it helps to see things in new lights! Hope it helps! Force be with y'all!
... as y'all seek it !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303822 by
One thing I do to lessen the curse is to use alarms. I don't wear my watch anymore or check my phone for the time. I set alarms for when I need to change my focus. This way I can focus on what I am doing and not how long I can do it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303824 by

JLSpinner wrote: One thing I do to lessen the curse is to use alarms. I don't wear my watch anymore or check my phone for the time. I set alarms for when I need to change my focus. This way I can focus on what I am doing and not how long I can do it.

I like that idea.

This may be semi-related...or not...I'll let others decide...but time in relation to what we are doing seems to only apply to the extent we apply it. For example, go for a run. If we set out to run for 30 minutes, how far will we go; whereas, if we set out to run 4 miles, how long will that take us? Which would produce the better results, and can you compare those two runs as equal assessments of your ability to run? Both instances incorporate a measurement of time, but we are applying it differently. So while time is important to the results of each run, the extent to which we assign its importance differs. Which is more important to us, running further than 4 miles in 30 minutes, or running our 4 miles in a faster or slower time at all...and how would the two interact?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #303832 by

SamThift wrote:

JLSpinner wrote: One thing I do to lessen the curse is to use alarms. I don't wear my watch anymore or check my phone for the time. I set alarms for when I need to change my focus. This way I can focus on what I am doing and not how long I can do it.

I like that idea.

This may be semi-related...or not...I'll let others decide...but time in relation to what we are doing seems to only apply to the extent we apply it. For example, go for a run. If we set out to run for 30 minutes, how far will we go; whereas, if we set out to run 4 miles, how long will that take us? Which would produce the better results, and can you compare those two runs as equal assessments of your ability to run? Both instances incorporate a measurement of time, but we are applying it differently. So while time is important to the results of each run, the extent to which we assign its importance differs. Which is more important to us, running further than 4 miles in 30 minutes, or running our 4 miles in a faster or slower time at all...and how would the two interact?

Very good points and the reason spinners scenario really doesn't work well. If we don't take into account both aspects of time how can we pace ourselves or set milestones? If we has short term goals there is no pacing and if we set long-term goals there is no way to mark progress to completing the goal. So we can easily end up either burning ourselves out on a pace we should not maintain or lagging and failing to complete the goal. So in the example of the run we must decide on how far in how much time both as factors in our goal, not just how far or how much time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi