How do others lure you into their fantasies?

More
6 years 5 months ago #303108 by Manu
In taking a look at Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power, Law 32 teaches how to play to people's fantasies:

Law 32: Play to people's fantasies

The truth is often avoided because it is ugly and unpleasant. Never appeal to truth and reality unless you are prepared for the anger that comes from disenchantment. Life is so harsh and distressing that people who can manufacture romance or conjure up fantasy are like oases in the desert: Everyone flocks to them. There is great power in tapping into the fantasies of the masses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfJ37ZsvDrg

Have you ever been a victim to people using this tactic? Do you know?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303110 by
Huh... sounds familiar. I know a guy, down in the States. Great guy, splendid guy, knows all the best words, huge plans. Promised everyone he met he could end some of the biggest problems that "plagued" them on a day to day basis. They promoted him, much like the alchemist, and no he lives in the lap of luxury, playing everyone's fantasies and hoping no one catches on.

Cant think of his name at the moment... I dunno, feels like it has something to do with an angry duck...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303111 by

Arisaig wrote: Huh... sounds familiar. I know a guy, down in the States. Great guy, splendid guy, knows all the best words, huge plans. Promised everyone he met he could end some of the biggest problems that "plagued" them on a day to day basis. They promoted him, much like the alchemist, and no he lives in the lap of luxury, playing everyone's fantasies and hoping no one catches on.

Cant think of his name at the moment... I dunno, feels like it has something to do with an angry duck...

This is not a political thread so stop making it one. stay on topic.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #303112 by

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Arisaig wrote: Huh... sounds familiar. I know a guy, down in the States. Great guy, splendid guy, knows all the best words, huge plans. Promised everyone he met he could end some of the biggest problems that "plagued" them on a day to day basis. They promoted him, much like the alchemist, and no he lives in the lap of luxury, playing everyone's fantasies and hoping no one catches on.

Twas on topic. Topic was asking if we knew anyone like that, whom could "magically solve all the problems without hard work". Seems fitting.

EDIT: note I made no mention of names. If your mind instantly jumps to politics, perhaps there is a reason why? Perhaps whomever you're thinking of has indeed learned to capitalise on imagination?
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by .

More
6 years 5 months ago #303113 by Manu

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: This is not a political thread so stop making it one. stay on topic.

I have no problem with politics. But I would like to keep this to a more personal level (I guess politics is part of that too, though).

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 5 months ago #303114 by Avalon
I consider it personal, because the big man with big words that played to people's imaginations is messing with the things that people I care for need.

But really, "this isn't a political thread"? .... This idea of playing to imagination and fantasies is precisely how politics works in the first place. Without the ability to do so, a good majority of our politicians (not just American, but globally.... where democratic/electoral processes exist) wouldn't be in the position they're in to begin with. So I would say that this process is paramount to politics.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Kit,

More
6 years 5 months ago #303117 by Kit
Not on a large scale, I've been drawn in by the pyramid schemes and desperately crave an easy, magical way to lose weight, but Anxiety has always kept me from committing to them haha. I guess she is helpful once in a while ;) .

But on a personal level, my 'mother' is one who uses fantasy to get what she wants. I don't know how intentional it is, she doesn't do it maliciously I think, and I think she has herself fooled too. It breaks my heart to see so many people fall for it. And when I finally broke contact with her, naturally she knew she wasn't the one at fault. That's why I feel she has herself tied up in her own fantasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303119 by
Well said Kit. Pyramid Schemes are a commonplace method of playing on imagination. "You grow quick, and soon you are your own boss." Sounds great!

Just doesn't actually work, like coal into gold.

More
6 years 5 months ago #303145 by JamesSand

Not on a large scale, I've been drawn in by the pyramid schemes and desperately crave an easy, magical way to lose weight, but Anxiety has always kept me from committing to them haha. I guess she is helpful once in a while

Doubt is a funny thing like that, it protects us, it makes us question things, it can help us curl into a ball and raise our Defence Stat, but those same walls can limit us and prevent us from extending out influence and power.

How much doubt is the right amount to have?

(I don't have anything to contribute to the OP yet)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 5 months ago #303153 by

Arisaig wrote:

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Twas on topic. Topic was asking if we knew anyone like that, whom could "magically solve all the problems without hard work". Seems fitting.

EDIT: note I made no mention of names. If your mind instantly jumps to politics, perhaps there is a reason why? Perhaps whomever you're thinking of has indeed learned to capitalise on imagination?

Uh huh... did the fantasy bubble break for you when reality set in? Obviously not cuz your version of the fantasy comes from a different source.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi