England Crown court jury duty

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 7 months ago #299745 by ren
I've received the legal threats, and will have to join a group of opinionated people who will want to get on with it quickly as opposed to thoroughly because of the holiday to potentially ruin a life. Has anyone here done it? What can I expect?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #299749 by Carlos.Martinez3
In America , Every time I'm sent for jury duty I answer honestly all the questions I'm asked and I have YET to get selected. . . Good luck on yours new minni adventure . How does it happen with a monarchy? Out of curiosity ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

More
6 years 7 months ago #299750 by Tellahane
Tell them your a real life jedi, they will probably not take you seriously and send you home...at least in america... not familiar with the England system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, ren

More
6 years 7 months ago #299751 by thomaswfaulkner
Geesh, I looked up some of your exemptions to serve and it doesn't look to promising. Did you already have a hotel or vacation booked before, or will your employer not let you off to serve? I a l mean, if not that, then unless you can have surgery performed on you during that time, you're stuck lol.

Definitely keep me updated on how this goes for you

Right View ~ Right Intention ~ Right Speech ~ Right Action ~ Right Livelihood ~ Right Effort ~ Right Mindfulness ~ Right Concentration

Knight of the Order
Ordained Clergy Person
Teaching Master: Senan
IP Journal l AP Journal l Seminary Journal l Personal Ministry Statement

If you need to talk, we are here to listen.
Contact the Clergy

May all beings be happy and free and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute
in some way to the happiness and freedom for all.

More
6 years 7 months ago #299759 by JamesSand
Whenever I get a letter from the government I just write "Not at this address" on the envelope and send it back...

:dry:

(I'm exempt anyway, but I still get summonses, apparently the machine that prints 'em doesn't check :P )

Judge Turpin: Was he guilty?
Beadle Bamford: Well, if he didn't do it, he's surely done something to warrant a hanging.
Judge Turpin: What man has not?

(I would have gone for my usual vignette, but it seems Sweeney Todd scenes don't cut it for Youtube, given the range of other court related options on offer.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #299760 by
Replied by on topic England Crown court jury duty

JamesSand wrote: Whenever I get a letter from the government I just write "Not at this address" on the letter and send it back.

That only works until they knock on your door. Then you have to go... No habla de engleesh!
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by .

More
6 years 7 months ago #299762 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic England Crown court jury duty
I got selected here in the US for a murder trial in a non death penalty state. Ren you're a pretty smart and logical dude so be ready to put up with people making assumptions about a life style they have no understanding of and just approach it as if you know nothing of the law besides what they are saying.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

• ren
  • Topic Author
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 7 months ago #299790 by ren
Replied by ren on topic England Crown court jury duty
Here we are forced to register for voting, which helps them force us to turn up for jury duty...

I don't really mind, juries serve their purpose and the system is the way it is to keep juries fair I guess.

What i DO mind is the shitty compensation they offer, a day's does not cover chilcare costs, and certainly not loss of earnings!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #299806 by
Replied by on topic England Crown court jury duty
I imagine it's like here (since our system is based on yours) in that even if you're called up for jury duty you may not be selected to be one of the 12. Perhaps write back that you believe you can save them the time and expense of a trial by rendering a guilty verdict via return mail because after all if the police charged them they must have done it.

My wife has been called up a number of times and simply writes back that she should be exempt because of her status as my spouse and each time she has been told 'ah thanks but we won't require you'.
I should note that that works because I'm exempt due to being a LEO (as if that somehow means I can't be impartial and that my taint is transferable to those that associate with me),

In all seriousness though, as much as it sucks that the recompense is so manifestly inadequate, it is a pillar of our justice system designed to provide fairness should any of us face a trial and it is somewhat concerning the lengths some go to to avoid it. That's probably why we have adages like "remember when you are on trial you are putting your life in the hands of twelve people who are too incompetent to get out of jury duty". (Not directed at you ren, just a common adage in my field.)

All the best whichever scenario plays out.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi