Constant surprise discontent in forums

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297234 by OB1Shinobi
In time, the more abrasive of us eventually learn to moderate our aggression/hostility, and the more fragile of us eventually learn better ways of coping with pressure.
Thats growth.

I agree with the suggestion of citing specific examples. I believe in calling people out directly and asking "why did yoo say that? What do you mean by that?" ect. Maybe theyre onto something about us that we should address, or maybe its a chance for them to explore why they have the desire to act this way towards others.

If people are bullying you, then some difficult but important lessons that you have to learn are how to take criticism, how to keep your self respect when others are giving you flak, and maybe even how to stand up for yourself in a mature way.

Also, theres different kinds of negativity: if youre happy and serene but my dog just ran over my grandma, then im probably not going to post something you enjoy reading. That doesnt mean i was wrong to have posted it.

Fyi OP was not wrong to start this topic either, so please dont think thats what im saying.

People are complicated.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297236 by Zenchi

Senan wrote: There is no "voting anyone out", as has been pointed out numerous times. Saying so merely adds to the discontent

Not necessarily. it means they disagree with you, sure. We did vote someone out, her name was Mortose. We came very close to "voting" Hannagan out as well, permanently. Call it what you wish, but voting was the method for determining whether she stayed or was banned...

This is not a democracy and constantly calling for people's heads is counter-productive. Set the positive example. Be the change you want to see. Be Jedi. Otherwise, you're no better than the people you want out.

Let's try unity and cooperation for a while. Who knows? It might actually work!

I merely wish individuals within positions of leadership (and everyone else here) be held accountable, be honest and learn from their mistakes...

Not everyone who disagrees is "sowing seeds"...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

More
6 years 8 months ago #297237 by steamboat28
This is not the thread to discuss this in. Please start a new one so this one can stay on topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297244 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: I agree with the suggestion of citing specific examples. I believe in calling people out directly and asking "why did yoo say that? What do you mean by that?" ect. Maybe theyre onto something about us that we should address, or maybe its a chance for them to explore why they have the desire to act this way towards others.

I am a person who does go to individuals that I feel I need to have clarity with, or even just tell or ask a thing. But I choose not to do it in public places. Of something that needs to be publicly known comes off a private topic, I'll deal with that then. Remember, we only ever see the tip of the iceberg.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 8 months ago #297266 by

Senan wrote: Set the positive example. Be the change you want to see. Be Jedi. Otherwise, you're no better than the people you want out.

Let's try unity and cooperation for a while. Who knows? It might actually work!

This. So much this that I wanted to say thank you twice.

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #297268 by Reacher
I don't have any answers here, but I am mulling over a few things:

We seem to have an interesting duality going on. When it comes to addressing some of the negativity around the Temple, there seems to be some differing opinions on ways to do it.

Some feel Public is more appropriate, others feel Private. When things go Public, usually they stay more General. When Private, they tend to become more Specific. I don't use this as a RULE, per se...but a generally accurate description. There are anomalies out there, sure. Whether Public/General or Private/Specific, everyone is trying to address things in the best way they know how. I suppose each has some strengths and weaknesses, and it falls to our individual and collective judgments on how to navigate these waters. In both cases, damaging and unhelpful gossip can rear its head, creating a more bitter, negative atmosphere - despite every best intention.

Private and specific courses of action risk being called secretive and non-transparent, especially when they spill over into some of the public forums in an indirect way.

Public and generalized methods risk being so non-specific as to not really help much of anything, or specific just enough to create intrigue and further the rumor mill.

Each has their strengths as well, but there is something else I would like you to consider: We only ever hear about our communal shortcomings. So many do such a wonderful jobs interacting and defusing trouble spots, and you will never hear about them because they were successful. Only our failures get dragged out into the light of examination, and it's rarely pretty :)

That is an encouraging thought - Success is quiet, failure is loud. In a sense, it is really quite in keeping with the Jedi Way to continually address places where we can do better. Dwelling on success doesn't really move the ball down the court any further, does it? We have, and will always have an imperfect organization - and we should continue to keep that in mind about ourselves and our home here. Our process for dealing with imperfection isn't perfect, either :)

And that is okay - as long as we keep trying. The love and support we show one another will carry us through it all.

I am reminded of a story Fred Rogers tells:

“My mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers — so many caring people in this world.”

Keep an eye out :)

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Reacher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Ben, Lykeios Little Raven, Zenchi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi