Jediism and veganism?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297264 by
Replied by on topic Jediism and veganism?
I'm sorry, I thought we discussed ideas not people.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #297265 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jediism and veganism?
What I'm getting at here is that you can eat however you'd like, but you're using this thread to preach why everyone should be vegan, backed by some conspiracy-theory-level nonsense and a sharp disinterest in scientific facts. That's the frustrating part. You're speaking as though your way is the only way, and it clearly isn't (as evidenced by the sources I provided, for a start). In doing so, not only are you frustrating people, but you're insulting them as well because they don't conform to your worldview. You're implying a higher knowledge than you actually posses, and so far your only two sources about this vast meat-brainwashing conspiracy have been YouTube videos. That's not enough to convince anyone.

I didn't purposefully skew your words; veganism is hard on the environment and it isn't cruelty free. It exploits workers, kills animals, mows down forests, and disrespects the balance of nature, all while shaming everyone who doesn't conform to their standard and speaking from a place of social and financial privilege. That's why I keep posting in this thread.

You can be as vegan as you want, and we'll all be happy for you. But don't come here to judge other peoples' lifestyles when you don't see the impact of your own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Cyan Sarden, Tellahane

More
6 years 7 months ago #297274 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Jediism and veganism?
Follow your bliss ;) eat what you want.

Both systems are flawed, both systems cause suffering, both systems destroy environments and both systems pollute the planet.

Whilst on the topic of Veganism, if you haven't watched the mockumentary 'Carnage' by Sim Amstell, then I highly recommend it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04sh6zg/simon-amstell-carnage

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
6 years 7 months ago #297276 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jediism and veganism?
It seems to be that, being that the critters we are closest to having any true understanding of their feelings and experiences, the only food we have any clear right to consume would be humans?

Apparently if we start now, that gives us about two and a half years or so....

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
6 years 7 months ago #297284 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Jediism and veganism?

JamesSand wrote: It seems to be that, being that the critters we are closest to having any true understanding of their feelings and experiences, the only food we have any clear right to consume would be humans?

Australians :laugh:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297314 by
My question would be how do we actually know plants don't feel pain. There are many who think animals don't feel emotions or have thoughts, yet they seem to. Plants can't communicate with us, animals can, so maybe plants go through excruciating pain when they are ripped from the ground or cut from their vine.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #297347 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jediism and veganism?
AFAIK plant's don't seem to have a central nervous system. And not having that node of information centrality means the concept of 'know' is going to be different to how we humans experience it, probably.
While other animals, and even insects are a lot more like us in design and function, so there is a much greater chance their experience will be closer to ours.

But plants do respond to lots of different types of stimulus like gravity, sunlight, physical contact, damage and obviously nutrient gradients, but I think they are more like biological equivalents to what we' call a machine. Reactions propagate from the source of the stimulus by the presence of the stimulus, rather then distant stimulus being processed by a central node which then propagates reactions, or not. I think without that central node to process various inputs it is much less likely that there is anything inside a plant to construct a concept of experience enough to populate it with types of experiences such as pain.

One of the biggest problems with the meat industry is not only is there the footprint for raising, caring, transporting and preparing animal meat, but there is also the associated animal feed industry, which is a whole other (probably vegetarian) food chain just to produce the food for animals that we want to eat!!

I think I read the most inefficient and environmentally source of land based protein is red meat, and the best was chicken. I'm not sure how seafood would compare. Another problem with red meat of course is that it seems to be related to a worrying increase in bowel cancer, and of course the heart disease. I think its not bad for us in the correct quantity, but that people are just eating way way too much of it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297585 by
I didn't come here to judge your opinions. I love you all, and don't hold it against you that you are not vegan. I probably made a mistake by stating my opinion, I should have remained neutral. After all, it is the Force that will ultimately decide whether people convert to veganism or not. I just thought that Jedi might have a more open mindset to it because veganism has a lot to do with defending the weak and innocent. A good movie to watch might be Noah.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297591 by
I think it does fit very well into the Jedi philosophy, yes, given its origins with Buddhism and the like (if I'm not mistaken, vegetarianism is common with several Buddhists). I think the Jedi of Star Wars are also generally vegetarian, as well.

Still... as people have said, the circle of life itself allows for meat-eating. Humans are omnivores by nature. What's important is probably to give acknowledgement to the life taken for any meal, be it plant or animal.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #297592 by
For me, your stating your opinion is fine and good and encouraged. Sometimes in this thread I felt as if you were trying to convince me though, and your language seemed passionate without some of the temperance of tact.

I think there are a lot of open minds here. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion, regardless of how obvious it might seem to you, doesn't mean their mind is closed.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi