Public
6 years 10 months ago #288493 by
Day 4 done :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288544 by
I'm sorry... I really don't mean to be a bitch about this... but what does this really do for anyone other than the ones doing it so they can feel better about themselves because they can justify the fact that they feel they have " done their part" for the American fighting force that sacrificed everything for the freedoms we enjoy? To think such useless acts are really making any difference in this world seems insane to me. How is doing pushups in the safety of your own home making any difference? Nice gesture but ultimately meaningless. One of the ultimate failings of this temple it seems. How about volunteering at a va hospital or better yet supporting legislation to get better benefits for service men and women who have sacrificed everything for the freedoms we enjoy today or actually publicizing what you are doing and getting of making donations to a cause supporting this?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #288552 by
[strike]I am sorry Kyrin but[/strike] Being a bitch about this is exactly what you are because as with all of these challenges , the only thing we can do is direct other people's attention to a worthy cause and hope they give money so they can help veterans , now i for one am a bit dissapointed that not more Jedi here are participating in these challenges because i would assume they would want focus on helping others , so , if you dont like what we are doing here , scroll on ....or do something usefull with your time. There must be loads of people in your community you can offer assistence to, or even just give some attention?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by . Reason: i am not sorry

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288554 by
Day 5 done

More
6 years 10 months ago #288586 by Kobos
Days 1-4 done.

Kyrin, perhaps you're right perhaps you are not. However, if it is truly a pointless gesture than it would seem important to me to recommend an idea to the contrary instead of criticizing. Based on your language of your post I am assuming you are ex-military? For the record I am not, I have many friends who are. I can tell you the stories of friends I have had many stay with me in different places I have lived as they transitioned back to civilian life after either returning from combat zones or coming home wounded. I am more than happy when I give my time to the VA (when my father goes in for appointments I tend to go sit with some vets and just talk, Rags of Honor/Wounded Warrior, or even just buying a service member meal when I see them in a restaurant. I would love to have this be set up like a drive or mile walk with pledges of money to go somewhere once we complete it based on how many days we do; but that may not be a possibility. So, does this leave us with a little warm and fuzzy feeling?
Sure does, does it go far enough? No, but can we ever actually go far enough? So, should we just not do this? I think its a proper gesture and maybe once enough of us do it we could take it outside make it an event say at conventions ect. TOTJO Push Ups for Wounded Vets Challenge and make it a public announcement ect, but until we have the infrastructure on a broad number of our own populace how can we spread it to others? Just food for thought, for now this will have to suffice and for the record more than just US servicemen have been returning home from the sandbox disfigured and injured.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack.Troutman

More
6 years 10 months ago #288590 by MadHatter

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote: I'm sorry... I really don't mean to be a bitch about this... but what does this really do for anyone other than the ones doing it so they can feel better about themselves because they can justify the fact that they feel they have " done their part" for the American fighting force that sacrificed everything for the freedoms we enjoy? To think such useless acts are really making any difference in this world seems insane to me. How is doing pushups in the safety of your own home making any difference? Nice gesture but ultimately meaningless. One of the ultimate failings of this temple it seems. How about volunteering at a va hospital or better yet supporting legislation to get better benefits for service men and women who have sacrificed everything for the freedoms we enjoy today or actually publicizing what you are doing and getting of making donations to a cause supporting this?

Ok, I am a veteran myself and anything that raises awareness of those that are lost each day is not useless. Further, it is said that it takes around 21 days to develop a habit. That means that this exercise is developing a habit that can encourage people to go and do something to support veterans far from useless in my eyes. Finally, I see a lot of people complain that there is a "problem" with this Temple that we dont do anything in the real world. Well, how would you know? Do you know that I keep a homeless bag with supplies for each season in my trunk? Do you know that I regularly support veteran-run businesses to keep veterans employed? Do you know that I donate to charities at least twice a year? No? Why? Because I see no need to mention it with regularity. I post it now because plenty of us do things off site that we do not need to post here for it to be a result of our training here.

Oh and Im caught up on my days I just dont feel the need to post daily.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack.Troutman, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288597 by
Day 5 Fini.
This challenge is personal for me. I'm not doing it to make myself feel better. I'm not doing it for myself at all. I'm doing it for those we've lost to suicide and who are fighting the moment to moment battle against suicide. I'm doing it to bring suicide awareness to those around me. I'm doing it for the organizations that are fighting the ongoing battle to save struggling souls from suicide. I'm doing it knowing that the organizations will be able to help far more vets than I would ever be able to help on my own. I am donating not only money but body, mind, and spirit to the cause because I whole heartedly believe that suicide, as merciless and as massive a killer as it is, is preventable. 22 pushups a day and a $22 donation may seem like a little thing but we have to remember, in the end it's all the little things that make the big things happen.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #288599 by
Im sorry, yes i think i went a bit overboard in my comments. I am a veteran as well and this sort of awareness has been a pet peeve of mine and I unfairly took it out on this thread. Please consider this article in lue of my original comments. It does a much better job of describing the issue I have with this.

https://www.google.com/amp/taskandpurpose.com/pushups-dont-solve-veteran-suicide-crisis/amp/

More
6 years 10 months ago #288606 by JamesSand
Right, so!

Well done all! For one, everyone loves triceps. So, keep on pushing up! Get swole!

Secondly let's run with Kyrin's inspiring suggestion and maybe give a little time or cash to help folks! - I'm probably stating the obvious because I believe both of these are well advertised, but in case any aussies missed them - Here's some Australian organisations that deal with Depression (and related issues)

The first one is a bit generic

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

I have no idea how much help they are, but they're always asking for money! So give them money?

The second one is Veteran Specific -

http://www.vvcs.gov.au/

I believe they get all their dollarydoos from the Government (uhh, tax payer) but they help Aussie Veterans and families of veterans - so if that's you, give 'em a call?

I imagine there are similar enough organisations in all y'all own countries!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack.Troutman,

More
6 years 10 months ago #288612 by Kobos
Kyrin, thank you that article was an interesting read and is very very valid. I do very much understand your frustration here and I am sorry for pulling out a defensive kinda d#ck comment. As the article suggested and as I stated this would be much more effective as a pledge drive. I also agree that we can do more by acting not just on this type of activity, like you suggested with visiting the VA, donations to qualified charities. I will note though that some don't have the ability to put in much either financially or time. I am lucky enough to have time and a father who served and goes to the VA as his Dr. so I get sometime to at least talk to some of those guys and gals (sometimes that's all I can offer.) I did have a lot of friends come back while I was in college, we were all in high school at the start of the 2 current wars and a lot of my friends went. A few didn't come back and one did but it wasn't him anymore. I happened to have a house in a decent rural town with jobs so when they got back if their family life wasn't to hot, my doors were open and they could stay as long as they wanted (that's what I could do as a student). When I was in AZ I befriended a lot of older veterans either through hiking or shooting with them it gave me an interesting perspective. I guess I just listed that to say that we all should try to give the max we can, however, some can't give as much as others and at least the sign of solidarity is something. I thank you for the link to the article. I deeply respect you and appreciate with the utmost respect your service, that is something I cant relate too cause I didn't do it.

In peace,
Tim

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack.Troutman,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi