Eating meat.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281197 by
Replied by on topic Eating meat.
Mufasa:
Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance. As king, you need to understand that balance and respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope.

Young Simba:
But dad, don't we eat the antelope?

Mufasa:
Yes, Simba, but let me explain. When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great Circle of Life.

This sums up my philosophy on eating meat fairly neatly. Like previous responses I make an effort to select meat ethically, such as choosing 'free-range', in an effort to respect the creature's right to life before it ends up on my plate. I also choose a wide range of cuts (no sense butchering a whole cow for just one rib-eye, make the most of what is provided).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281198 by
I love meat. Meat and animal products make up at least half of my diet. Nature built me to have a taste for meat. Can't argue with nature. Not successfully​ anyway. And, you know...Bacon.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281208 by
Like everyone else who's responded so far, I include meat in my diet ... though for me, it is not done without a tinge of regret.

A long time ago, I spent a year as a vegetarian. It was in the middle of a period where some very helpful experiences that greatly expanded my spiritual perceptions were occurring, and I do think adhering to a vegetarian diet supported the process. But at the end of that year, I encountered some significant emotional stress in my life; and while I wasn't diagnosed yet at the time, I have borderline anemia, the symptoms of which were becoming obvious even though I didn't explicitly know their cause. I found that adding meat back to my diet helped give me strength, and so back it went.

I eat far less meat than was typical in my family of origin, however. There is of course the ethical argument regarding the suffering that meat-eating causes to animals. But even more important, I believe, is the impact that consuming meat - especially beef - has on climate change. Beef production spews methane - a very potent greenhouse gas - into the atmosphere. Additionally, since much beef is grown in what was once part of the Amazon rainforest, the loss of trees that were clearcut to make room for cattle ranges has diminished the ability of the plant kingdom to convert carbon dioxide - another greenhouse gas - into oxygen. By some estimates the global consumption of beef causes about as much harm to the environment as global consumption of fossil fuels.

I admire and honor those who have the discipline, physiology, and time to prepare and eat a vegetarian diet. Not all of us can, but even the rest of us owe it to the planet and future generations to minimize how much we consume.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281225 by

Omhu Cuspor wrote: Like everyone else who's responded so far, I include meat in my diet ...

Not everyone.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281226 by
After seeing some of the answers I also thought of this! :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281293 by
Sorry tzb. I must have overlooked a response or two being in too much of a hurry ... my apologies.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281428 by

Obi-Wan4ever wrote: I eat meat. Meat of all varieties that I find available. I eat it because it is tasty, but more so because I feel that as steel sharpens steel so too does the consumption of meat produce meat on my bones during training.

Also I was raised up eating the proverbial steak and potatoes as the evening meal.

i agree obiwan4, i find that eating meat (in my case, enjoying chicken and seafood in addition to red meat) keeps me healthier and more energetic than in spans of time where i don't have meat in a meal.

Also, the the best of my understanding, it is more or less biologically proven that humans have to have a decent chunk of meat in their diet. Humans have canines and incisor teeth in addition to molars and other 'herbivore' dentics, 90 percent of vegetarians are eventually forced to return to having meat in their diet, and even on a cellular and chemical level, it is apparently proven that no form of plant protein, can replace animal proteins (despite what sorts of things vegan literature may profess).

While i would not disrespect someone who chooses to (try to be) vegan or vegetarian, i would worry about their health, and would be inclined to try to guesstimate how long it is before they themselves realize that they need meat. It's kinda like the feeling of watching someone try a really outrageous stunt; you won't stop respecting him for doing it (in fact you may admire him even more for the attempt), but there's also a predictive 'om, yeah, i told you so' element, and so you're not at all surprised that he landed quite squarely on his face and/or crotch, and you're now rather good-naturedly obligated to help him to the hospital/ ambulance.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281431 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Eating meat.
You wouldn't need meat if you can get the same stuff from other sources? That might require a bit too much focus on health then most people are interested in I guess, as I'd say it's just the body gets a lot of long burning energy from it which distracts people from perhaps more pressing issues on why they are exhausted all the time. But lets be honest, its about taste firstly, and energy secondly for most people - and short of illhealth that is about the extent of health management of most people.

So until we can grow meat in a lab affordably, an ideal might only to eat very old, ie end of life animals, but again it comes down to availability.... as populations worldwide go through the roof if everyone stuffs themselves to excess it's going take a toll. As always it seems to be everyone for themselves done to the last person standing. But wondering about survival at what cost wouldn't hurt.

Does taste great though. Mix fat with sugar and your body will do loops.... thinks red braised pork, Chairman Mao's favorite dish :D

Teeth are probably evolutionary artificats from meat eaters living a more productive life during those less developed eras when physical exertion had a higher value, then any attribute of grand design.

Also, reminds me I also do not eat lamb - the thought of killing a creature in its youth to increase it flavour.... sounds almost like that practise of torturing an animal before slaughter so its meat is softer. I hope those advanced aliens don't judge us on how we treat the 'lower' animals on our own planet..... so yea I like to be led by my ideals and shape change to meet them, then the other way around.

But health should always be a priority, its just I don't think most meat consumption is done for actual health. I do eat a lot of chicken though......

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Adder.

More
6 years 11 months ago #281494 by Figment
Replied by Figment on topic Eating meat.

Rebekka wrote: Also, the the best of my understanding, it is more or less biologically proven that humans have to have a decent chunk of meat in their diet. Humans have canines and incisor teeth in addition to molars and other 'herbivore' dentics, 90 percent of vegetarians are eventually forced to return to having meat in their diet, and even on a cellular and chemical level, it is apparently proven that no form of plant protein, can replace animal proteins (despite what sorts of things vegan literature may profess).

I am not sure where you got the statistic that 90% of vegetarians are forced to return to eating meat. Personally I have been a vegetarian/vegan for over 20 years and know many people who also follow a plant based diet, that percentage is way off. If I had to give a percentage it is closer to 25% and that is among those who are on the cheese pizza, mac n' cheese, and bread vegetarian diets. lol.

Rebekka wrote: While i would not disrespect someone who chooses to (try to be) vegan or vegetarian, i would worry about their health, and would be inclined to try to guesstimate how long it is before they themselves realize that they need meat.

You are assuming much here. In my 20 plus years, not once have I had any nutrition problems. My yearly check ups from my doctor come back completely healthy. I also live an active lifestyle, am athletic, and have a physical job. That being said, I do not think that everyone is up to living a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. It does take work, research, time, and effort, which many don't want to or don't have the time to do.

On a side note. Much of the country of India, those who are Hindu and Buddhist, do not consume meat at all. Most Buddhist do not eat meat as well all over the world. I would venture to say that many of them out live most Americans. They will probably out live me no matter what I eat though. :)

As I said before. No matter what you diet is, just be aware of what you are eating and how if effects no only you but your surroundings. Being happy as well as healthy is important.

More
6 years 11 months ago #281499 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Eating meat.
This is probably going to sound odd to some people. I believe that eating meat is vitally important to the individual’s spiritual wellbeing. :ohmy:

Let me explain…
Consuming anything makes us a part of the circle of life rather it be meat, plant, fungus, nut, seed, etc. And I believe that all life is sacred. Sacred does not keep anything out of the circle of life though. Even we will become food for something else. We are currently food for other life forms and are being snacked on daily. Understanding ones place in the circle of life is important to the experience of life being that we are a species of higher consciousness. At some point in every person’s life, I feel they should gather seeds and grow their own foods. Become personally familiar with the life cycle. Gather from nature. Observe animals in their environment and then hunt, harvest and consume that animal. Gain a deeper appreciation for the sacrifice that is made by other life forms for us to continue.

I also recognize that some people feel eating meat is barbaric or wrong or cruel… the list goes on and on. And that is there choice. I will not condemn or look down on them for that decision. But I do feel they are depriving themselves from an important part of not only the human experience but being a part of nature. By removing themselves they willingly reject their place in nature and the circle of life. This in turn can’t give a complete understanding of the entire process. But it is their choice and I acknowledge that.

I also feel that eating only things bought at a supermarket or from the window at McDonalds actually cheapens the individual’s connection to nature and the life cycle as we were meant to experience it. They gain no more spiritual connection than a computer gets from being plugged into the wall outlet.

But hey, that’s just my thoughts on the whole thing. :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi