Forum App?

More
7 years 1 month ago #277414 by J_Roz
Forum App? was created by J_Roz
Hi Everyone,

This is just a curiosity more than anything. With the old site I used to be able to use TapaTalk to login to the site and read the forum during the day. The new site for me is incredibly unfriendly to use via mobile, so I'd like to get back to using some kind of app so I can hang out with all the cool Jedi's. :woohoo: Since the switch Tapatalk has not worked for me.

Any suggestions on a Forum monitor app? Perhaps I'm not doing something right with Tapatalk?

Thanks!

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277418 by
Replied by on topic Forum App?
I do agree, it would be nice to have the forums up when your on the go.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277419 by
This new layout works fine on my phone......

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #277421 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Forum App?
I personally sometimes have issues, and sometimes don't have issues, which I've already told someone about. As long as chat is minimized down, I can see everything at least, but more often than not I'm having to toss it onto desktop version because the links just won't.... link, like it's not reading I'm trying to open that page, even though it is because the link will change color like I clicked it and... *shrugs* Point is, it's not perfect and each user has their own experience, but that was the exact same case with the old version (which I personally had no problem with.)

I know there's been a ton of call for a TOTJO app in the past and my understanding of that has been due to the admin level necessary to make it work, tie in back to servers, etc etc etc, and overall cost, that's not likely to happen.

As for Tapatalk specifically, I feel like I remember reading somewhere that this current version of whatever the backbone is we now have isn't Tapatalk compatible? Someone else will have to address that. But no, Roz, you're not doing anything wrong with Tapatalk because there is some sort of back issue with it, as far as I'm aware.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick

More
7 years 1 month ago #277422 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Forum App?
I use my phone here mostly and haven't had any issues :)

Everything is belief

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277423 by
This version of the site is horrible on my phone, much preferred the old "mobile unfriendly" regular site. All it required was a bit of zooming in and out...

...but I wouldn't be interested in installing an app to browse the forum, just on principle. Surely in 2017 we know enough about responsive site design to make installing an interpreter to make a site functional and usable an anachronism...?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #277437 by
the year of our modern ways does not = easy.

I've been working with the same platforms over at Just Jedi and its alot more work than a simple click and install.

A better option would be to find a different forum platform all together. Which costs money. Gotta pay to have nice things ;)

More
7 years 1 month ago #277439 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Forum App?
This site template is meant to work on phones, tablets, or desktops seamlessly. It's supposed to eliminate the need for any special app. The site and the forum passes the Google mobile friendly test. Yet some people are having issues and some are not.

I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus and a Nexus 6P. It works fine on both of them. I have the latest versions of iOS and Android. I use Chrome on both phones.

If those having problems would please post their phone model, system version, and browser that might help in figuring out what's going wrong.

Founder of The Order

More
7 years 1 month ago #277441 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Forum App?

Br. John wrote: If those having problems would please post their phone model, system version, and browser that might help in figuring out what's going wrong.

I'm on a Galaxy s7, Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), and also use Chrome when on my phone. And like I said, for me it's not a matter of non-responsive display (it displays very much the way it would if it were an app, I'm sure). It's a matter of probably 75% of the time, it doesn't read me trying to open a link, no matter how many times I try or refresh the page. Nor is it a matter of it not having an internet connection, because it doesn't even try to load the page. But when I switch to "desktop version" it opens all links, all the time, just fine.

It's always the same threads that either work or don't work, meaning regardless of if I get the thread to open under desktop version, it won't ever open unless under desktop version. For example, most recently I couldn't open one of the deacon announcements (I can't remember which) without switch to desktop version, and even though I've looked at it once now, it still won't open unless I switch views.

To pre-empt, yes all the cookies and cache and every single other stereotypcial troubleshooter techniques have been conducted. It just doesn't read as being requested to open.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

More
7 years 1 month ago #277443 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Forum App?
Thank you. That's valuable information. The more specifics posted the better the chances of figuring out what's going wrong.

Founder of The Order

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi