What would you do, Babies with Anencephaly...

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276887 by Zenchi
This was a subject within the supplemental lessons within my apprenticeship, and to be entirely honest before the time came for myself to complete this lesson, I had not given it much thought. I took an entire month to think about it, not wanting to rush the answer given, and came to the conclusion that if I were in a relationship and were to find out my significant other were carrying a baby afflicted with this deformity, I'd like to think we'd make the choice to carry. She perhaps would disagree, and it would be her body so the choice ultimately would not be mine to make.

I don't want this couple to be the source of this discussion, but it is a good example Imo as to what couples face when confronted with the issue. So the question is simple, the answer however is anything but; what would you do and why? A note, this should not be used to judge the decisions of another, but merely a look into both sides of a discussion, thank you. The link provided below tells the couples story...

To read this story, you'll need to cut n paste, AND remove the S from the http before hitting search...

https://www.viralthread.com/mother-decides-to-carry-baby-without-brain-to-term-so-she-can-donate-her-organs/?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=vt

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Zenchi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276924 by JamesSand
Not what I was imagining when I read "anaphylactic", but I suppose the decision process is similiar even if the condition is different.

I know what I'd do, but that's not really here or there - my thoughts are (and I know you said don't make it about *this* couple, but it could just as easily be about anyone)

Eva will never know or care about her condition, or what happens do her meaty parts (no date on the article, so beats me if I'm talking future or past here) - so the "choice" to donate her organs is really her parents, and it's hard to say, but I'm not entirely sure if the decision is being made because they genuinely believe that it's the right and proper thing to do or they just really want some part of their baby to live on and it gives them some solace (note her being upset that the heart couldn't be transplanted whole)

I wonder if the parents themselves are registered donors in the event of their untimely demise.

This one is both more and less interesting because one way or another, the life of the child is a foregone conclusion.

When it's a case of "quality of life" due to other conditions the debate rages a little more heavily
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 2 months ago #276939 by ren
Cant read the article, but based on what the url says, it isn't anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is allergic reactions, a friend of mine is anaphylactic, the deformities are temporary. Lack of brain is anencephaly and "carrying" is not something i'd do. I would easily call someone who knowingly produces and forcibly maintains such a being alive, a monster. One can only go so far against nature.

. I can understand parents who don't want to let go; they are not just emotionally compromised, they also face instinctive conflicts. Dont put yourself in that situation and abort if it is an option, more lives saved this way, and if that's not a valid reason to do it then I don't know what is.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #276945 by
Ren is right, the link does not work and why would anyone have a conflict over a baby with allergies?

More
7 years 2 months ago #276948 by Adder
The link just needs its s removed from https, which I think this site adds automatically. I tried edit'ing it to http but it sticks it back in there.

I'd carry initially to give it every chance, but assess regularly to ensure no signs of suffering. The idea, about donation, is very interesting.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

More
7 years 2 months ago #276954 by Zenchi
I explained in clear instructions how to make the link work....
The title has been edited, thank you...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
7 years 2 months ago #276956 by Kohadre
That's a rough situation.

Either way, the child is already dead.

Is it worth carrying an already dead child several more months and giving birth to it, only to have it pieced apart and donated for research?

That option seems incredibly dark, morbid, deranged, and almost evil. It's like something out of a horror movie or a novel from a deeply disturbed writer.

So long and thanks for all the fish

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276957 by Br. John
Well Shut My Mouth! I cannot get this to post without the 's' even when I use the code tag.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Br. John.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #276958 by Leah Starspectre
I've never been pregnant, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about carrying a terminal fetus to term (some women love pregnancy, and some have a rough time - not sure which one I'd be). But hypothetically, let's say I had previous good pregnancies.

I would 100% do what this couple did, given the choice to do so. I feel like the tragedy of losing a baby would be somewhat softened by the knowledge that other babies would live and thrive as a result. Compassion softening pain. Happiness in the wake of sorrow....
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Leah Starspectre.

More
7 years 2 months ago #276959 by Br. John
The condition is Anencephaly - "a serious birth defect in which a baby is born without parts of the brain and skull".

Founder of The Order

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi