The balance between stability and movement

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #276702 by Carlos.Martinez3
@ Drifa call me Ishmael if you like . Literary joke! Welcome to the Temple . The goal here is never to tell Any one what to do , not my cup of tea anyway. IF by some "FORCE" we share we can both learn from each other I am in it place my hat in that name !
As iron sharpens iron is my hope here. I walk with and next to Giants in my eyes here some days . Seek and you WILL find friend. My inbox is always open!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #276773 by Cyan Sarden
I can very much relate to Drifa - and I think it's only natural for the human spirit to seek adventure and to explore. If we look at our kids, that's all they really do, all day long (and sometimes all night as well :-) - over time, various factors can diminish this sense of wonder. Disillusionment, financial constraints, a restrictive environment (often cited as the prime reason why kids lose their interest in their own learning process), health issues, you name it. But there are also normal physiological processes that curb the urge to move - as one gets older and has kids, an urge for stability may overwhelm the sense of wonder. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing - and also not a permanent one. I admire how my parents (who are in their late 60s) use every oportunity to travel and to explore the world after having spent 40 years raising kids and making sure they're ok financially.

In any case, for a path that values experience over the overly rational (something I consider true for the Jediist belief system), re-developing and / or cultivating one's natural sense of wonder are very basic requirements. This can be achieved in a variety of ways, however. Not everyone has the means or the physical ability to travel, for example. The new and extraordinary can be found in every moment of our lives - we just need to learn where and how to look. Developing this ability should be at the center of everyone's practice - be it through formal mindfulness meditation, studying or personal exchange - the true wonders of the world can only be experienced when we're interested in actually seeing them!

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Cyan Sarden.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 month ago #276791 by
Sure id love to travel in such a way as to see certian places for a weekend.....you know. A vacation? I have always wanted to go to scottland/Ireland and see the Stone henges and Castles. To Baden Switzerland place of family ancestry. Japan to climb the Inari Shrine....

But I mean....I am not discontent at the fact that I will likely never ever be able to afford such "Vacations"

I am quite happy to be settled down and the only urge I have for change is to get out of a house thats fallling apart faster than we can fix....And into a farm home with land where I can settle down even more.

So....hard for me to relate to the need to travel.

On the other hand, my husband is incapable of sitting still. And he gets all kinds of firey if he is forced to do so for very long.

The way we manage this is two....well....technically three things.

1. Freedom to Roam - By joining local groups such as Militia, Reenactment Renaissance/Europian, Pagan, Viking....whatever strikes your fancy. Perhaps sports? Or music? Or dance? Take part in the local community you are already in.

2. Trusting Spouses - I cant even begin to explain the amount of sacrifice and trust i have to give to allow my husband the "Freedom to roam" that he does. This relationship would fall apart if I wasn't able to sacrifice my comfort and selflessly give away full and complete trust... Its hard, yes. But my wandering fire dragon always returns to me because of it.

3. Determine what is really most important to you. - My husband has chosen his wife and children to be of greater importance than his need to roam. As a result, he channels that energy into advancing his work, pay, and seeing our children well educated. (Combined with his local homesteading group work)

Asides for those three things....Im afraid i dont know what else to say. Hope it helps a little at least!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi