To vote, or not to vote...

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #258218 by OB1Shinobi
does your presidential vote actually matter?

In the green corner...
and
In the red corner...

ding ding ding!!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #258219 by Proteus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD1EmYdp-qU

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #258221 by
Replied by on topic To vote, or not to vote...
If you really think about it, you can summarize voting by saying "Vote for this guy because the other guy". In the end, either one would have done approximately the same job. Besides, your vote really doesn't matter. Its all about group think.....

The reason people vote is that they want to be part of a group—they want to be part of the group that is deciding the future of the country.

Your vote doesn't really matter

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #258222 by Carlos.Martinez3
For those who share this idea I give you this. I am currently making an attempt, an actual attempt to locate the "yahoos" in my state who are pushing the legality of off gridders. It's a real fight and the moment the moment they are located they will be asked to re think or they will not get my support nor the support of those who think like me. We are many. That's that now, if toy feel like your vote won't count, I encourage every Jedi who feels this way to find ways to solve the problem. Currently I live in Illinois, a small town, no matter the vote the big city will over deem our vote making it feel... invalid. Solution.
We are asking for re zoning and re arrangement of votes to make our smaller and the sourounding counties have a value more vocal. But it has to start some where. So the process starts. No fair saying well my vote don't count and you don't do nothing about it. But that's my opinion and think I get two and you know they both stink!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #258228 by
Voting matters. A major component of the dysfunctional political system in the United States is a massive voting disparity. Older folks vote in droves. Younger folks, not so much. If those people who think their votes don't matter did vote, the political landscape would look quite different .

Finally, voting is super-important in local and state elections. So much of what affects our daily lives is decided in those elections, not in the big presidential election that everyone is talking about. Yet in my hometown, Charlotte, 20,000 people decided who the next mayor was — the mayor of a city of over 800,000 people. That is not even a third of the way toward filling the football stadium, which is regularly full for Panthers games.

I'm as disenchanted with the political process as anyone else, but not voting is effectively endorsing it as fine as it currently is — that is to say, favouring a certain segment of the population, and ignoring all the others.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #258235 by

Adi wrote: Voting matters. A major component of the dysfunctional political system in the United States is a massive voting disparity. Older folks vote in droves. Younger folks, not so much. If those people who think their votes don't matter did vote, the political landscape would look quite different .

Finally, voting is super-important in local and state elections.

Yep.

More
7 years 7 months ago #258236 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic To vote, or not to vote...

carlos.martinez3 wrote: For those who share this idea I give you this. I am currently making an attempt, an actual attempt to locate the "yahoos" in my state who are pushing the legality of off gridders. It's a real fight and the moment the moment they are located they will be asked to re think or they will not get my support nor the support of those who think like me. We are many. That's that now, if toy feel like your vote won't count, I encourage every Jedi who feels this way to find ways to solve the problem. Currently I live in Illinois, a small town, no matter the vote the big city will over deem our vote making it feel... invalid. Solution.
We are asking for re zoning and re arrangement of votes to make our smaller and the sourounding counties have a value more vocal. But it has to start some where. So the process starts. No fair saying well my vote don't count and you don't do nothing about it. But that's my opinion and think I get two and you know they both stink!

Are you talking about gerrymandering?

This is the best explanation of gerrymandering you will ever see

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/01/this-is-the-best-explanation-of-gerrymandering-you-will-ever-see/

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Founder of The Order
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #258258 by
always vote.

More
7 years 7 months ago #258263 by Cyan Sarden
I don't vote. We have votes every 3 months or so here and considering that I live in a country dominated by nationalists, my opinion has never matched the outcome of votes and elections. I used to get upset by this a lot but since I've been throwing the voting forms in the trash the instance they arrive in my mailbox, I've stopped getting upset. I don't follow politics here. I know there's a vote today in Switzerland but I don't know (in detail) what it's about. I honestly couldn't care less.

ps: if I lived in the US, I'd sure as hell throw everything I just said out of the window and vote for Hillary.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #258805 by
I would like to stress how important it is to get out and vote, but I can't; our entire presidential election system is little more than a melodramatic piece of theater that gives us the illusion of democracy so we can add some veneer of legitimacy to whatever jerkhole ends up being installed as president. Do we really think that the USA -a country with a government that makes a weekend hobby out of toppling democratically elected leaders in other countries and replacing them with US-approved dictators- really thinks that a free and democratic election process is a good idea?

Of course they don't. If they did, we would have a free and democratic election process. The two-party system is neither free nor democratic, anyone who wants the job that badly is most likely already too corrupt to deserve it, but we keep playing along with every election cycle. Of course they want people to get out and vote, because it convinces the masses that they took part in the system, but the question is: "which system?" A free and fair elections system, or system that placates the masses by giving them a different scapegoat every four to eight years to deflect anger away from the real problem?

I voted Green election after election, and time and time again those votes never had a chance to make change because the two-party system, their friends in the mainstream media, and their wealthy donors made a true democratic election impossible by maintaining the elephant/jackass duopoly at the expense of everyone who falls between those two extremes. This year, I was finally going to vote for a Democrat, however the DNC and superdelegates had other ideas and essentially locked Sanders out. So, should I vote for the crook or the demagogue?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi