To vote, or not to vote...

More
7 years 6 months ago #259190 by Lykeios Little Raven
Every election I'm torn between voting and not voting. I don't know that my vote matters but I don't know that it doesn't matter. Also, as an anarchist I think participating in the system is pretty much a denial of my true feelings about government. I only vote because I have to put up with government and I want some say in how things are run. I think the two party system is bullshit and needs to change. Choosing between two people for president is ridiculous, we should have more options.

I don't know if I'll be voting this year. I'll have just moved to a new state and won't have time to register to vote before the election. So if I want to vote I'll have to vote absentee or sign up for early voting. Also, as I said, I don't like the idea of participating in the system I don't believe in. We'll see what I decide to do. Either way one of two people will be elected president.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #259334 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic To vote, or not to vote...
Found this today after watching Vice President candidate Bill Weld on CNN and looking up his running mate Gary Johnson...
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-09-26/overthrow-the-debate-commission
https://www.johnsonweld.com/notable_names_calling_on_the_cpd_to_let_governor_gary_johnson_debate

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259373 by
Replied by on topic To vote, or not to vote...

OB1Shinobi wrote: does your presidential vote actually matter?

In the green corner...
and
In the red corner...

ding ding ding!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259374 by
Replied by on topic To vote, or not to vote...

Adi wrote: Voting matters. A major component of the dysfunctional political system in the United States is a massive voting disparity. Older folks vote in droves. Younger folks, not so much. If those people who think their votes don't matter did vote, the political landscape would look quite different .

Finally, voting is super-important in local and state elections. So much of what affects our daily lives is decided in those elections, not in the big presidential election that everyone is talking about. Yet in my hometown, Charlotte, 20,000 people decided who the next mayor was — the mayor of a city of over 800,000 people. That is not even a third of the way toward filling the football stadium, which is regularly full for Panthers games.

I'm as disenchanted with the political process as anyone else, but not voting is effectively endorsing it as fine as it currently is — that is to say, favouring a certain segment of the population, and ignoring all the others.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi