To vote, or not to vote...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #258954 by
Replied by on topic To vote, or not to vote...
I have always believed that whether or not an individual chooses to vote is their own business, but I personally believe that those who don't may not understand that it is a privilege not afforded everywhere. The fact that you even have a right to vote, whether you believe it counts or not, should be cherished. It may not seem like it could happen today in the United States, but this right has been taken away from people before and it could happen again. I imagine people who don't currently vote might feel differently if the choice to vote or not was suddenly made for them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #258956 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic To vote, or not to vote...

Senan wrote: I imagine people who don't currently vote might feel differently if the choice to vote or not was suddenly made for them.

That's already a reality in the states, and has been the case ever since swing states were allowed to hold more sway than other states. As long as people vote, it's a proclamation that they approve the choices that's offered to them. It's a vote for the continuation of the status quo, a belief that the system works. Look at our choices, is this a healthy example of a system that is working in our benifit?

There are two people running for presidency that are not allowed in the big debates, why? Because they "failed" to bring in enough attention. Why? Because they didnt have the deep pockets to get air time. As long as the "diplomatic process" currently in place in the States (and around the world) is dependent on the all mighty dollar to fuel itself, it will stay corrupted...

As long as the poorer of the two remain in the shadows, who will bat an eye at a fixed election? I just dont trust the system anymore....

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259085 by

Zenchi wrote:

Senan wrote: I imagine people who don't currently vote might feel differently if the choice to vote or not was suddenly made for them.

That's already a reality in the states, and has been the case ever since swing states were allowed to hold more sway than other states. As long as people vote, it's a proclamation that they approve the choices that's offered to them. It's a vote for the continuation of the status quo, a belief that the system works. Look at our choices, is this a healthy example of a system that is working in our benifit?

There are two people running for presidency that are not allowed in the big debates, why? Because they "failed" to bring in enough attention. Why? Because they didnt have the deep pockets to get air time. As long as the "diplomatic process" currently in place in the States (and around the world) is dependent on the all mighty dollar to fuel itself, it will stay corrupted...

As long as the poorer of the two remain in the shadows, who will bat an eye at a fixed election? I just dont trust the system anymore....

Voting is not a proclamation you approve. There are many things I disapprove of when I vote for a particular person or party. You don't vote for perfection, you vote for the best option of what's available - that can even include tactical voting to deny an even worse option.

You may not trust the system, but it's the system you've got. The system isn't fair, but you can't change the rules of the game by refusing to play.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259117 by Zenchi

Akkarin wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

Voting is not a proclamation you approve. There are many things I disapprove of when I vote for a particular person or party. You don't vote for perfection, you vote for the best option of what's available - that can even include tactical voting to deny an even worse option.

You may not trust the system, but it's the system you've got. The system isn't fair, but you can't change the rules of the game by refusing to play.

I strongly disagree, it's a system we the American people have because we have tolerated it. It's not changing for the better imo, it appears to be getting worse. The system in place is Intended to SERVE the people, not the other way around.

I'm not expecting perfection, but the choices on the table are ridiculous, and for objious reasons. How else is the system put into place going to change as long as it continues in the direction it's running? Honestly, look at our choices! Does this appear to be a system that gives a damn about the people who are sustaining it? I dont even want to get into illegal immigration as that's an entirely can of worms all to itself.

This or that, palpatine or vader (an over exaggeration, but hopefully you get the point if you've paid attention to both primary candidates and their history) and the other two running dont have a chance. As an American and a Jedi I have a MAJOR problem with this, and it isn't because I don't cherish my right to vote, its because I know what this country was founded on, and I'm pretty sure the founding fathers would be all to quick to jump back in the grave if they could see how things have declined politically.

Granted, don't mistake this as seeing the glass as half empty, we're better off than we were then, I fully acknowledge that. However, things have grown to the point that the only way corruption ceases to Influence the system in place now, imo is a genuine scare. I personally don't like the thought that only drastic measures will produce the change needed that will ensure the system is working for the people, and not the other way around, but I am mentally at that point. Revolution is sometimes necessary...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259122 by
I'm fed up of listening to Confederates lecture me on how Trump will save them. Hillary is just as bad as him politically, but she has good intentions. trump is a racist, lying, sexist greedy idiot, and I damn well hope he is assassinated. I know it is wrong of me to wish death upon another person, but to potentially save the lives of billions, yes I would.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259137 by
Warning: Spoiler!

How would/do you change the system then?

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259147 by Zenchi

Akkarin wrote:

How would/do you change the system then?

The presidential debates should not be exclusive to the wealthy, imo. Preventing those who don't have the money to buy the attention to "earn" them a spot in the debates is a flag, that the process can be and is bought. Possible solution: place two of the debates over the Internet, allowing all of the candidates a fair opportunity to voice their sollutions to current issues in attempts to gain attention from the public.

The whole process behind electoral map in the states is imo, whacked. It has not changed alongside with this countries cycle of progression and is seriously outdated, it could use an overhaul to say the least. Possible solution: remove the influence of swing states by changing the number of electorial votes each state currently possess to ensure a more balanced electorial map...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259176 by

Zenchi wrote:

Akkarin wrote: How would/do you change the system then?

The presidential debates should not be exclusive to the wealthy, imo. Preventing those who don't have the money to buy the attention to "earn" them a spot in the debates is a flag, that the process can be and is bought. Possible solution: place two of the debates over the Internet, allowing all of the candidates a fair opportunity to voice their sollutions to current issues in attempts to gain attention from the public.

The whole process behind electoral map in the states is imo, whacked. It has not changed alongside with this countries cycle of progression and is seriously outdated, it could use an overhaul to say the least. Possible solution: remove the influence of swing states by changing the number of electorial votes each state currently possess to ensure a more balanced electorial map...

Those are good, but I meant how do you change the system without voting? What do you do?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #259178 by

Akkarin wrote: Those are good, but I meant how do you change the system without voting? What do you do?

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #259185 by Zenchi

Akkarin wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

Akkarin wrote: How would/do you change the system then?

Those are good, but I meant how do you change the system without voting? What do you do?

Most if not all of my involvement is at the local level, and that worked for a while, however my congressmen (John Yarmuth) no longer takes my calls, a handful of rants was more than enough to have me blocked from his private number, and i'm pretty sure he's changed it....multiple times :dry:

It genuinely feels like a "damned if you do and dammed if you dont" situation atm, there have been attempts before to change the process Involving the electorial vote, and every one is shot down before it catches air.

Honestly, my best hopes are that Anonymous finds a way to hack a future election, and forces the whole thing over again. That's not going to happen. I don't see anything changing without massive protest, and the people are not driven to that point mentally....yet.

For myself to initate that sort of action, I would have to resort to extremist actions. Something I may have given serious consideration before I became a member here, now...not so much. Anyone who opposes the system is displayed as a terrorist, or supporting the like. As much as my ego would get off on Inciting riots, I'm likely to end in prison before the first fire is set, lol.

Had Hillary Clinton demanded the other two candidates be involved in the process, it may have convinced me to reconsiderto vote for her, I'm not sure it would have made much a difference, it certainly would show she's trying and acknowledges the system is flawed.

I know talking to a wall doesn't count, but that feels like the size of it when you are attempting to put the message out that there are two alternatives to the obvious. The news media are doing a GREAT job at hyping the circus into a "sports" event. Describing the debates like a football game, all the while forgetting there are four teams, and two aren't allowed to play on the field because they aren't rich and dramatic enough...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi