On Earning Respect (Split from RESPECT)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254717 by
Respect is earned, it is not given!
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Proteus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254718 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Respect

Murasaki wrote: Respect is earned, it is not given!

Every being deserves respect.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254721 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Respect
Every being deserves respect...Why? I'm genuinely curious as to you thoughts on this.

But personally.... I don't have much respect for Third world dictators. they tend to make a habit of causing their people massive suffering. Not much respect for the people who who beat and starved my dogs before I had them.

zero respect for that twit who extorts money out of people by jacking up the price of their medication by a billion percent.

Oh, and people who rape babies. Not a great deal of respect for them either.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Manu, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254723 by
Replied by on topic Respect
I'd appreciate it if we stayed on topic. If you want to discuss respect (rather than RESPECT as implemented in the TOTJO's terms of use), I recommend starting a new thread.

@Akkarin - I don't agree with the change made to the last line. Are we really here, then, to debate who is right and wrong?
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254724 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Respect

Murasaki wrote: Respect is earned, it is not given!

does this mean your default setting is to be disrespectful to people until they prove themselves worthy?

EDIT

Adi wrote: I'd appreciate it if we stayed on topic. If you want to discuss respect (rather than RESPECT as implemented in the TOTJO's terms of use), I recommend starting a new thread.

ok, sorry Adi

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254727 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Respect

Brenna wrote: Every being deserves respect...Why? I'm genuinely curious as to you thoughts on this.

But personally.... I don't have much respect for Third world dictators. they tend to make a habit of causing their people massive suffering. Not much respect for the people who who beat and starved my bigs before I had them.

It zero respect for that twit who extorts money out of people by jacking up the price of their medication by a billion percent.

Oh, and people who rape babies. Not a great deal of respect for them either.

Respect doesn't mean a free pass. I mean basic respect in the sphere of basic human rights. and I'm pretty sure that's the kind of respect that the OP is talking about.

Third World Dictators and child molesters should be punished for their crimes, but does that mean that they should be stripped of human rights? Should they be isolated, starved, tortured, sterilized? I know many would say yes, but I disagree. No matter how bad the person's actions, or what they have said, they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect as befits any member of the human race. Otherwise, where would we draw the line? If it's okay to torture that guy, why can't I torture this one if I think he's done bad things?

Esteem is one thing. Respect is another. I think esteem is earned, but respect should be a right of all people.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Leah Starspectre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 8 months ago #254728 by Brenna
There are some schools of thought that believe that such atrocities continue because there are no real consequences. Third world dictators come mind :)

Should someone who has stripped another of their basic rights and respect be permitted to have that which they have denied others?

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #254729 by
Replied by on topic Respect

Adi wrote: I'd appreciate it if we stayed on topic. If you want to discuss respect (rather than RESPECT as implemented in the TOTJO's terms of use), I recommend starting a new thread.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
7 years 8 months ago #254730 by Brenna

Adi wrote:

Can we get this split off then please

The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #254731 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Respect

Adi wrote: @Akkarin - I don't agree with the change made to the last line. Are we really here, then, to debate who is right and wrong?

well, sorting out the right from wrong is important, and people come at the same issue from different perspectives, so its only natural that it takes the form of a debate from time to time

i think the distinction is somewhere around looking at conversations as a battles vs looking at them as creative, cooperative exploration?

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi