Jedi Knights Meaning

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249360 by
Jedi Knights Meaning was created by
Hello all,

As some of you may notice, I am a newcomer to the temple.
As I write in my journal, I also take a look at the journal entries of my fellow Jedi to try to understand how they understand. It helps me to take a look at myself and my personal journey.

One question I have however is: For those who are Knights and even Apprentices, What does being a Knight mean to you?

Maybe a little insight from your perspective will help guest , novices and inmates to better understand our own reason for walking a path similar to yours.

All comments are welcomed of course.

Attachment h34b5ab4.jpeg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249362 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Knights Meaning
Our code follows, I hope it will lend some insight:

The Knights Code

A Knight is sworn to valor.
His heart knows only virtue;
His blade defends the helpless;
His word speaks only truth;
His Shield shelters the forsaken;
His courage gives hope to the despairing;
His justice undoes the wicked;
His image brings peace;
His code breaks the darkness;
His legend brings light.

Becoming a Knight means a sincere commitment to understanding oneself, one's world, and one's universe through the Force. It takes a minimum of 8 months of dedicated study (usually over a year). Apprenticeships have no "required lessons" and are at the discretion of the Teaching Master, which means the journey towards Knighthood is as varied as the individuals who embark on it. Once the Teaching Master feels the Apprentice is ready, they are interviewed and their journal reviewed by the Council.

For me, being a Knight means a commitment to doing my best. To putting my ego aside wherever possible and serving others. I believe compassion, service and humility are the defining characteristics of the Knight and I endeavour to live my life in accordance with those principles, as well as the doctrine as defined by the Temple. In another way, I view Knighthood as a step in the journey, a link in the chain. I recently described it as the opening of a door, with the whole world beyond it. A Knight should know enough about themselves, others, their community, society, and indeed their spiritual place in the universe to be able to stride out with confidence.

On the flipside, an important point: Knights are only human. No-one pretends we don't make mistakes, or are robots, or are perfect. Far from it. However, we should have the wisdom to learn from our mistakes, the drive to continue improving our interaction with the world. and the strength to endure the darkness which strikes the heart of every life, from time to time.

If you have any more specific questions you'd like me to share my opinion on, let me know. :)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by .

More
7 years 8 months ago #249364 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic Jedi Knights Meaning
I struggled with this too and used the chat as well as the PM function to contact others and ask for their view, admittedly, the approach you chose may be more elegant :)
As with most things, TOTJO actually has a really minimalist definition for a knight, referring to amounts of study as well as approval by the teaching master and council. This, to me, doesn’t really tell what a knight is, only what is needed to be recognized as one.

But you asked what being a knight means, not what it is defined as :)
So far (and it really only is so far, this view is still evolving) I believe a knight to be someone constantly striving to better themselves by deepening their understanding, practicing (both spiritually as well as physically) and sharing. Most of all it is about finding your own way and meeting those along it.

The knights code is not part of the doctrine and ‘only’ an optional part of the IP and I am somewhat thankful for that. From my own perspective I already struggle with the Creed as I do not believe I can be … well, like this. I have no troubles striving for those ideals, however I do believe in offering help, shelter, peace in a less forceful way.

I feel a bit childish using this as an example but I’ll use the Star Wars Jedi branches to maybe better explain what I mean: I don’t think I could be a guardian kind of jedi, but imagine I would perform well (or at least a lot better) as a consular.
In its most basic daily occurrences, this for me would be the difference between offering direction and offering perspectives. Or to speak with the code: I won’t bring light, but I will offer it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249365 by
This is a good question , i have come to realise in my time in the Temple that its about trust more than it is about rank , its to be trusted with others , to teach and develope and grow yourself even more. To be of better service, in my novice journal i answered that question , its not completely how i see it now but it gives yu an idea :)

Advanced IP

More
7 years 8 months ago #249379 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Jedi Knights Meaning
I've been pondering this myself recently... although I don't hold the knight rank here now, I did for a while.

Knighthood is so many things that it's difficult to sum up, but here are a few thoughts of mine..

Knighthood is:

- Being a role model for others
- Always striving to be the best you that you can be
- Helping and supporting others in your community
- Being committed to one's continual learning
- Practising self-control and self-discipline
- Being available and willing to teach others who desire to learn from you

There are a hundred other things that could go on that list, but as you should notice, none of what I've posted above requires someone to have that little orange rank bar beneath their name. TOTJO has it's rules on study to achieve our rank of Knight, but someone doesn't need our approval to be a knight in practice.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Ben, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, , Cyan Sarden, Loudzoo and 4 other people also said thanks.

More
7 years 8 months ago #249388 by Carlos.Martinez3
One of the many joys of Jedi ism is its ability to become...anything. The human potential alone is so vastly Un explored, just like Jedi ism. I still don't know all what I can do with it. I personally have received many different forms of meditation for a very many variety of things. I use them every chance I get! I've found many different ways to change myself and where to store and find value. Here, at least with me rank is earned and granted. I wouldn't want to receive any rank I did not deserve or earn, nor would I pass it. To me personally being a Knight is making the active difference. The studying I do isn't for general stowed knowledge. Personally, my library has few fantasy books. Don't get me wrong, I have complete works of c s Lewis, Tolkien, Anne Rice, Hitchcock, lemony snicket,J K R, to name a few greats, name drops!!! So similar is my search for my own personal truths. To me, being a Knight helps me in direction some days. It's not that I don't already have direction, multiple ones at my most demanding days, but I have that tangible... thing to look at, in hand, on the wall...every day. For me this is king! To me being a knight is a form of helping those on similar paths. Not to yield like results...not to be like me, but to receive, like me. In my path what I have searched for, eventually I have and will find. Kinda nice to know. If by some how I can help some one some way, words...songs...stories.. books... devotionals... articles..poems... tea...coffee, or the talk there of...I think it would be time well invested. To me, being a knight is being the active ability to be the investor. The giver, as well as the partaker. Here we truly can be a part of something great... if we choose.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Ben, , Zenchi, Cyan Sarden, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249419 by

One of the many joys of Jedi ism is its ability to become...anything.

Yes, I imagine so, because by that rationale, it doesnt matter if you become anything at all or not.

You would still be a Jedi.

If Jediism is vastly unexplored, it seems its only because people are filling it up with what they already know, rather than emptying the cup as it were to learn what it is, or can be.

Not hard to copy and paste and label the file a different title.

More
7 years 8 months ago #249427 by Carlos.Martinez3

Khaos wrote:

One of the many joys of Jedi ism is its ability to become...anything.

Yes, I imagine so, because by that rationale, it doesnt matter if you become anything at all or not.

You would still be a Jedi.

If Jediism is vastly unexplored, it seems its only because people are filling it up with what they already know, rather than emptying the cup as it were to learn what it is, or can be.

Not hard to copy and paste and label the file a different title.

I think we live in a cut and paste condition, I know I do at times. It is up to each of us to choose light dark shadow or fake. It's the ability to do... that keeps me coming here. I could be a Jedi by mear title or, live it. Living it, is to me, so much more than just being a title. I get to use it. I get to help others use it

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, ,

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #249873 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Knights Meaning
I think it has to be seen by the individual as some maturation point in a process. IMO it would ideally be one founded on personal searching, discovery and codification which then allows the Temple to serve as a platform for progressing that existing effort into its next phase of commitment. Relevance of that persons path to the doctrine and members then being why 'here', instead of the label Jedi. So for me Knighthood is about a significant commitment to ones path at a higher level then previously, which therefore requires prior commitment and progress - IMO above and beyond just the IP and Apprenticeship here.

It's where the openess about definitions and focal areas being discussed above becomes relevant, its not about taking an empty cup and filling it, its rather about taking a cup and turning it into a beer mug
:lol:
This way we don't compare to each other or some figurehead like in a cult, but understand our individual interests, strengths, weakness through time against ourselves instead - to exercise focus into knowledge into wisdom, sort of thing.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #249883 by
Like Marta I answered this in my IP Journal. It describes my personal motivations for pursuing the title and what it means to me. If you feel so inclined please check it out.

https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/47-Journals/113085-kyrin-s-journal?start=40#233515

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi