If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204790 by
From a Catholic POV, yes, all people can be saved but all must be saved through Jesus Christ. However, there are a number of ways a person can be saved though Jesus that may not involve the Catholic Church. One good example is a person that is completely ignorant of Jesus through no fault of their own will most certainly be saved in most cases.

Also, the Catholic church (in spite of all the false information out there) does not teach that any particular group of people will go to hell. All sinners, unrepentant, will go to hell but after that it is God's decision and not ours. So, on individual cases Catholics are taught not to say who is or isn't going to hell. Also, people commonly say that according to the Catholic church all gays will go to hell.....no...all sinners will go to hell and homosexuality is simply a sin and like anyone that sins and isn't repentant then they could potentially go to hell.

So, in short everyone must be saved through Jesus but there could be many paths to Jesus and given he's the almighty and all knowing we cannot possibly know who will or won't go to heaven but we know you get there through heaven.

Of course, Jews, Muslims and every other belief system will disagree with part or all of this.

And for the record, I'm psuedo Catholic but consider Jesus to have been a Jedi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204791 by Br. John
Do you (no one in particular but in general) know how The Bible got put together - when - and who did it? Many scholars say there are properly five gospels. I agree. Add The Gospel of Thomas and see what happens.

Here are the first 10 verses.

These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

1. And he said, "Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death."

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

4. Jesus said, "The person old in days won't hesitate to ask a little child seven days old about the place of life, and that person will live.

For many of the first will be last, and will become a single one."

5. Jesus said, "Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. [And there is nothing buried that will not be raised.]"

6. His disciples asked him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How should we pray? Should we give to charity? What diet should we observe?"

Jesus said, "Don't lie, and don't do what you hate, because all things are disclosed before heaven. After all, there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and there is nothing covered up that will remain undisclosed."

7. Jesus said, "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human."

8. And he said, "The person is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of little fish. Among them the wise fisherman discovered a fine large fish. He threw all the little fish back into the sea, and easily chose the large fish. Anyone here with two good ears had better listen!"

9. Jesus said, "Look, the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered (them). Some fell on the road, and the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on rock, and they didn't take root in the soil and didn't produce heads of grain. Others fell on thorns, and they choked the seeds and worms ate them. And others fell on good soil, and it produced a good crop: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."

10. Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and look, I'm guarding it until it blazes."

Full text at:

The Nag Hammadi Library - The Gospel of Thomas

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

So close to Jesus we've been mistaken for co-joined twins.

Founder of The Order
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Br. John.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204792 by

Br. John wrote: Do you know how The Bible got put together - when - and who did it? Many scholars say there are properly five gospels. I agree. Add The Gospel of Thomas and see what happens.

Here are the first 10 verses.

These are the secret sayings that the living Jesus spoke and Didymos Judas Thomas recorded.

1. And he said, "Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death."

2. Jesus said, "Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will reign over all. [And after they have reigned they will rest.]"

3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.

When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty."

4. Jesus said, "The person old in days won't hesitate to ask a little child seven days old about the place of life, and that person will live.

For many of the first will be last, and will become a single one."

5. Jesus said, "Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed. [And there is nothing buried that will not be raised.]"

6. His disciples asked him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How should we pray? Should we give to charity? What diet should we observe?"

Jesus said, "Don't lie, and don't do what you hate, because all things are disclosed before heaven. After all, there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and there is nothing covered up that will remain undisclosed."

7. Jesus said, "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human."

8. And he said, "The person is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of little fish. Among them the wise fisherman discovered a fine large fish. He threw all the little fish back into the sea, and easily chose the large fish. Anyone here with two good ears had better listen!"

9. Jesus said, "Look, the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered (them). Some fell on the road, and the birds came and gathered them. Others fell on rock, and they didn't take root in the soil and didn't produce heads of grain. Others fell on thorns, and they choked the seeds and worms ate them. And others fell on good soil, and it produced a good crop: it yielded sixty per measure and one hundred twenty per measure."

10. Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and look, I'm guarding it until it blazes."

Full text at:

The Nag Hammadi Library - The Gospel of Thomas

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/gosthom.html

So close to Jesus we've been mistaken for co-joined twins.

Yes, there are many books that were excluded from the bible that, IMO, should be part of it. The Catholic Church but the bible together and left out books they felt were inconvenient to the faith. The Protestants further removed books that were not convenient for Protestantism.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204797 by Carlos.Martinez3

Aqua wrote: I am writing my essay about Abrahamism at moment, during my research I saw this question.. Just wondering, what do you think or understand when reading this question?

~ Aqua

,,If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?''

out of curiosity saved from what? if jesus saves you from your "sin debt" then you dont need him? you could save your sellf? you have the payment for the "sin debt" ?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204798 by
I dont think we can offer more than an opinion on the matter unless we agree on the validity of the following assumptions inherent in the question:

1. People of all religions can be saved.
2. Being "saved" is the end goal for all religions.
3. We need Jesus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204802 by
This thread is suspect. The question is pointless. It presupposes that one believes in Christ, that we need to be saved, that everybody will be saved, or any combination of the three.

To one who doesn't believe in Christ, it's a pointless question to ask or answer. Now, if it was being directed at a Christian (or believer of any other religion) who believed in universal salvation, that would make sense. All I see is a very poor and juvenile attempt to troll or mock Christians.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204804 by

Star Forge wrote: This thread is suspect. The question is pointless. It presupposes that one believes in Christ, that we need to be saved, that everybody will be saved, or any combination of the three.

To one who doesn't believe in Christ, it's a pointless question to ask or answer. Now, if it was being directed at a Christian (or believer of any other religion) who believed in universal salvation, that would make sense. All I see is a very poor and juvenile attempt to troll or mock Christians.

Without being snarky, I think the whole idea of the thread is a question for a Christian POV because it is pretty obvious that only Christians think you need to be saved and you need Jesus to do that.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204805 by

Ousan Ka wrote:

Star Forge wrote: This thread is suspect. The question is pointless. It presupposes that one believes in Christ, that we need to be saved, that everybody will be saved, or any combination of the three.

Without being snarky, I think the whole idea of the thread is a question for a Christian POV because it is pretty obvious that only Christians think you need to be saved and you need Jesus to do that.

Islam has a somewhat similar concept of salvation, as does Zoroastrianism. Hinduism and Buddhism have a concept of salvation as well, if the world is used more broadly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204808 by

Star Forge wrote:

Ousan Ka wrote:

Islam has a somewhat similar concept of salvation, as does Zoroastrianism. Hinduism and Buddhism have a concept of salvation as well, if the world is used more broadly.

Yes, but this question is specifically about Jesus so it almost certainly is asking from a Christian POV.

There really wouldn't be much point in asking this to a Muslim, Jew or Buddhist as none of them believe in the divinity of Jesus. Though, Muslims do believe he was a prophet.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204845 by Gisteron
I understand the question as a problem that arises in Christianity whenever people try too hard to make it moderate or liberal and by extension tolerable in this day and age. We have come to a point where people are no longer utter irredeamable savages and recognize that a system of justice that relies on the awareness of and submission to a religious message fails the instant people exist who have no such awareness. When in earlier days somebody not of the faith was evil by virtue of not being of the faith and deserved eternal torment by our and inevitably our gods' sick standards, today we came to recognize this as immoral and pushed theology to abandon that particular stance. Since however the entire construct was originally designed to be irreducibly complex, pulling out one string would have to result in most of the rest of it falling apart also. This question is but a symptom of that wound. They cannot have their cake and eat it, too.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi