If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204767 by
I am writing my essay about Abrahamism at moment, during my research I saw this question.. Just wondering, what do you think or understand when reading this question?

~ Aqua

,,If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?''

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #204769 by
because they must be brought to jesus to be saved, according to christian dogma. John 14:6, King James Version (KJV) "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

so 'we' dont, just christians.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204770 by

Aqua wrote: I am writing my essay about Abrahamism at moment, during my research I saw this question.. Just wondering, what do you think or understand when reading this question?

~ Aqua

I'm a practicing Christian, so I feel qualified to give you an answer that I feel is informed. Keep in mind that I am Orthodox and that our way of explaining things, as well as many of our beliefs, differ greatly from many of the fundamentals of Western Christianity (Roman Catholicism and Protestantism).

Why do we need Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ came with two goals:

1. Mankind's theosis- Through knowing God in a human form, we are able to have a closer connection to him than man did even before the Fall of Man. Christ came to teach us the unabridged straight truth about God, so that we might become like God, the process of which is called Theosis, which is salvation and the path to salvation.

2. To destroy death by death- Christ is fully God, but also fully man, so like all men, he had to die, by some means or another. Orthodoxy does not teach that Christ sacrificed himself to atone for man's sin, or to pay off a debt. Christ died so that he would rise again and therefore conquer death.

Afterlife is a different concept either. There is no literal heaven or hell. Everybody will be in the presence of God, and that experience will be what the individual makes of it. In other words, it will be joy for those who love God and misery for those who hate Him. As to whether a person's state can change after death is a contentious subject. I believe Metropolitan Kallistos Ware (and English bishop and himself a convert to the faith), at least considers it a possibility, as do many Orthodox theologians. I believe the "official" Orthodox stance on universal salvation (known to us as "Apocatastasis") is that there is no problem believing in it, but that it would be irresponsible to teach it as dogma.

I hope that helps.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204771 by
I'm agnostic but I will answer your question from a theistic POV or at least my warped theistic POV

Old Testament God = Kill all the nonbelievers, New Testament God = Everyone can be a Christian and be saved. Jesus Christ Needed to come to earth so that all mankind could be redeemed for the sins which began with the very first people. Now that he died for everyone he opened up a path for any people through him and his ways a way into heaven. Although a lot of Christians will tell you that you go to hell if you don't believe in him I think if Jesus was real he would understand that if someone led a good life based on Jesus teachings even without knowing him could go to heaven. The people who broke off from the Jewish faith needed Jesus as a way to convert and allow others to convert to their faith. He also adds the classis hero motif to the tail.
I sincerely hope you ask this question out of sheer curiosity and are not trolling Christians on here this site is not about religious discrimination.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204773 by Alethea Thompson
lol, I considered today: If I had a video camera, I'd make a youtube video about how all the religions benefit their followers in some way- with the message "You can't reach these people if you're screaming FIRE & BRIMSTONE!"

I would imagine those that rationalize the idea look at it like this:

Not everyone can be saved, that doesn't mean that everyone can't have a good life here on Earth. They just won't have anything in the afterlife.

So why do you need Christ? For the end game.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204778 by
Yes, but as I recall, its what you do on earth as Christian that matters to your endgame. Unless your going for the death bed repentance.

This is also assuming out of all the religions, (Christianity not even being near the oldest) yours is the right one, or as right as any, given there is no real evidence to any such deity, or cosmic/karmic punishment if you dont believe in that one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204780 by

Aqua wrote: I am writing my essay about Abrahamism at moment, during my research I saw this question.. Just wondering, what do you think or understand when reading this question?
~ Aqua

I once asked me. Then I wondered in sequence: "Do I want everyone to be saved or not?". Do I need Jesus Christ to save only some or I need him to save everyone? When I was a Christian I thought Jesus would find a way to save all, even devils, for the love he feels for humanity and his creation, and that this issue that only a few would be saved was something created by the human mind (because observe that it actually looks something really created by human mind, only a unique portion saved while the rest suffer in hell; Jesus is not, by talking to the Bible). If we need Jesus Christ is by his example and his lessons, "Heaven" is a result of our position, we are good people, caring for the world and people. So I thought when I was a Christian.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204782 by
*cracks knuckles*

Alright, there's a ton of theological standpoints to choose from but I'm going to give you the one I grew up with, repugnant as it is.

To say all people can be saved is only to say that no one is automatically damned, but that does not mean all will be saved. John 14:something says, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me." The way I was taught, only those who accept Christ as Lord and Savior will be saved. Christ was and is considered to be the sacrifice that was needed, but because only he could do it then Salvation can only be achieved by and through him.

In short, you need Jesus because it is required to have Jesus as your Lord and Savior, sole deity, to be saved.

More
8 years 6 months ago #204783 by Breeze el Tierno

Aqua wrote: If people of all religions can be saved, why do we need Jesus Christ?''

My experience has been that various scriptures from around the world are not intended to be presented as A truth, but as THE truth. Many religions promise some manner of salvation, but they stipulate that their own path is the only one that works.

The question looks like it has been written from the perspective of a comparative religion student. It implies that all paths work. It suggests that all people of all religions can be saved. Why then would any particular path be necessary if any one of them will do the job?

Except that, from the perspective of most any particular religion, their and only their path leads to salvation. You will often find individual practitioners that will allow for multiple paths to salvation, but I cannot think of a religious scripture that allowed for that. If someone knows of one, I'd be interested in giving it a read.

The assumptions don't coincide. Thus the confusion.

Just to throw my own hat into the ring, I'm not really interetsed in being saved. Beyond the immediate dangers of speeding cars, I see nothing from which I need be saved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
8 years 6 months ago #204787 by rugadd
We don't. We don't "need Jesus to be saved".

If we want to SAVE OURSELVES from as much unneeded suffering as possible we should ACT AS (purportedly)JESUS ACTED.

It doesn't matter if he was(is) alive.

If you must have faith in something have faith that being a good person is worth it, even if your shit on your entire life.

rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi