No need for a physical temple

More
9 years 4 days ago - 9 years 4 days ago #189099 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic No need for a physical temple

Vrael wrote: Hello my friends.
I have to disagree with you, we need a jedi temple, we need to have a place, not only to meet in person other jedi, but to have a system to teach others, to make other people to not see us as a Joke or nerds that like star wars...if se want to be recognized in the world we need something phisical that people can see that we are not just playing.

I appreciate that you want us to not be looked at as not serious, but as long as we are happy with what we are doing I don't see the need to do something just to improve someone else's opinion of us. I would hope that people don't consider a building to be the organisation... the Temple of the Jedi Order is its people, not its property. Our actions should be our message, in my opinion. With regards to meetings, you don't need a building, you just need people to turn up at one place, anywhere (indeed, us UK people are doing that this year). And we already have a system to teach others.

Some may disagree with me, but I slightly suspect that you haven't read the entire thread, so if you haven't I would go back and have a look at all the arguments.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 4 days ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #189238 by Tarran

Edan wrote:

I have to disagree with you, we need a jedi temple, we need to have a place, not only to meet in person other jedi, but to have a system to teach others, to make other people to not see us as a Joke or nerds that like star wars...if se want to be recognized in the world we need something phisical that people can see that we are not just playing.

I appreciate that you want us to not be looked at as not serious, but as long as we are happy with what we are doing I don't see the need to do something just to improve someone else's opinion of us. I would hope that people don't consider a building to be the organisation... the Temple of the Jedi Order is its people, not its property. Our actions should be our message, in my opinion. With regards to meetings, you don't need a building, you just need people to turn up at one place, anywhere (indeed, us UK people are doing that this year). And we already have a system to teach others.

Some may disagree with me, but I slightly suspect that you haven't read the entire thread, so if you haven't I would go back and have a look at all the arguments.

I don't think anyone could put it any better than that. We Jedi are the order, not some structure. A building is a building. True, the gathering together is something that would be beneficial, but we need no building to do that. As much as any one, or any group of us, might really-really WANT a physical temple, no, we do NOT *need* one. If one cannot get past such an attachment, then one might need to re-evaluate if one is true to their focus and purpose as a Jedi (as we all, every one of us, may tend to need to do, from time to time, whatever the reason).

OB1Shinobi wrote: it hit me recently that i am my temple
my life is my temple
everywhere i go i am in temple

Another bit of brilliance.

And I might add, though it is beneficial to have something tangible, there is the thread, "The Obvious Perfect Temple Solution" - and yes, I've been working out some sketches, and some pertinent data on this, to be compiled as a FREE Kindle e-book, should anyone be interested... it will take a wee bit of time, obviously. I do have other Kindle publications that need to be finished, but I've set them aside for this.

But yes, please do peruse that thread, linked above. Add some input, if you will ;) :D

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago #189240 by
Replied by on topic No need for a physical temple

So If I built a temple here in Michigan USA. (Which is already in the works though is using a different name - Not temple but Hub) How often will you be visiting us?

More
9 years 3 days ago #189278 by Locksley
This is mainly a reiteration of what others have said, I'm sure, but...

The initial cost of a physical temple is prohibitive, not to mention all the administrative work that goes into it. Then there's monthly rent (for a rented space). Utilities. Upkeep. Taxes. Daily management. Etc. Etc. Etc. Not to mention that since the core of the Temple is based online, our members come from all over the world, so simply because there's a physical location doesn't mean everyone would be able to attend with even marginal frequency. Part of me would love to see one some day, even if just for "shits-n-giggles" but I doubt it's something that will come along soon. Besides, unless I could live in the temple, or it was built literally next door, I'd probably only get to frequent it but rarely.

To sort of direct my point towards the OP however, while a physical temple might not be practical, I think (as Steamboat mentioned early on), that there's something else at work here when people think about a temple. Namely, the real-world human connection of like-minded people. That's definitely something I can safely say I wish there was more of in my life (in general, lol), especially when it comes to studies here. Forums and internet connectivity are amazing and great, but they do lack something of that 'direct connection' aspect.

I'd suggest local chapters as a remedy for this (which I'm sure is not a new suggestion, but still). Local colleges/universities especially are good places to build a local Jedi group, as they usually already have the framework for creating "clubs" in-place (and I'm sure you could get an interested member of the philosophy department to sign off, if that's required).

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #189281 by
Part of the lure for a temple might stem from a desire to separate oneself from their everyday life. To take time out of your day to meditate, contemplate, and gain a new perspective. We must remember that it is by looking to ourselves that we find this strength. We can create a space in our own homes, or use secluded regions of nature, to give ourselves this time. That is to say, we can solve this problem for ourselves.

I agree that there is a certain social aspect that is missed. Many others have submitted solutions to this problem in this thread. I think that we must be patient, trust in the will of the Force and, if Jediism continues to grow, communities may naturally spring up. If you notice someone from your area on the site, start a dialogue, get to know them. When you become familiar with each other online after a time, maybe you could discuss things from there. It is best to avoid rushing these things by building a true rapport.
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by .

More
9 years 3 days ago - 9 years 3 days ago #189285 by OB1Shinobi
a temple would be a great idea of it can be done
anyone who can make it happen should be encouraged
by that token ANY sort of contribution to the overall jedi communities evolution (i dont say EXPANSION) should be treated with encouragement imo which definitely includes the things that are already established and in the works

my only point is that these things should not be seen as the limit of what can be done

ANYONE who has a contribution to make should be encouraged to do so imo

we ARE a growing movement and an evolving movement and the nature of these things is that they happen with or without approval

since the train is eventually leaving with or without any particular individual it is a good idea to be watchful of the whats happening on the tracks and ready to act as appropriate

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 days ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago #189290 by

OB1Shinobi wrote: a temple would be a great idea of it can be done

It's not really a matter of it being able to be done or not. IMO. Aurora Chapter here in Michigan is looking to buy out a old, abandoned Preschool and is turning it into a Jedi location. That parts easy enough with a bit of determination.

But once it's bought and made available to the Jedi Public.....Then what? A temple building is nothing without it's membership. A Temple building is nothing without it's membership practicing within it's halls and sharing in Jedi wisdom and Lore. It is just a building....A building someone is going to pay a whole lot for....Who will visit it? You? I live almost 4 hours away from it and I can assure you I wont get to visit it as often as I would like. 4 hours is quite a ways out of the way when I have my own home and children to care for. So....who is going to occupy this temple once we got it? Thats the problem.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago #189294 by

Kitsu Tails wrote: It's not really a matter of it being able to be done or not. IMO. Aurora Chapter here in Michigan is looking to buy out a old, abandoned Preschool and is turning it into a Jedi location. That parts easy enough with a bit of determination.

But once it's bought and made available to the Jedi Public.....Then what? A temple building is nothing without it's membership. A Temple building is nothing without it's membership practicing within it's halls and sharing in Jedi wisdom and Lore. It is just a building....A building someone is going to pay a whole lot for....

I feel that this gets to the root of the entire problem. It isn't that there aren't sufficient resources, it isn't because we don't want or "need" a physical temple. It is simply that we don't have the following for it to be a logistical success. At this point in the growth of Jediism we aren't even sure what purpose a physical temple would serve, not specifically anyway. Such a thing would have to be regulated and it would take a significant amount of work to do. The Jedi community isn't yet to the point where I can post a bulletin in my local newspaper and have even five people show up to a meeting.

If we (meaning any members of the Jedi community) want a physical temple there has to be a large enough following for it to become useful and not just a burden. There would have to be several people contributing to make the site a success. There would have to be staff members and "managers" and people who spend a significant amount of time working at this building. On top of that there would have to be at least twenty people who frequented the temple. People who lived within a half hour to an hour drive of the place. People who felt they would gain something from going out of their way to visit such a place. People who were being offered more than just conversation and the company of like-minded individuals.

I feel that a physical temple should be an eventual goal that is kept in mind and constantly speculated upon. This is why threads about it and comments about it keep popping up. It is a good goal to have. However now is not the time for such a thing.

The Temple of the Jedi Order is still in its infancy stage in the grand scheme of things and Jediism as a religion/philosophy/anything it means to an individual isn't much (if at all) further ahead. I feel that the larger focus of The Order should be getting a steady base and expanding to those that haven't found Jediism yet. We should be training Knights, one at a time and carefully, so that the knowledge base of the Order expands. We should be focused on the community we already have here and making it the best community to be a part of. To me, Jediism isn't just some online forum board to post my thoughts in. It isn't some place I use to role-play or break away from my life. Jediism, to me, is my way of life. The Temple of the Jedi Order is my home and the community here is my family. I benefit from the people here and I don't need to visit a physical temple for my experiences to mean something.

So while a physical temple may provide more potential for training and advancement of Jedi we should not forget ourselves and who we are. We are a people who are supposed to thrive no matter what the circumstances are. So lets not get ahead of ourselves about some "need" for a physical temple. In my opinion, the only thing we really need, is each other.

May the Force be with You,
Rai

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago #189296 by
We can't even get people to go to Gatherings or create Local Jedi Chapters. Heck...Were going backwards...Now its "This communities Gathering and Chapters Vs That communities Gatherings and Chapters".....A Step, Backwards. Not Forwards. Backwards.

This is why i push so much for Chapters (And Gatherings)

Chicago Chapter has a very well rounded and working community going. They meet weekly, they have job positions for their membership, they do charity work, Study groups, Media Prescience...they got the whole 9 yards all they need now is a few more members and eventually they will be able to rent space or buy a small building and turn it into their own Order.

So far they are the only Chapter that can say that and they started with just One guy and a bunch of printed business cards.

One step at a time.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 days ago #189299 by
I am in the works to begin a Hoosier Heartland chapter!

The trouble is that I know one other person, who just joined this site, who lives even remotely in my area!

You can guarantee, if I lived in Arlington full time, that we'd have a North Texas chapter.

What we need are enterprising people living in highly populated areas.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi