No need for a physical temple

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177044 by
Hello! My name is Jeremiah and I'm new to Jediism and to this community. I have gone through the forums in an effort to get to know the community better and have found that I have a few questions I need answered.
One thing I have seen over and over again in the forums is this obsession with building an actual physical temple somewhere and using it as a place to meet, meditate, and train. Why is this something that is needed or wanted? Don't the 16 Teachings tell us to be wary of physical or material attachments? Wouldn't this temple become something of that kind?
Some people have said that a temple isn't necessary to be a Jedi. I agree with this. Some systems of belief assert that a gathering of 2 or more people in discussion of their faith can be considered "at church" or "at worship". Could it also be said that whenever 2 or more Jedi are discussing Jediism via a forum, email, texts, or online chat, that they are "at temple"?
I'm not going to pretend to know a whole lot about Jediism, being that I am so new. But what I have learned seems to contradict the desire to build a physical building, as though it enhances the experience in some way. I'm just wondering what some of the more senior members of the Order think about this subject.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #177065 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic No need for a physical temple
I'm not a senior member... but I've said in another post that anywhere Jedi gather is a Temple in my eyes.
A real meeting place would be nice, but not necessary.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Tarran, Hitira38

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177067 by
Replied by on topic Re:No need for a physical temple
Hi Jeremiah, I think talk of a physical temple is due to a need almost to have something physical as it then seems more real, not just to followers but to the rest of the world. Practically it is not needed, just as in other faiths congregations are not technically needed to practice the faith, but it is nice to have that physical family feeling. Again being round others in person makes it more 'real' and concrete to people.

It'd be nice in theory but we're all so far spread that I think even with a physical temple most of the social side of the faith will remain online.

Also, I'm by no means a senior member so this isn't the opinion of the order, just mine :)
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by .

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177089 by steamboat28

jbrowning wrote: Don't the 16 Teachings tell us to be wary of physical or material attachments? Wouldn't this temple become something of that kind?

Non-attachment isn't "not owning things".

Non-attachment is not letting things own you.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Proteus, rugadd, Tarran, Hitira38 and 1 other people also said thanks.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177107 by Jestor

Burn_Phoenix wrote: I think talk of a physical temple is due to a need almost to have something physical as it then seems more real

Yes...

'Ideas' dont seem real enough to some...

Something 'tangible' makes it seem 'real'...

Whether it is for those here, asking for themselves, or for proof to others, that it is real, and not cosplay, only those asking will know...

Its the same reason we get ask if 'jediism' is recognized as a religion in the USA, which officially recognizes no religion, only non-for-profit corporations, which is what all churches here are...

The validation that they arent crazy... :lol:...

I dont know what is wrong with crazy, I personally embrace it... lolololololol...

Steamboat wrote: Non-attachment isn't "not owning things".

Non-attachment is not letting things own you.

Amen brother...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , Edan, Carlos.Martinez3

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #177108 by steamboat28
Jestor's post

Not only that, but humans are social creatures and our social nature didn't evolve through millions of years of text on a screen. This form of digital interaction is brand new to the human race on an anthropological scale, and there is a great deal to be said for the physical gathering together of people to celebrate likeminded goals and teachings. You can't sing a duet in a room by yourself.

I think a physical temple is an eventual necessity for this digital Temple. Either that, or very, very frequent gatherings. But I also don't believe it's a "right now" issue. It's not a "right now" issue because there are so few of us scattered so far apart that it would literally be a pilgrimage to get even a fraction of us in one place. We don't have the time, the money, or the other resources we'd need to do that right now unless the land were literally gifted to us tax-free. And even then, it would be a massive, massive endeavor.

edit - Entirely relevant.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Locksley, rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177113 by
Replied by on topic No need for a physical temple

'Ideas' dont seem real enough to some...

Something 'tangible' makes it seem 'real'...

Well, in the sense that a physical temple is an idea someone, or a group of someones has... Such an idea would need to be tangible to be real.

I wonder, in fact, what about the Jedi path wouldnt need to be tangible.

Meditation is an idea, but to need to really meditate for it to be real for example. Certainly to get any measurable or tangible benefits, even if only for oneself.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177114 by
I feel that some may feel the need for a physical temple in order to feel safe, along with it feeling more concrete. Perhaps they want a temple so they have a designated place they know they can go to for meditation, studies, etc., while also feeling "accepted" in the real world. Being in a place full of people that you can walk up and talk to at any time, knowing that they share your beliefs amd you are free from riticule of any sort must bring a sense of comfort to some, and they just happen to believe a temple would be such thing. Perhaps, one day, prpbably YEARS from now when Jediism much more popular, that can be a thing, but for now I feel what we have is what we need.

BTW, I am brand new so my opinions do not reflect the Elders, just my own

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177116 by

Sha Karn wrote: a physical temple in order to feel safe, along with it feeling more concrete. Perhaps they want a temple so they have a designated place they know they can go to for meditation, studies, etc., while also feeling "accepted" in the real world.

This place is inside us all, already, I believe. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #177117 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Jestor's post

Not only that, but humans are social creatures and our social nature didn't evolve through millions of years of text on a screen. This form of digital interaction is brand new to the human race on an anthropological scale, and there is a great deal to be said for the physical gathering together of people to celebrate likeminded goals and teachings. You can't sing a duet in a room by yourself.

I think a physical temple is an eventual necessity for this digital Temple. Either that, or very, very frequent gatherings. But I also don't believe it's a "right now" issue. It's not a "right now" issue because there are so few of us scattered so far apart that it would literally be a pilgrimage to get even a fraction of us in one place. We don't have the time, the money, or the other resources we'd need to do that right now unless the land were literally gifted to us tax-free. And even then, it would be a massive, massive endeavor.

edit - Entirely relevant.

I agree entirely

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi