Jedi Movies?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169943 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Movies?
DRAGONS!! :cheer:

Great suggestion, Proteus! Those are excellent movies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169951 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Jedi Movies?
47 Ronin...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.

More
9 years 5 months ago #169954 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Movies?

Zenchi wrote: 47 Ronin...

One of the more classic tellings, or that monstrosity that Keanu ruined? :whistle:

More
9 years 5 months ago #169957 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Jedi Movies?

steamboat28 wrote:

Zenchi wrote: 47 Ronin...

One of the more classic tellings, or that monstrosity that Keanu ruined? :whistle:

lol, I personally liked the new version with Keanu...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
9 years 5 months ago #169958 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Jedi Movies?
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

D is...pretty damn Jedi.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #169960 by
Hero and Life of Pi are two of my favorites. I was going to say Men Who Stare at Goats, but someone beat me to it. :silly:

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #169966 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Jedi Movies?

Zenchi wrote: lol, I personally liked the new version with Keanu...

I loved it except his subplot. If they'd left his character out of the film, or rewritten it so it could be played by literally anybody but a white guy, the movie would've gotten rave reviews from me. I'm just getting really annoyed with that particular trope.

My opinions on this include:
  • The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (which, after multiple viewings, I still don't understand in the slightest, but it still comes off as preachy somehow during the vague bits.)
  • The Fountain
  • The only movie I refuse to allow within 100 feet of me at any time.
  • Any movie based on one of Philip K. Dick's works of fiction, including (but not limited to) Blade Runner, Total Recall (the remake), Paycheck, and A Scanner Darkly
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170048 by
Here's a few titles that I believe depict heroes in different facets:

Man Of Tai Chi
-Actually directed by Keaneu Reeves and played the villain...thought you guys might like that.
-Depicts a young monk trained in Tai Chi to a lethal capacity and is tempted by Reeves into pit fighting to save his temple.

Ninja Scroll
-A Ninja who takes on demons...need I say more.

Brotherhood of the Wolf
-A pair of heroes traveling afar to slay and unknown creature.
-A great story of duty, skill, humanism, and a tribute to native american mysticism.

The story of the video game BioShock
-Being the character an evolving with him is so much more immersive than a movie can be.
-When you take the good guy route and not kill those who cannot defend themselves, the ending is so much rewarding.

Sucker Punch
-Ultimate demostration of self sacrifice.
-Also the action crossing different genres is excitingly original.
--Taking out zombie nazis (not zombies and nazis...undead nazis) and dragons in one scene alone.

Since we're on the subject, I really do wish they could bring back the good old days of film making when just a genre of films had one great action after another. Westerns being the prime example, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were gods of the cowboys. Why not make a new generation of western with Jedi instread of just cowboys or samurai. Who says that Jedi movies must have the fate of the universe in the balance and not just a Lone Jedi (or with a Padawan) carrying out a mission? Be defending an outpost or protecting a senator's child. I can't be the only one whose asked, am I?

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170090 by Tarran
Replied by Tarran on topic Jedi Movies?
Although I'd have to concede with anyone who'd point out that if this were remotely Jedi, it would be at a very "primitive" (for lack of a phenomenally FAR better term) level, I really must say that the original (Arnold Schwarzenegger, 1982) film, "Conan the Barbarian" makes it on this list for me. If you consider the facts of his orphanizing by violent murder, lack of education beyond battle tactics and how to kill, then in spite of insanely phenomenal odds, he did maintain a hold onto a core set of virtues and honour. Almost a story of Duty and Knighthood *in the face of* barbarism. He was brutal, but he had a code, he had a sense of duty, he had a sense of honour, he had filial piety to some degree for his parents, and he placed his friends and fellow warriors before himself. And he loved, in a High and Noble way, which transcended the veil of Death. Even if I stand alone, I salute this fictional hero, as Jedi, even in the most "barbaric" of sentient beings. If he were real and living, I'd stand by him in this.

Apprentice to J. K. Barger
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Tarran.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170254 by
Darren, I'm glad you mentioned Hero. "a warrior's ultimate act is to lay down his sword". Extremely Jedi. I'd also add Mindwalk (which i just realized is part of TotJo curriculum, and was one of my favorite movies growing up), and Fearless.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi