Jedi Bible http://JediBible.org

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #301602 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bible

vladucard wrote: so I got curious and looked it up on amazon and saw the cover...what's that symbol on the bottom ?

Warning: Spoiler!

That would be the Church of Jediism symbol. The guy who wrote the book is their founder.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #301603 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi Bible

That would be the Church of Jediism symbol. The guy who wrote the book is their founder.

Dang, I was going to say the artist formerly known as prince.

Some quick searching indicates a similarity to the sickle of cronus,

(for those who missed middle school, Cronus was the one who ate his kids, until his wife got moody and tricked him, then Zeus (being the snot that he was) went and took over the world, and sent his dad to the naughty corner.

He used said sickle to separate Uranus from his wossname (the wossname in question was at some point thrown into the ocean, and keep up here, caused some foaminess, from which Aphrodite magically appeared. Possible explaining why ol' Aph had testosterone through the roof, and, as I believe they say these days loved to party )

but, since (as far as I know) none of those make believe gits are around to defend their IP, I guess there's no harm is throwing a vaguely mystical / alchemical symbol on a book cover.

(a similar glyph is also used in the computer RPG Arcanum as a the symbol for the "White Necromancy" or "healing" college of magic, as well as the "Force" or lightning college - It's a pretty big stretch, but there's every change this coot is just like me, played the same computer games as me, so the symbol next to the word "Force" and went "meh, that works, and this game was a flop, so who the hell is going to notice?" - I'm not calling foul play or anything, just that symbols, for the most part are just whatever seems good at the time. If there's a neat historical link you can persuade your audience gives it some sort of authority or gravitas, then all the better)
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #301604 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Jedi Bible
@Vladucard

It was developed by a member of the community who came up with the art after meditating on what the Jedi Compass might look like symbolically.

Oh...you meant the one on Become The Force...yeah...I'm not sure how they came up with it. But Daniel Jones has a band, and the symbol on the bottom of his book resembles the Blue Oyster Cult very much. http://www.blueoystercult.com/

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

More
6 years 7 months ago #301606 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Jedi Bible

Oh...you meant the one on Become The Force...yeah...I'm not sure how they came up with it. But Daniel Jones has a band, and the symbol on the bottom of his book resembles the Oyster Cult very much.

a band that released the album "Don't Fear the Reaper"

which, (according to the internet) is "non timete messorem." in latin.

Unsurpringly, also the family motto of the Sto Helit noble family in the Discworld novels.

Duke Mort Sto Helit was briefly, an apprentice of Death (everyone needs a trade).

Death's symbol in those books is the greek letter Omega, Ω - a letter often used to indicate the End of things (apparently, Yahweh occasionally speaks greek as well)

What's the relevance? basically bugger all, but symbols are cool, and people like them, and banging them on things makes them conjure up concepts or memories in the observer that you might not be able to achieve with even infinite words.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Lykeios Little Raven, Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #301609 by

JamesSand wrote: (the voices in my head say I should mention that at some point Plato was probably considered a two-bit hack peddling his bullshit self indulgent manuscripts on the side of the road in Athens)

And we all know what happened to his master...:sick:

"Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don't forget to pay the debt."

More
6 years 7 months ago #301624 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Jedi Bible
Still gonna say I was a somewhat judgmental a hole and spoke from the cuff so, prejudgment aside for now if i can i may and i say may I have a lot more studying to do here first but read his book and see what he says, he may be a d bag in my opinion but he may be good idk, he has some experience in marketing. But, again that's not fair of me to say until I know what he has to say, though i would prefer it be free lol.

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave

More
6 years 7 months ago #301626 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Jedi Bible
What a load of bullspit...

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

More
6 years 7 months ago #301627 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Jedi Bible

JamesSand wrote:

Oh...you meant the one on Become The Force...yeah...I'm not sure how they came up with it. But Daniel Jones has a band, and the symbol on the bottom of his book resembles the Oyster Cult very much.

a band that released the album "Don't Fear the Reaper"

which, (according to the internet) is "non timete messorem." in latin.

Unsurpringly, also the family motto of the Sto Helit noble family in the Discworld novels.

Duke Mort Sto Helit was briefly, an apprentice of Death (everyone needs a trade).

Death's symbol in those books is the greek letter Omega, Ω - a letter often used to indicate the End of things (apparently, Yahweh occasionally speaks greek as well)

What's the relevance? basically bugger all, but symbols are cool, and people like them, and banging them on things makes them conjure up concepts or memories in the observer that you might not be able to achieve with even infinite words.

Mort is my favorite Discworld novel.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #301628 by
Love how the conversation flows here. Almost off topic, then a quick veer back onto the motorway, weaving backwards and forward the whole time.

But isn't the organic nature of these conversations the very reason this site has been so useful to its members? There is no one way to experience the universe, and I very much doubt there is one great secret to success. The creation of a Jedi bible sounds like more of a move towards authoritarianism on the part of Daniel Jones. "9 lessons on how to live as a Jedi master" indeed.

I wouldn't discount the usefulness of any book as a new resource, but this sounds as if it was specifically targeted as a reforming document. And who needs one single authority, when we have countless minds contributing to an emergent discussion on the nature of the universe and our place in it?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 7 months ago #301635 by
I'll read it when the opportunity arises. Perhaps it has something of benefit for us. I just hope it doesn't demand that we pay him tithes.