Man Lives as Full Time Grey Jedi

More
7 years 4 months ago #266045 by Kohadre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kohadre wrote:
I would agree with you on that Kyrin, except that he does not seem to be serving his community as a religious official, or within any recognizable form of public work aside from taking pictures for others amusement.

At least with the Catholic priest, their outfit implies a dedication to public service and a commitment to a strict moral and spiritual code of standards and ethics.

We are all so quick to judge arent we. ;) How do you know this man does not provide a community service? By what standard do you even define a community service? In fact there are no organized Jedi community outreach programs for him to attach himself to. I find that lacking even at this temple. For example we have an internal fundraiser going on now to keep this temple open but I have never seen any such program this temple has sponsored to reach out to the community at large. No food drives during the holidays or fundraisers for homeless shelters or even a drive to help animal shelters in which we could contribute to help out in some small way as an organization.

So absent of that he goes out alone into the community and lives the life of knowledge, wisdom and compassion that he has dedicated himself to. In wearing the robes he has made himself conspicuous enough so that people will ridicule him (remember Jesus) but also approach him and talk to him. Maybe in those conversations he talks about the life he lives and the peace he has found and maybe sometimes that improves the lives of some of those he interacts with. It may even be in just the smallest of ways but at least hes out there doing it.

I'm going by the content of the post which was provided at the start of the thread, which mentions no form of community service or religious function. I don't intend it agonizingly, but I'm not going to do additional research into a topic when the source of information has already been provided in the context of a threads original post. There's only so much time in the day, and this isn't an important enough issue to dedicate additional resources towards digging up further information.

I'm forming a position and response based on that information, not really a judgement.

As far as the temple is concerned, while not a physical gathering of people, the knight's and clergy here do provide a measurable service to others through the content of the sermons they deliver, and the Initiates program / Apprenticeship programs which they offer, in addition to divinity studies which assist in ordaining ministers for further service to the online / local communities of members here.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266046 by
Replied by on topic Man Lives as Full Time Grey Jedi
Lol, why don't we send Akkarin down to Wales and give him a formal honorary invite and knighthood

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266049 by

Kohadre wrote: I'm going by the content of the post which was provided at the start of the thread, which mentions no form of community service or religious function. I don't intend it agonizingly, but I'm not going to do additional research into a topic when the source of information has already been provided in the context of a threads original post. There's only so much time in the day, and this isn't an important enough issue to dedicate additional resources towards digging up further information.

I'm forming a position and response based on that information, not really a judgement.

As far as the temple is concerned, while not a physical gathering of people, the knight's and clergy here do provide a measurable service to others through the content of the sermons they deliver, and the Initiates program / Apprenticeship programs which they offer, in addition to divinity studies which assist in ordaining ministers for further service to the online / local communities of members here.

I didn't ask you to research the guy. You make my very point by pointing out the limited scope of a single article written. I just said give him the benefit of the doubt and don't assume hes not providing a service. You don't have enough information to assume a "position" either way. That's all I'm saying.

More
7 years 4 months ago #266051 by Kohadre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kohadre wrote: I'm going by the content of the post which was provided at the start of the thread, which mentions no form of community service or religious function. I don't intend it agonizingly, but I'm not going to do additional research into a topic when the source of information has already been provided in the context of a threads original post. There's only so much time in the day, and this isn't an important enough issue to dedicate additional resources towards digging up further information.

I didn't ask you to research the guy. You make my very point by pointing out the limited scope of a single article written. I just said give him the benefit of the doubt and don't assume hes not providing a service. You don't have enough information to assume a "position" either way. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough,

I'm not so much assuming he isn't providing a measurable service, as I am going by what the article informs me. As you've pointed out, there's not enough detail to determine either way whether he is or is not providing service to his local community, but from the "tone" of the article, it would seem he is painted more as a detractor than as a contributor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266060 by

Kohadre wrote:
Fair enough,

I'm not so much assuming he isn't providing a measurable service, as I am going by what the article informs me. As you've pointed out, there's not enough detail to determine either way whether he is or is not providing service to his local community, but from the "tone" of the article, it would seem he is painted more as a detractor than as a contributor.

I understand what you are saying. We also need to keep in mind the potential bias of news articles and sources lol.

Also on another note I did not mean to imply that the members of the staff here do not provide great service to the Jedi community at large. I think what they do is commendable. My only point there was that there seems to be a lot of talk of more global community service but no real action outside of individual pursuits. I am just idly thinking that maybe if we did something as a temple to try and make some sort of difference it might help to evolve the general view of the Jedi in the global communities.

I know as a Pagan every event we do is also an event that benefits the community we live in. For example Pagan Pride is also a major fundraising event for the community food banks. This is done by the entry fee to the event being at least 1 can of food. Then at the end of the weekend we present that to community food banks we partner with in the name of our group.

I know that as a virtual community that sort of collection and distribution is impractical but I would think something similar could be enacted at some level. Possibly some donation we could all make that the temple elders could turn around and give to some national or international outreach program in the temples name. Something like that... B)

More
7 years 4 months ago #266064 by Kohadre

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Kohadre wrote:
Fair enough,

I understand what you are saying. We also need to keep in mind the potential bias of news articles and sources lol.

Also on another note I did not mean to imply that the members of the staff here do not provide great service to the Jedi community at large. I think what they do is commendable. My only point there was that there seems to be a lot of talk of more global community service but no real action outside of individual pursuits. I am just idly thinking that maybe if we did something as a temple to try and make some sort of difference it might help to evolve the general view of the Jedi in the global communities.

I know as a Pagan every event we do is also an event that benefits the community we live in. For example Pagan Pride is also a major fundraising event for the community food banks. This is done by the entry fee to the event being at least 1 can of food. Then at the end of the weekend we present that to community food banks we partner with in the name of our group.

I know that as a virtual community that sort of collection and distribution is impractical but I would think something similar could be enacted at some level. Possibly some donation we could all make that the temple elders could turn around and give to some national or international outreach program in the temples name. Something like that... B)

I agree that there is room for improvement as far as TOTJO's outreach is concerned, I think as more apprentices mature into knights and clergy that new directions and opportunities will come to light which may have otherwise not been suggested or considered. Since TOTJO is largely without physical form however, there will need to be a significant effort made towards deciding which physical communities and organizations are selected as beneficiaries of any philanthropic works TOTJO may undertake in their behalf, especially since our member base is so widely spread out.

If there were local chapters or missions that carried the TOTJO name, this may be an easier undertaking. As it is, TOTJO is still establishing it's own footing within the online church and working on creating successful fundraising programs for the purpose of supporting it's own continuation. We have the Cafepress store and the option to have members set up recurring monthly donations through PayPal, whose combined effectiveness I am unaware of.

I have been an open advocate of further community outreach since the time I originally registered as a member and took my oath, whether through volunteer works such as serving at homeless shelters / soup kitchens, or collecting donations for charity organizations / food banks. I think it's wonderful that though your contributions with local pagan chapters, you make a difference in the stocks of local food banks in your community. Especially considering that you have these attitudes and are shown as an apprentice, I have hope that your voice will carry the temple towards further public works upon your induction into knighthood.

Outside of the office of Public Relations and Marketing, I can't find any other functional position within the temple which is dedicated to this program, and it may be that in the future a separate Public Outreach office could be required / warranted. I know that Brenna is currently the Head of this office, so contacting her about setting up outreach programs in your community may be beneficial if that is a path you are sincere in wanting to make progress on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leah Starspectre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #272383 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: One doesn't have to wear a robe every day and carry a lightsabre to be considered a "f*cking weirdo". Basically, just holding to our principles can get us those brandings too.

And that, sometimes from other Jedi. :dry:

I do care about what others think of me, yet I sometimes continue doing it anyways.. :blink: It hurts when people try to brand you with all sort of things, when easily given plenty of pavement to walk on when traveling in a crowded area makes me realize it even more.. Own choices are worth it so much, even with the downsides of staring scary people on the street. :)

Admitting that I find it difficult to do, but what makes people so afraid to follow their 'own' choices?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
7 years 2 months ago #272404 by Brenna
Ah yes, this is the gentleman who tells the media that TOTJO excommunicated him.

Spoiler, we didn't. We also don't excommunicate people.

Each to their own I suppose.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,