Man Lives as Full Time Grey Jedi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265865 by
http://www.odditycentral.com/news/man-lives-as-full-time-grey-jedi.html

Warning: Spoiler!

There's a video included with the article on the linked webpage.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265867 by Alexandre Orion
One doesn't have to wear a robe every day and carry a lightsabre to be considered a "f*cking weirdo". Basically, just holding to our principles can get us those brandings too.

And that, sometimes from other Jedi. :dry:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Brick

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265870 by Zenchi
Correct Alex, and not even that is required. I dress normally and have on regular occasion, angry shouts and even beer cans thrown at me when I decide to walk to town, the entitlement some people have to believe it is ok to berate another for something so personal, or even something as insignificant as walking...

By the way, the links not working for me Akkarin...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265871 by
Replied by on topic Man Lives as Full Time Grey Jedi
Two edged Knife. I've had many conversations with this guy over the net, used to help run his facebook page too.

1. It is fantastic to hold to one's ideals and beliefs. To be steadfast in a practice that you believe in.

2. As a Jedi, we are taught to be Valorous, Humble and in some schools to conquer materialistic needs.

This guy clings to the attention, charity, and Materials of Fictional Jedi for said attention and charity. He is homeless and is turned down by many around him because he dosn't adapt to social norm and make himself a contributing part of his community. He could do himself and his "Faith" more good if he got a job and worked for a more normal life, putting his extra money into something meaningful rather than mooching off of the walefare and charity of the community he lives in.

Just my thoughts. :-/

More
7 years 5 months ago #265873 by Leah Starspectre
I understand the idea of wanting to wear Jedi robes full-time. I mean, I have a Jedi cosplay, and I WISH every day was Halloween (or Comiccon) so that I could wear it all the time. When I have a good excuse to wear it, people smile - they love it!

That being said, I think that dressing like this in the "muggle world" (outside of designated costume spaces or our own ceremonial events), tends to make the general population quite uncomfortable. That's why they poke fun and criticize, and sometime are outright frightened.

Would you say that, as Jedi, we should consider the comfort of others rather than the comfort we ourselves find in the outward expression of our faith? Isn't that part of our Creed?

We have the freedom to dress as we please, but should we sacrifice our own clothing-based religious expression for the comfort of others?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Avalon

More
7 years 5 months ago #265875 by Manu
The attention-whoring is stroooong in this one.

This may be blunt, but someone who switches religions because other religions require to "follow rules", is usually a slob. "I cannot be bothered to follow rules or do something meaningful, so I'll escape into a fantasy life and call it a religion instead".

Jedi is not meant to be easy. This guy should sell the lightsaber and robes, buy a good pair of jeans, and go volunteer or do something useful.

@Zenchi: why do people shout and throw cans at you?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265878 by

Manu wrote: The attention-whoring is stroooong in this one.

This may be blunt, but someone who switches religions because other religions require to "follow rules", is usually a slob. "I cannot be bothered to follow rules or do something meaningful, so I'll escape into a fantasy life and call it a religion instead".

Jedi is not meant to be easy. This guy should sell the lightsaber and robes, buy a good pair of jeans, and go volunteer or do something useful.

I dont think its our task to tell people what to do , neither judge their behaviour from our comfortalble chairs and warm houses , homelessness comes with more than one problem, the difficulties of adjusting to real harsh life are not to be underestimated and it pains me to see so many blunt words on a man who is clearly not himself and has so much troubles with reality that he has to resort to this behaviour , emphathy is in place here more than condemnattion, people dont live it the streets because they love it and dont want to work. Dont kick a man/woman who is already down :S

More
7 years 5 months ago #265881 by Manu

MartaLina wrote:

I dont think its our task to tell people what to do , neither judge their behaviour from our comfortalble chairs and warm houses , homelessness comes with more than one problem, the difficulties of adjusting to real harsh life are not to be underestimated and it pains me to see so many blunt words on a man who is clearly not himself and has so much troubles with reality that he has to resort to this behaviour , emphathy is in place here more than condemnattion, people dont live it the streets because they love it and dont want to work. Dont kick a man/woman who is already down :S

While I agree with your general statement, I don't think enabling him helps either. Sometimes a kick is what someone needs to come to face with reality.

- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #265882 by

Manu wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

While I agree with your general statement, I don't think enabling him helps either. Sometimes a kick is what someone needs to come to face with reality.

Then our opinions differ , i prefer to prod , soft first and harder later ;)

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #265884 by Manu

Then our opinions differ , i prefer to prod , soft first and harder later ;)

I would too, if I were speaking to him in person. For a general opinion, however, Triskar's word will do to give me an overall picture.

EDIT: Then again, I personally prefer tough love

- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: