Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic Force Realist TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAS_4o6xUDY&feature=youtu.be

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #270534 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Force Realist TV

Alethea Thompson wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY0-SNvbuLQ&feature=youtu.be

I have so many opinions on this topic, but I don't even know where to start.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
7 years 3 months ago #270617 by Alethea Thompson
As someone that I actually value on this subject, I'd love to have you on the show to talk about it further. I am of the strong opinion that very few Jedi are cut out for advanced spiritual explorations.

I hope, this year, to address the concept of using "the Force".

And if I'm honest XD, I was kinda hoping to attract your attention to it.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
7 years 3 months ago #270649 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Force Realist TV

Alethea Thompson wrote: As someone that I actually value on this subject, I'd love to have you on the show to talk about it further. I am of the strong opinion that very few Jedi are cut out for advanced spiritual explorations.

I hope, this year, to address the concept of using "the Force".

And if I'm honest XD, I was kinda hoping to attract your attention to it.

I would be honored to be of service. Thanks for your kind words on the matter. :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
7 years 3 months ago #272077 by Alethea Thompson
I was very fortunate to have Steamboat on the show with me today. ^^ Thank you, again, for taking the time to express your views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzJkm0tqkvA&feature=youtu.be

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Loudzoo, Tellahane

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #272240 by
Replied by on topic Force Realist TV
As one who has studied energy work for over 15 years, 10 of which were in formal training including reiki certification, I have come to believe that this sort of work is not about the manipulation of esoteric energy fields either part of this realm or removed from it. Rather it’s about a confidence in will to effect a desired outcome in self or others through the modification of state of mind. I too am one of those logical people with a highly scientific background and even though I have approached this work over the years with an open mind I have failed to find any evidence that such a field exists that can be manipulated in any way. Now I am not saying it does not exist. What I am saying is there is no proof it exists and in the absence of that proof there are simpler explanations for the effects we do observe. (Occam’s razor and all)

Energy does not exist without something to contain it. At the most basic level, force particles have this job in our universe. If this subtle energy field were a part of the natural universe then it should also be a measurable phenomenon that operates on natural law just like any other form of energy and thus its effects should be able to be consistently reproduced under controlled laboratory conditions. After centuries of exploration not a single consistent reproducible effect has ever been shown to be viable. There has never been a consistent hypothesis as to this field’s function that could be falsified under controlled testing. This is pretty strong evidence against its existence in the natural realm.

The next best explanation would be that this field does not exist in the natural realm at all but as some “substance” (i.e. subtle energy field) in a realm outside the natural – the supernatural. But if this is the case what method does this “supernatural field” use to interact with the natural? What force contains this field? If this field exists but has no interaction with the natural then it becomes superfluous. If whatever force contains this energy field has the capability to enter the natural realm and interact with our universe just as any other force particle, then it just becomes a part of the natural at that point and we are right back at having no proof of its existence. If for some reason this energy field operates outside of natural law in a way incomprehensible to us then that is no different than magic and the entire basis of our reality becomes meaningless.

Given these ideas, what I have come to understand is that when energy work is performed it’s not about moving an “energy substance”, either natural or supernatural, from one body to another. Rather it’s about the ability to change “state of mind” of self or others in accordance with will and thus effect desired change. We do this every single day. When someone give words of encouragement to another they are affecting positive change. When a bully demeans or intimidates another person they are affecting negative change. Benefit can be gained and damage can be done but the source of these things is not the worker of the discipline through the manipulation of ethereal forces. Instead it’s the belief of the recipient.

Belief is one of the most powerful tools we have. It is the method that facilitates change in the state of mind and it is the single vehicle that “energy work” has to cause change in accordance with will. To put it poetically, belief is the “force particle” that conducts “esoteric energy”. If we can come to believe in ourselves we can manifest anything. In kind, if we have the confidence of will to make others believe, that is a very powerful tool. Belief in another and what they are telling you is true facilitates connection and alters states of mind in the recipient. And this does work both ways, towards the positive or the negative. This is the very psychology of belief but it also means that we will never be able to effect anyone that has a lack of belief or change anything if we have a lack of belief in ourselves no matter how much we “call to the Gods” or work to manipulate implied “subtle forces”.

We are a species that is aware of not only our own mortality but also of our connection to one another. That connection is facilitated through a single creation in the big bang and furthered through the evolution of our species from common descent. We are all literally made up of the same star dust. This is no more profoundly demonstrated than by the idea that the exact same ratio of elements we find in nature is the same ratio we find in our bodies. There is a divine majesty in this knowledge that we can recognize. The mysteries of the origins of our reality and why we exist at all are profound enough. We don’t need to invent another layer on top of this in so called “subtle energy” as a key to the control of nature. The reality is that we have no control. We are not a special case in nature, either immanent or transcendent, that has been granted divine power over her forces. And if this were a naturally occurring ability we should see this capability in a multitude of other species. And yet we do not. This is because we, like them, are just along for the ride as an immanent part of the process.

When we comprehend this we can find necessity in connection and we can derive power from agreement and cooperation. Because of these qualities we can come together in symbolic acts such as Reiki and provide encouragement and support to others by the force of our wills in positive thinking. This in turn will manifest a change in the state of mind of its recipients. Positive states of mind such as this create hope and the awareness that we are not alone in this life which in turn relieves stress. These are some of the most basic building blocks to begin healing and this is the essence of “The Force” itself. Not some mysterious energy field to be manipulated but that mystical component of existence and its emergent property of consciousness that can only be interactively experienced. To me this is energy work, this is magick, this is Reiki.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

More
7 years 3 months ago #272259 by Alethea Thompson
I, personally, believe in something higher, because I've seen things happen around me. Things that aren't explained by anything so easily. A LOT, and I do mean A LOT, of what I've seen is easily chalked up to psychological phenomena. But there are physical manifestations of energy workings I've witnessed that simply is not explained so easily. Like the putting out of a candle when there is no wind present, and you're standing upright, say one word with an intent to put out the candle (never can remember what that word was), and suddenly the fire is out. Never been able to replicate it again, but hey- the guy that witnessed with me never picked up a cigarette again through the rest of High School (at least). XD

I believe there is something outside of us because of those incidents of things that I just can't explain what I was looking at. And I believe much of what Teresa of Avila believed, that some locutions are divine, some are demonic and some are psychological either misread as one of the two, or a legit mental health issue.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #272327 by
Replied by on topic Force Realist TV
That is really the difference between Faith and Belief isn’t it. Faith is belief without reason. It claims knowledge of the unknowable. Belief, on the other hand, is an account of knowledge that can be verified and tested consistently. You witnessed an event that you could not readily explain when the candle fire went out. You could not reproduce that effect with the perceived cause. You lacked proof and yet you still chose to have “faith” that it was due to some esoteric force you had a fleeting control over. (Proof in this context being something consistently reproducible under the same conditions). The alternative to faith would be accepting the “belief” that it was one of a multitude of well-known phenomena that could cause a candle fire to extinguish, but you had possibly failed to perceive. Maybe it was a breeze you didn’t notice or maybe the melted wax extinguished the flame.

Now I’m not arguing as to whether you witnessed something paranormal or not. I’m just using the concept as an illustration that I think taps into one of the deepest human fears – the fear that “this is all there is”. If what we perceive is all there is to existence, it relegates us to a group of inconsequential apes existing on a rock in an insignificant corner of otherwise infinite space. We as a species have a hard time accepting that. This can’t be all there is, we must be special! We must be important somehow! We must be chosen because we are unique somehow! I think this is one of the main sources of all religious paradigms. Unfortunately it is also the source of some of the bloodiest conflicts and acts of genocide and ethnic cleansings in our history. And that still continues, even today!

This is the difference between religion and spirituality I think. Religion relegates one to staunchly follow a few elite leaders under a static unchanging, unquestionable doctrine while spirituality is a path of constant doubt, self-motivation and continual evolution of belief based on evidence under the mechanism of critical thinking. A religious path is easy to follow because it puts responsibility in the hands of others. A spiritual one is hard to follow because you must assume responsibility for your own beliefs and accept consequences for your own actions. Religion is something we do, Spirituality is something we are.

I think we should always explore our place in the cosmos from a position of skepticism. In this we should never reject the possibility of the existence of anything but also never just blindly accept that existence without proper evidence. And when extraordinary claims are made they should require extraordinary evidence. I think that is what the spirit of this place really teaches, not blind faith in doctrine but the opportunity to realize that no doctrine is sufficient because any attempt to define any sense of our spirituality in this way limits and cheapens it. In fact it is the entirety of all known human experience and myth that comes the closest to outlining the mystery of our existence.

In this concept, we are already immersed in the very phenomenon we are so desperately trying to find somewhere outside our existence. We miss the forest for the trees so to speak. But because to us, they are “just trees”, we dismiss them as mundane. We should not do this because it is the machinations of the very universe we dismiss that is the true mystery - infinite space and quantum physics and consciousness and the human condition are unfathomable enough. Why do we need to invent others that are not in evidence?

I have always wondered what someone like Luke Skywalker would think of his universe were he a real man that existed in a real place. Would he be as cavalier about his place in the universe as we are about ours? I wonder if he would dream of living on a small blue planet on the edge of a moderate galaxy and not know if there were any other life in the galaxy. Would he be captivated by the possibility of going into space for the first time or unraveling the mysteries of black holes or the big bang or exploring the very evolution of his species? To us an ultimate fantasy would be to be transported to the universe of Star Wars. Maybe to Luke his ultimate fantasy would be to live our lives? My point is that we should never take anything for granted and I think we need to try harder to find the majesty in creation just as we know it. We should always be curious but we don’t need to go searching for unicorns – we are the unicorns! :P
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by .

More
7 years 3 months ago #272397 by Alethea Thompson
Topless Khaos again! This time to talk about his views on how "the Force" works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlwZURiIUs&feature=youtu.be

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane,