Star Wars: The Force Awakens International Teaser Trailer IS LIVE ON YOUTUBE!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171835 by

Br. John wrote: The lightsaber blade is different. I don't mean the extra two beams but the flickery firelike texture. Could it be a ancient Sith lightsaber?

That or it was made hastily by someone more focused on building a weapon of intimidation than by a skilled craftsman.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #171837 by J_Roz
To me it looks like a historical great sword, the guards are there to protect the hand......If that is supposed to be Luke Skywalker, perhaps he's protecting his bad hand? Just a thought.....

Roz

Attachment h606beea.jpg not found

Attachment hc3a09dc.png not found

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by J_Roz.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 5 months ago #171848 by ren

steamboat28 wrote: The prequels (May They Be Ignored) at least paid homage to the original and classic cinematography and styling of the original trilogy--through the cuts, the wipes, the angles, etc.--while still using modern filmmaking technique. This does not seem to be doing that, and it's just not Star Wars without wipe cuts. I'm sorry.

I really like those wipe cuts.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171854 by
I just don't know what to think...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #171857 by

Jedi_Roz wrote: To me it looks like a historical great sword, the guards are there to protect the hand......If that is supposed to be Luke Skywalker, perhaps he's protecting his bad hand? Just a thought.....

The thing is, the way it is built leaves room for a lightsaber to cut the guard off (by damaging the emitter). I can't picture those things to be anything more than for show, unless they have another setting which changes the focus of the crystal inside so that the blades get longer and the middle one disappears, then you could make a less traditional weapon. Less traditional forms of the lightsaber are harder to counter. It took Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn a long time to figure out how to fight against a lightsaber whip.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #172039 by
Personally I find that my best movie going experiences are when I know the least about the movie. As tough as it's going to be I'm going to avoid learning much about the movie before I go see it. I'll be happy to see new trailers as they hit theaters and the internet, but I want to be surprised like people were in 1976 when they didn't have the internet to guide their preconceived ideas of what Star Wars should be.

As for the new Sith saber, I think that they were just trying to think of one that hadn't been done yet and that's the best they could come up with.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #172042 by steamboat28

Jamie Stick wrote:

Jedi_Roz wrote: To me it looks like a historical great sword, the guards are there to protect the hand......If that is supposed to be Luke Skywalker, perhaps he's protecting his bad hand? Just a thought.....

The thing is, the way it is built leaves room for a lightsaber to cut the guard off (by damaging the emitter). I can't picture those things to be anything more than for show, unless they have another setting which changes the focus of the crystal inside so that the blades get longer and the middle one disappears, then you could make a less traditional weapon. Less traditional forms of the lightsaber are harder to counter. It took Obi-Wan and Qui Gonn a long time to figure out how to fight against a lightsaber whip.

Not only that, but on historical weapons of that size and scale, the quillons were actually weapons themselves in ways that a lightsaber version could never, ever be without some blade-resistant gloves.

From the ARMA essay on greatswords:

Many of these weapons have compound-hilts with side-rings and enlarged cross-guards of up to 12 inches. Most have small, pointed lugs or flanges protruding from their blades 4-8 inches below their guard. These parrierhaken or "parrying hooks" act almost as a secondary guard for the ricasso to catch and bind other weapons or prevent them from sliding down into the hands. They make up for the weapon's slowness on the defence and can allow another blade to be momentarily trapped or bound up. They can also be used to strike with.

Not only that, but certain stances and grips would be impossible without cutting your fingers off.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by steamboat28.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #172079 by Adder
I'd like to think it has 3 outlets, there being only so much power produced meaning it can have different variations of emittion; such as 3 equal short blades, handguarded mode (as shown), or single full extension. It could explain why it looks more like a flame then a contained field, as in anything other then single blade it might not have enough juice to fill the field. ~geekness

I like that there was lots of flying :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #172125 by
I wonder if the new movies will awaken new Jedi realist seekers, looking for something more in life than mindless consumerism?

or has that ship already sailed?

Will we see another flash in the pan excitement, Jedi Sanctuary experience, that ends in the owner making a club to worship evil doing? ie. crash and burn?

I like TOJO, but I'd like to see some solid revival in the force spirituality, and a lot more diversity.

The Jedi scene online was quite vibrant back then, but died out. Only organised serious places like here survived.

Will we see a surge in TOJO ranks?

I hope the new movies will have more spiritual ideas in the story line. I didn't find the pre-quels very spiritual. But there was certainly new looking evil people, for young people to idolise.

More
9 years 5 months ago #172137 by Edan

Demnos wrote: Will we see a surge in TOJO ranks?

Whenever the temple is mentioned, the number of people joining expands quickly (seen by the recent BBC article). I have no doubt when the films come and people start googling 'Jedi' again it will happen. Whether they stay or not, who knows, but most won't.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , , Tarran, Cyan Sarden