Star Wars - The Old Republic Game

More
12 years 2 months ago #50337 by Ben

Akkarin wrote: Well I work at a games retailer lol so roughly how much did you pay for it and how long ago?

Also is it a netbook (very small laptop) or a notebook (standard/large size laptop)

I didn't actually buy it myself so I can't be sure exactly but it's a standard size Sony Vaio which I believe is a 2007-ish model and is probably a low-end relatively basic laptop (it's a VGN-NR21J/S if that helps).

There's a handy sticker on it that says things including:

CPU - Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2330, Enhanced Intel SppedStep Technology, 1.60 GHz
Memory - 2GB/Go DDR2 SDRAM
HDD - 200 GB/Go
WLAN - 802.11 b/g
Graphics - Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium

I tried to look for some more specific specifications on Google but I really have no idea what I'm looking for so I figured I'd just leave it at that.

Anyway, to me it sounds old enough and basic enough that I would imagine it would have trouble running such a new and advanced game.

B.Div | OCP

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50338 by
Hi, Brother John,

Star Wars - The Old Republic (SWTOR) is a massively multi-player online role-playing game (MMORPG). One buys the basic game DVD for US$59.99. The game can be downloaded from http://buy.swtor.com/us/. There is also a monthly subscription fee of US$14.99 for each month of play.

Here are the system requirements according to the website:

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista/7

RAM:
Windows XP: 1.5GB
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB
PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card:
ATI X1800 or better*
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

DVD-ROM:
8x or better

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

I play on a Sony VAIO laptop, model VPCF115FM, and I can play with most settings on medium. The game requires a fairly high-end laptop or mid-range desktop. I wouldn't get a system with the built-in Intel graphics. I haven't gotten any games to play decently on that video chipset, even though it's usually supported.

Just remember that the specifications are the MINIMUM requirements. You could play the game, but you would be very frustrated with the performance. I would recommend getting 4 GB of RAM (I have 6Gb of RAM), an i7 quad-core processor, and the NVidia or ATI graphics card with 512 MD of on-board video RAM.

I hope this helps.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50339 by
Hi, V-Tog. Unfortaunately, you system is a bit outdated. It doesn't meet the minimum requirements. It's a great system for most things, though.

Donna

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50360 by
I'm still debating on getting this game. Was in the beta forums and forgot to check my email one day for the beta sign up. The game I play now cause I can go to walmart and buy cards since money is tight with me for the moment is everquest 2.

but, once I find work and a steady form of income I'll let ya know when I do start playing this.

More
12 years 2 months ago #50371 by Br. John
Thank you Donna. That helps. I have an I7, 6GB and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 but my graphics card won't do. Maybe one day.

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50722 by
I recommend someone deciding what server we should play on soon.

The most important decision to decide this is:

PvE("normal"), PvP, RP, or RP-PvP server?

(That is Player vs Environment, Player vs Player, and Roleplaying for you non-mmo-speaking types)

I am fond of PvP and RP-PvP servers myself. There is just something fun about getting into a random scuffle, but I know some people find such things annoying.

Then there is the question of whether we shall make just a republic guild for the temple, or a republic and imperial guild... etc. etc.

So yeah. I suggest we decide what server type and what server time zone first.
The only time zones available are East Coast, West Coast, and Europe. :P Truth be told this is more about server location than about actual timing since anybody can log into any of these servers and the game displays your own time (at least mine does, dunno if there is an option to change this.)

Anyway, someone should pick a server soon so we know where to go. :P If we could get a discussion about server type going then we can pull a server name out of the hat afterward.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #50749 by
If it helps, I play Republic on Vornskr (PvE) and Empire on Ajunta Pall (RP-PvP).

Also, for video card troubles: as long as it meets the minimum requirements, you can set all the settings to medium or high and turn off shadows and still get 11-20 average FPS. Pretty much everyone who doesn't have a top of the line video card will have to do this.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by . Reason: added video settings info.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50753 by

Donna wrote: I would like to join or start of guild of Jedi Temple members who play the game. Who is interested?:)

I am totally glued to this game! Count me in! Let me know the server!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #50794 by
How precipitous, I have a few characters on Empire-side on Ajunta Pall myself.

Nevertheless, since this forum is focused mainly on -jedi- it seems somewhat odd for us to go to the opposite side for a game.

Well, since we won't settle on this if someone doesn't pick SOMETHING...

Let's go Republic on Ven Zallow!

(Rationale: RP-PvP makes the game slightly more interesting, plus it is on the East Coast and TOTJO is based in Texas so it is one time zone closer to where the Order is physically based than Ajunta Pall....)

Nevertheless, those with an imperial streak might still go to Ajunta Pall to get in touch with their dark side. heh. Or go empire on Ven Zallow and be opposing force.

Anyway though, I have decided to go with Ven Zallow, Republic side. Who is with me?

Edit: When you make a character there, be sure to get in touch with me. My handle on this server is also Starshade.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #51873 by
I am open to whatever. I play this in my down time. Love the game, the story line, and the total package! I believe it would be a great source of interaction for members of the temple that enjoy playing such games. Bring it to a vote or chime in on what is to be decided. I'm all for this! I've missed my folks here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi